Author Topic: Aurum Cantus Speakers  (Read 25228 times)

francis woo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Aurum Cantus Speakers
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 10:10 »
Got a quote from Hi-Fi-Tone at HK$16,000.00 for the V6F and HK$20,000.00 for the VbF.  If firmed, can maybe reduce by about 2 - 5%.  Can consider lah!!!

Online Goldberg

• Enjoy your music for yourself & not others.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 22:48 »
Haha, no intention to get from overseas. I rather have a peace of mind if any problem arise. Big speakers problematic lah. Small one still ok.

Wait for V8F to come first lah.
Marantz SA-7S1 (Reference SACD Player)
Marantz NA-11S1 (DAC/Reference Network Player)
Marantz SC-7S2 (Reference Pre)
Karan Acoustics KAS400 (Stereo Dual Mono Power Amp)
Focal Scala Utopia (Speakers)
NBS & Siltech (Cables)
Jade Audio IsoGen2 (Isolation Footers)
PLixir BAC Elementa 2500 (Power Conditioner)
NBS Mine (Power Conditioner)

francis woo

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 11:14 »
Yesterday, my friend brought his Dynaduio Audience 42 to my place for a listening session. How does my Aurum Cantus compares to the Dynaudio Audience 42.  Playing the track 'tin pan alley' from a SRV cd, the Aurum sounded smooth, had adequate bass punch, deep and wide soundstage and a little laid back on the guitar lead and snare attack, overall quite well presented.  The Dynaudio, however, was up a notch.  There is more bite and aggressiveness, same deep and wide soundstage, bass was punchier and livelier.  I admit that I prefer the Dynaudio here.  It sounded right for this genre of music.
However, when it comes to vocals, the Aurum really shines, beating the Dynaudio brashness with sweet, mellow and extended high.  You can listen to the Aurum for hours without getting fatigue.  The Aurums look high-end and to me, sound high-end (well......almost) for the price of S$650 and I wudn't trade them for the Dynaudios at S$1,800.  For the budget consciouses, look no further.
Don't believe me,  come and have a listen and you will be amazed........ :)
(MHZs CD88E cdp + Ming Da MC34-A06 tube int amp + belden 1313a cables)

Offline hifiluv

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 11:21 »
yes, was at his place over the weekend, the combi is sweet and soothing, can listen endessly.. ;D

a real good looking pair too..... ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:25 by hifiluv »

Offline Spunky

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33 »
a picture to whet the appetite!! ;D

S$650 niah!!
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

francis woo

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 14:21 »
BTW, I forgot to mention that the speakers are placed on bar stool stands which is not the proper way to site any speakers for that matter.  Image if proper speaker stands were used, the sound wud be up a notch and once run in (now almosts 18 hours)......hmm....... :)

Online Goldberg

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 21:35 »
Hehheh, good that you enjoy it. I'm still waiting for the V8F. Checked with Jay last nite, he don't have a clear date from the manufacturer due to order from overseas since Jay only order a pair of V6F & V8F for his showroom.

BTW, he said his shop will be close from fri to next tues as he's attending the HK HiFi Show.
NBS & Siltech (Cables)

francis woo

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 10:00 »
Just to let you know that I have already made appointment with HifiTone in Hong Kong to audition their V6F this weekend.  They don't stock the V8F but can order them if you want them.  I am really looking forward to this and if the price is right, I may consider buying it. ....stay tuned....... ;)

Online Goldberg

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 11:33 »
You'll be amaze by V6F performance. The bass is tight and solid. The mid is sweet and just right. The high is extended and airy with wide soundstage. Of cos', you'll need  ample power to drive them to get the best out of it.

I've heard them months ago at Jay Audio b4 a customer bought it. We put V6F thru' jazz, blues, classical to pop & rock (Maroon5, Dire Strait, Queen, Nirvana). For a Dynaudio fan like me, the V6F is really impressive.

BTW, how much is Hifi Tone selling V6F & V8F?
NBS & Siltech (Cables)

francis woo

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 13:05 »
HK$16,000 and $20,000 respectively.  Not discounted yet!  If I can get around HK12,000 for the V6f, I will buy it.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 22:06 »
MHZs CD88E cdp + Ming Da MC34-A06 tube int amp + belden 1313a cables + Leisure 2

This combination is a potent combination which will give the mainstream brands a good fight, and for less than 3k shipped, this will be a serious setup to rival some others costing much more. Nice Francis.

Tell us how much the whole setup for AV costs
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline domho8

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 22:44 »
Francis got a large hall that allows alot of breathing space for spks whether big or small.  ;D ;D

tok_kong88

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 00:31 »
i chance upon a pair at a car hifi installer shop where they have a separate room nicely done up for guests to relax. the aurum cantus speakers were driven by a SET amp & source provided by a marantz 63se... wow... xtremely impressive... hear it to believe how good they are...

those of you wish to audition, try go to 3rd floor, technolink, kaki bukit (above chery car show showroom), this company deals in alpine in-car systems supply & installation. (can't remember the name of company though)...

francis woo

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 15:34 »
No lah, my AV system pretty old and nothing to crow about.  I am waiting for the V8F to come so that I can replace my NHTs' for 5.1 set up.  Anybody interested in my old NHTs.... :D

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 16:21 »
Anyone had any experience with the Melody series? BTW Francis which model is your Cantus?
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.