Author Topic: Liverpool articles/interesting reads/discussion  (Read 470131 times)

Offline lewlian

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Liverpool articles/interesting reads
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 16:15 »

Good read indeed. Cheers for sharing. It has been a wonderful season just seeing Torres play (even for the pre-season game against Portsmouth in HK).
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline lewlian

Silver linings abound...
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 08:18 »
To put things in perspective...

Silver linings abound
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
Re: Silver linings abound...
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 22:53 »
To put things in perspective...

Silver linings abound

From the article:-
Regardless of who wins this year's final, no team in Europe has a better Champions League record than the Liverpool manager in Benítez's four years –– the Reds are joint-best with AC Milan, who have also won one of two finals, reached one further semi-final, and fallen at the last-16 stage since Benítez took charge.

If that's not progress for a club ailing in the UEFA Cup in 2003/04, I am utterly at a loss to suggest what is.

IMHO, a real challenge for the EPL. 

I'm no Scouser, but for the club with the most titles, to not win one for 18 years is, well,  unacceptable.  Sure, per the article, the number of points that Pool have finished behind the winners has reduced, but I'd be hard pressed to say that Rafa has ever seriously challenged for the title.  The writer notes that Pool have totalled more points in the last three seasons than Arsenal have, but that's a rather disingenuous way of arguing that Pool have moved forward -- it's more a sign of how Arsenal slipped the past few years, after the Invincibles season.  And this season Arsenal were in fact serious contenders for the title, until they imploded in March -- I don't think Pool can say the same.

Once upon a time that record of 18 titles looked unassailable.  Not any more : if ManYoo win it this season -- and they are narrow favourites to do so -- they go to 17 titles...
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 13:00 »
we had a poooooooor run after that trashing of Derby - drawing against "lower" opposition. its typical of the malaise we've had in the last couple of years - dominating some games but unable to translate that into wins. hopefully we can improve on that score and not drop so many points.

Portsmouth (A)
Birmingham (H)
Wigan (H)
Boro (A)

Why Gareth Barry though? I thought we had trouble fitting in all those midfielders. what we need is a goalscorer - and they're asking for Crouch
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 13:07 by SiriuslyCold »

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 13:20 »
Why Gareth Barry though? I thought we had trouble fitting in all those midfielders. what we need is a goalscorer - and they're asking for Crouch

Barry would be cheaper than completing the Mascherano transfer, I think. And Mascherano just seems to be trouble - it isn't just his foolish sending off against United, he was up to the same sarcastic whining against Chelski in the second leg.

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline SiriuslyCold

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 15:37 »
we can't buy Masch twice

Offline liverpudian

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 18:58 »
Barry would be cheaper than completing the Mascherano transfer, I think. And Mascherano just seems to be trouble - it isn't just his foolish sending off against United, he was up to the same sarcastic whining against Chelski in the second leg.
we can't buy Masch twice

He! He! Ya we already bought him in Feb this year iirc. Unlike torres, yet to be fully proven if it is money well spent though. But i'll say he's the best defensive midfielder in the current pool's squad. Like kuyt, can be relied on to give his 100% on the field (but like kuyt might not get the desired outcome though. ;))

Think barry is meant to replace alonso whose best spell in pool is clearly over & will likely be off-loaded next season. Given his good partnership with SG during the last few england matches in the euro qualifying round, guess rafa is hoping it'll be great to replicate that partnership at club level.

Btw wonder why is alonso considered a defensive midfielder? The guy cannot tackle for nuts & is always giving away free kicks with his clumsy/ill-timed tackles in dangerous area. IMO with his superb vision & ability to pick up a long-range pass, he is more a play-maker ie a defensive midfielder (eg masch) give alonso the ball after breaking up an attack & let him pick up a teammate with a defence-splitting/cross-field pass.

What do you guys think? What kind of player would you classify him as?

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 22:31 »
we can't buy Masch twice

my mistake...thought you hadn't completed the purchase.

in that case, hope you're happy with him  ;D

Offline SiriuslyCold

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 10:33 »
when he matures a bit he will be more than awesome; right now he's a bit hotheaded, but he's probably the best defensive midfielder in the league right now

Offline lewlian

Re: Silver linings abound...
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 10:55 »
From the article:-
IMHO, a real challenge for the EPL. 

I'm no Scouser, but for the club with the most titles, to not win one for 18 years is, well,  unacceptable.  Sure, per the article, the number of points that Pool have finished behind the winners has reduced, but I'd be hard pressed to say that Rafa has ever seriously challenged for the title.  The writer notes that Pool have totalled more points in the last three seasons than Arsenal have, but that's a rather disingenuous way of arguing that Pool have moved forward -- it's more a sign of how Arsenal slipped the past few years, after the Invincibles season.  And this season Arsenal were in fact serious contenders for the title, until they imploded in March -- I don't think Pool can say the same.

Once upon a time that record of 18 titles looked unassailable.  Not any more : if ManYoo win it this season -- and they are narrow favourites to do so -- they go to 17 titles...

Club form over a season or more is just like the financial markets. There'll be ups and downs so in a nutshell if Liverpool can 'close' the gap on the top 3 year on year, it can be considered an improvement irrespective if any one club implodes or otherwise. It doesn't matter.

It is nevertheless true and frustrating with regards to being static on 18 titles and not one EPL to boot but cest la vie. The past couple of years is definitely a much better improvement in terms of progress than before, qualitatively or quantitatively, no one can argue that.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Spunky

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 12:50 »
barry would be a great player to have....but on the downside, he's already 27! :(
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline lewlian

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 13:00 »

I couldn't figure out why we needed another midfielder too especially for the price/age. Some quarters did mention he is left footed so not sure how much weight that is going to help to be honest. Perhaps some stats on assists/attacks/goals for him may surface.  :P
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 14:19 »
there seems to be a perception that liverpool are just one or two players away from challenging for the premiership title, provided either rafa learns to manage for league success or you get a manager who knows how to win the title.

frankly, i don't think this liverpool squad is even close to winning a championship. if they do make it to 3rd, it will be because arsenal falls apart.

simple experiment - how many of the liverpool players would be good enough to be a regular first-choice for united, chelski or arsenal? how many would even be regular squad players?

from a united perspective, i'd take only torres and maybe gerard, although stevie boy has looked more and more jaded as time goes by - he's clearly tired out by carrying liverpool fc on his back.

Offline SiriuslyCold

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 14:38 »
ooo, wes brown over jamie carragher? LOL

to me the whole has to be more than the sum of its parts... so a head to head isn't really relevant
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 14:40 by SiriuslyCold »

Offline lewlian

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 15:03 »

LOL. Some dudes sure get carried away eh what with the league title so near at hand.

I wouldn't even insult Fergie/Grant/Wenger doing the player by player comparison as SC rightly pointed out. Too many star players and what do you get... Real Madrid and Barca to but name two glaring examples.
You'll Never Walk Alone