Author Topic: $1.5k to 2k for whole HT setup  (Read 17917 times)

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
$1.5k to 2k for whole HT setup
« on: June 17, 2007, 23:59 »
Hi gurus here, is it possible to setup everything for 1.5k?
My wishlist will include:

1) Dvd upscaling capability dvd player
2) Amp + 5.1 HT system
3) Any hidden cost like cables etc.

I have tried reading through the forum, but cant seems to find anyone going for setup this cheap (with everything included). Will appreciate sincere help or advise.

Thanks in advance guys.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:34 by ralfale »

Offline ralfale

Re: $1.5k for whole HT setup
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 00:10 »
Like to add, most likely i'll be getting a 42" Panny plasma for my new home. Really hope to settle all these before i start my house renovation.  ;)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:30 »
Hi bro welcome
if you type 1.5k you will find this:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=41975.0
bro Jeffong also has a thread on the Panasonic panels in the display section
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline ralfale

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 13:11 »
Hi Pete,

I've actually read through that thread you've given before and already bookmarked it  ;D. However, there's few unknowns in my mind, thus i opened up this thread.

1) Im not v sure which dvd player will pair up nicely with which HT system. Like supporting format etc. Basically, i wanted all the items i've bought to be fully compatible. But i do not want to just walk in a shop and buy everything from there as i believe some shops only carrys certain brands and thus do not give the most value for money advise.

2) The cost of cables ... how much will it cost to wire up the whole system including those to the rear speakers. Also, HDMI cables are expensive isnt it? How much will those cost?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 13:40 »
$1.5K is really kind of 'cut-in' too close to make any kind of sound recommendation in your case.

Unless you're okay with the HTiB package for your Audio dept. And for DVD Player, you can look at Oppo or any other DVD Players with at least 720p/1080i upscaling capability.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 14:09 »
Yep, I suggest 1.5k for an amp - a few choices for 6-7xx
A DVD player - 300 for an Oppo
Then get the front pair first, then upgrade when the money allows. Just use the 'virtual mode' first.

HDMI doesn't have to be costly, i can sell you a brand new one for $40, and you can get them anyway for about that or a bit more.

My gear:

Offline ralfale

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 15:45 »
Maybe i'll take up the advise go for a set of better 3.1 speakers instead. Any recommendations from bros here?

Offline petetherock

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 16:15 »
There are a few threads on 2.1 and 3.1 systems
I like Monitor Audio, if you get the MA BR2 LCR first, you may not need a sub temporarily. EPos EL3 is nice too. Mission M3 is fine too and paradigm (I can feel SC going to suggest this :) )
Add the amp and DVD player first.

My gear:

Offline bomia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 17:25 »
There is a MO for OPPO DVD player ending this week, priced at $425, includsive of a HDMI cable, very worth IMO.

Offline ralfale

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 22:34 »
I just went to SLS to audition KEF 2005 and Wharfedale diamond 9.
Both are at different shops, but my brief experience tells me that KEF has better clarity and power. The dialog is somehow produced 'closer and sharper' to me for the KEF. I'm not sure if its because of the placement of the speakers or the different DVD used. Anyone got feedback on this 2?

Offline ralfale

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 23:23 »
Today i audition a few more ... Q Ascostic, Ekai, PSB intro (not sure if i spelt their name correct).
Wasn't very impressed with this 3 compared to the KEF 2005. However, the last shop i went to showed me the Mirage nanosat. I'm very impressed with the surround sound it presents. I can really feel like im inside the scene!

Now im probably stretching my budget to decide between KEF 2005 or Mirage nanosat. Guys, which one will you take? KEF sounds more precise and has better clarity. It also seems to have tighter bass when playing music. But nanosat has really good soundstage. Seems perfect for movies. Haiz .. dilemma now ...

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 00:59 »
speakers is all about personal preferences - if you like the nanos, then you should get them

Offline jonlee

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:45 »
Get the nano for surrounds.  They can be bought by per speaker.

U can then get bookshelves + matching centre for better music enjoyment.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 08:15 »
Bro, ralfale
It seems your budget has gone to about 1.5k just for the speakers alone :)

Maybe its time to change your thread title :)

Anyway trust your ears, if the Mirage suits you, go for it. BTW there are heaps of threads on satellites too, which will mention the Mirage.

Just make sure your amp is powerful enough to drive them without distortion and budget for a good subwoofer.

My gear:

Offline ralfale

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 09:33 »
Haha thanks for all the bro's reply here.
I'm really getting myself into more trouble by auditing so many speakers. Ever set seems to be getting better, and the price tag keep stressing my budget limit  ;D

I was quoted $1500 for 5 nanosat + PSB sub. Uncle says the original sub that comes with it cost $900 alone. So he suggested pairing up with this PSB sub. Am i overcharged here?

Also, i requested for better cables. So was recommended this $5/m cables ... total for 25m i was charged $100 for it. My concern is is there a need for such cables compared to the normal $1/m kind? how do i identify if its really higher grade cables?

Anyway before i make my purchase, i'll go for another round of audition. Read in other reviews that nanosat sounds thin. What does that means?

Offline jonlee

Re: $1.5k to 2k for whole HT setup
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 09:40 »
thin = no bass.  Most sats will sound thin.  Small sats maybe even the mids also missing.   ;D

Have u listened to the MS Genie?  About 1.5k for a 5.1 setup.  Not bad for the price, as long as u don't mind it is made in china.  Can audition them at KEC.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:42 by jonlee »

Offline ralfale

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 09:51 »
Not yet .. no chance to visit KEC cos i went adelphi late evening last night. They actually closed quite early so i only got to visit 3 shops. Will drop by again on saturday to visit more shops!

Yah i've read that the sub is actually very important to the sats. But i'm not sure about PSB subs though. Not much experience with all these.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 10:13 »
Cables can help to some extent
But if you are on a budget, use this to get the best you can afford first
You want satellites, that is a compromise in sound quality
If you are only into HT, the PSB is ok, anyway the tighter ones will cost a lot more
BTW Mirage has a sub around 5-6xx but its cone is 8 inches

Haha thanks for all the bro's reply here.
I'm really getting myself into more trouble by auditing so many speakers. Ever set seems to be getting better, and the price tag keep stressing my budget limit  ;D

I was quoted $1500 for 5 nanosat + PSB sub. Uncle says the original sub that comes with it cost $900 alone. So he suggested pairing up with this PSB sub. Am i overcharged here?

Also, i requested for better cables. So was recommended this $5/m cables ... total for 25m i was charged $100 for it. My concern is is there a need for such cables compared to the normal $1/m kind? how do i identify if its really higher grade cables?

Anyway before i make my purchase, i'll go for another round of audition. Read in other reviews that nanosat sounds thin. What does that means?

My gear:

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47 »
Every set seems to be getting better, and the price tag keep stressing my budget limit  ;D

;D Better keep within budget - else end up like my colleague who eventually spent over 10 times his original budget for a top of the line M&K + Denon setup. He has no regrets, though. Sounds great!

Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline jonlee

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 11:39 »
Dbchoong, u bad! :)

Offline ralfale

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 11:51 »
This is a very expensive hobby to keep.
But still, its cheaper than playing with cars  ;D

Offline ralfale

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 14:00 »
Hi all,

I've decided to get the mirage speakers.
Can anyone recommend me a suitable sub and amp for around $1000?
ps: need a amp can output 100w per channel. Previously was eyeing Marantz SR4001 but realised it only support up to 80w. what is the 'brother' to this model that provides 100w and hdmi out?

Is my budget too little?

Offline petetherock

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 14:04 »
I suggest you stretch to 1.2k and review the Marantz SR 7001 if you like the family sound.

Also do post a review of your mirages in the sats thread, and try them with the amp you are looking at.

KEC has some subwoofer choices you can try them and see what fits your budget

My gear:

Offline ralfale

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 14:12 »
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the prompt reply. 2 question here.

1) For a 100w rated speaker, do i need 100w output amp to drive? Or i can still use a 80w output amp and it will sound fine?

2) Matching of sub to speaker, are they heavily inter-related? Or i should can test the sub alone and if it sounds deep and tight, it should work fine for all speakers.

Cheers.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 14:16 »
Forget the specs bro, main thing is to audition them speakers with the amp and see if it sounds breathless especially during dynamic transients

How to spot these, I have some tips in the 1-1.5k thread.

Same with the sub, integration will allow a wall of seamless sound, with no hole where the frquencies drop off.
SVS is not bad, but not sold locally and may be beyond your budget, see the svs section.
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the prompt reply. 2 question here.

1) For a 100w rated speaker, do i need 100w output amp to drive? Or i can still use a 80w output amp and it will sound fine?

2) Matching of sub to speaker, are they heavily inter-related? Or i should can test the sub alone and if it sounds deep and tight, it should work fine for all speakers.

Cheers.

My gear:

Offline ralfale

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 23:24 »
Yup i've checked out svs section before. Seems like lots of bros here like them.
I think from the thread cheapest sub already cost $800?

Probably above my budget as i still need to cater for amp and cables .. :(

How about the Wharfedale SW-150 sub? That is award winning one right? I've heard it with the diamond set speakers. Seems great.

Btw, what does 'family sound' means? ;)

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 23:51 »
2 question here.

1) Don't worry about the power rating too much. But more amp power always welcome. ;)

2) You can test the sub alone.

$1k for both amp + sub does limit your choices. If it were me with the $1.2k (top up a bit), I'd choose a cheap amp, good sub route. Maybe try to source a 2nd hand Panny XR AVR for about $400 and splash the remainder for a SVS. But that's just me.

;D
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline petetherock

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 23:56 »
Each brand usually carries their own sonic signature, hence a family sound.

I suggest you choose a few products to audition.

What does ' good' mean to you bro?
A $400 product which is as good as a $1000 one?

Given your budget contraints, keep to it or use as much as you can afford to get something you like, buy less first, say a decent amp and sub, two channels first and spend more when you can, rather than get a product which you feel is a compromise.

IMHO

Yup i've checked out svs section before. Seems like lots of bros here like them.
I think from the thread cheapest sub already cost $800?

Probably above my budget as i still need to cater for amp and cables .. :(

How about the Wharfedale SW-150 sub? That is award winning one right? I've heard it with the diamond set speakers. Seems great.

Btw, what does 'family sound' means? ;)

My gear:

Offline ralfale

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 00:01 »
1) Don't worry about the power rating too much. But more amp power always welcome. ;)

2) You can test the sub alone.

$1k for both amp + sub does limit your choices. If it were me with the $1.2k (top up a bit), I'd choose a cheap amp, good sub route. Maybe try to source a 2nd hand Panny XR AVR for about $400 and splash the remainder for a SVS. But that's just me.

;D

I have been playing around with the figures as well. Was actually thinking to get a amp without hdmi, that should save me some money. Have also been looking for second hand, but not much success though :(

My current idea of setup is like this. Please advise if my thoughts are correct.

dvd player with upscaling --> tv (via hdmi)
dvd player --> amp (through coaxial cable?)
amp --> remaining speakers

I am actually wondering what do i need hdmi input/output for amp? Can u guys enlighten me. I hv connected dvd player direct to tv instead of via the amp. What other purpose does the amp hdmi out serves me?  ???

Offline ralfale

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 00:02 »
I have been playing around with the figures as well. Was actually thinking to get a amp without hdmi, that should save me some money. Have also been looking for second hand, but not much success though :(

My current idea of setup is like this. Please advise if my thoughts are correct.

dvd player with upscaling --> tv (via hdmi)
dvd player --> amp (through coaxial cable?)
amp --> remaining speakers

I am actually wondering what do i need hdmi input/output for amp? Can u guys enlighten me. I hv connected dvd player direct to tv instead of via the amp. What other purpose does the amp hdmi out serves me?  ???

In fact, i do not mind getting the whole set from 2nd hand as long as the right product comes along  ;D But then, seems like resale market for hifi stuffs not so happening in singapore.

Online deepakvali

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • La Resistance !
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 12:22 »
In fact, i do not mind getting the whole set from 2nd hand as long as the right product comes along  ;D But then, seems like resale market for hifi stuffs not so happening in singapore.

the reason is because regardless of what price a seller trying to sell, buyer always ask for discount  ;) it is sort of like a disease which i am infected too  ;D ;D

also if it is the low end ht stuff, selling 2nd hand renders it almost no value, but if u got patience, over some weeks/months, you will definitely be able to find something, especially the amplifier
Dynaudio Focus 110 - looking for new home and also other budget cables ;)

Offline ralfale

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 16:37 »
There's always an amount where both buyer and selling are willing to meet. But now, the problem im facing is more like there's not much items that i wanted to buy available.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal