Author Topic: Pioneer plasma / LED panel thread - share info and tips  (Read 357909 times)

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: Pioneer plasma / LED panel thread - share info and tips
« Reply #1515 on: January 02, 2019, 11:39 »
I moved my KRP 500A to my daughter's place but the remote not working So using the remote from a Pioneer BD player. Does anyone know where to get a replacement remote. The picture still very solid on Blu-rays especially the blacks and contrast. Still working perfectly after 9 years and moving it 3 times from Singapore to Australia. She not interested in UHD.
The Pioneer remotes are quite costly, that is if you can find one. Getting a Logitech universal may be one solution..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline Sunblock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1517 on: January 02, 2019, 13:28 »
Here is the physical comparison between the two remotes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline titactoh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !
« Reply #1518 on: January 02, 2019, 13:56 »
Hi All, I’m still using the Pioneer plasma TV😅😅😅
42” model and still going strong after 11 yrs..
Made in Japan stuffs really solid.. really last of the Mohicans..😰😰
Waiting for it to die naturally n change to OLED..

I own a Pioneer PdP436xga since 2nd Dec 2006 at $3,768/
There were to 4 repairs done over the years with the last in Dec 2016 where the motherboard ( supposedly the last pc left according to Ken the technician )  was replaced in Dec 2016. Total repair cumulative cost about $1000 over the years.

Colour is as natural as ever. Had a problem with On/Off button but improvised it and is still working.

Occasionally switches from Input 1 to 3 . Had to switch back by remote. Maybe because 2 Dvd players sharing a Switcher with the Display while it shows its age. There is a tiny 2mm red dot on top right corner which only shows when background is black but does not bother my viewing.

My Pioneer Plasma has not burnt marks at all. Would still buy a Pioneer Plasma if they were to produce, never mind the heat and power consumption.
Most high end tvs have very clear and true colours but where ever we go and see with our own natural eyes everything around us, the sky the trees, rivers and mountains they not the colours intense colours that are shown on the latest Tv screens.

So now making preparation in event of its demise.

Went to HN looking for Lg Oled yesterday but was recommended Samsung 55" Q7F with HDR+2. Understand no Veritcal Banding and no Burnt marks.

Understand Lg Oled has Vertical Banding and Burnt in problems.

See :
LG OLED burn-in at Incheon Airport reignites controversy
LG's 2018-model OLED TV installed at Incheon International Airport has shown signs of burn-in, only months after installation, reigniting worries over the long-term reliability of the technology.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-burn-in-at-incheon-airport-reignites-controversy/

LG switches airport OLED to LCD amid burn-in row
LG has replaced its 2018 model OLED TV installed at Incheon International Airport with LCD TV as it couldn't resolve the fundamental issue of burn-in.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/

Have always been wanting LG Oled as my next TV but now have 2nd thoughts so requesting bros. for advice at another thread.

Just sharing the journey.

Online petetherock

« Reply #1519 on: January 02, 2019, 16:59 »
Here is the physical comparison between the two remotes:

That's nice. That looks like the Kuro remote. Thumbs up

My gear:

Offline alvin01

« Reply #1520 on: January 03, 2019, 18:11 »
Hi All, I’m still using the Pioneer plasma TV😅😅😅
42” model and still going strong after 11 yrs..
Made in Japan stuffs really solid.. really last of the Mohicans..😰😰
Waiting for it to die naturally n change to OLED..

I'm in exactly the same situation.

The 428XG has served me brilliantly for 11 years and it's still going strong.  But I've been hankering for a bigger screen and finally got the missus' approval to get a 55 inch OLED.  I've narrowed it down to the Sony A9F and the Panasonic FZ950. I started out looking at the LG C8 but have since dropped it from my list as I prefer the colour tuning of the other two.

I'm more than partial to the Sony but the only trouble is the ludicrous "Sony tax" we pay in Singapore.  I was recently quoted S$5,200 for the 55 inch A9F, which is more than double the price of the 55 inch FZ950 (can be had for around S$2,200).  By way of comparison, the 55 inch C8 goes for just over S$3,000 before recent moves to promote the B8 in favour of the C8.  In other countries, these 3 model are more closely priced. 

I have half a mind to bring an A9F back from JB - a friend made enquiries recently and was quoted RM10,900 for the 55 inch A9F.  If we add 6% Malaysian sales tax and 7% Singapore GST, it comes in at around S$4,100 - still a grand cheaper than in Singapore.  I'm only holding back because I forgo the warranty, although someone on HWZ suggested getting the Harvey Norman extended warranty, which is apparently regional and covers Singapore.  But that's an additional sum in the mix and narrows the gap.

So, I'm still deliberating.  But I'm patient for the Pioneer still serves me well.  The OLED by all accounts delivers the best picture quality to date but there is something just so organic about the plasma picture quality that I'm not sure that the OLED can replicate.  LCDs/LEDs have come a long way but they still don't do it for me - I was at friend's recently watching a live football match and I felt like I was watching a console game.  I came back home and watched another match on the plasma and it was night and day - just so much more like the real thing.  They still haven't beaten plasmas after all these years.

Offline titactoh

« Reply #1521 on: January 03, 2019, 21:12 »

"They still haven't beaten plasmas after all these years."  I do not know how true it is but what I see at showroom are not the natural colours that is see on my Pioneer Plasma. It is similar to what I see with my own eyes outside, of the sky, the greenery, the waterway, the fish in the wet market and vege and fruits in the supermarket.

But are you not worried about what has been reported about Vertical Banding and Burnt in on Oled panels ? I have always been  hankering  for a Lg Oled but now I have mixed feelings and waiting for some kind soul to tell me why Samsung Qled is not as good as Oled.

Prefer for comfort to buy in Sg. with 5yr cover. within $4k

Thanks for sharing.

Offline alvin01

« Reply #1522 on: January 03, 2019, 23:04 »
"They still haven't beaten plasmas after all these years."  I do not know how true it is but what I see at showroom are not the natural colours that is see on my Pioneer Plasma. It is similar to what I see with my own eyes outside, of the sky, the greenery, the waterway, the fish in the wet market and vege and fruits in the supermarket.

But are you not worried about what has been reported about Vertical Banding and Burnt in on Oled panels ? I have always been  hankering  for a Lg Oled but now I have mixed feelings and waiting for some kind soul to tell me why Samsung Qled is not as good as Oled.

Prefer for comfort to buy in Sg. with 5yr cover. within $4k

Thanks for sharing.

I can’t comment on the Samsung QLED as it’s not on my shortlist.  I do recall reading that it’s a variant of LED in that it’s not an emissive panel, unlike OLEDs.  The game changer I understand is MicroLED of which Samsung is a proponent.

What I can say is that I’ve not had a positive experience with Samsungs.  It’s something about their colour tuning that I don’t find agreeable.  I had a Samsung PC monitor some years back that was quite a pain - I couldn’t get it looking right no matter how I adjusted the settings. It was a relieve when I finally changed to a Dell.

As for vertical banding, there have been some issues with certain batches of LGs. For the most part, it’s not something that would bother you under normal viewing. Shouldn’t be an issue unless you’re the anal sort who goes looking for it.  As for burn in, they made a big thing about this as well for plasmas but what I’ve found is you needn’t worry as long as you’re using the panel sensibly, i.e. watch a variety of programmes, not just news broadcasts with stationary logos and news tickers. At worst, it will just be temporary image retention that goes away.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #1523 on: January 03, 2019, 23:29 »
They still haven't beaten plasmas after all these years.

I’m with you on this point. I still enjoy watching on my HT den plasma TV, the colours are so life like.

I’ve had various LCD TV pass through my living room; they cannot match the plasma color accuracy.
[Rant On]Worse still the LCD TV dies within 12months of warranty ending. I hate the idea of buying another TV from LG or Samsung. Really crap. I’ve replaced the living room LG expensive unit with a cheapo Philip set which looks like its gonna outlast LG or Samsung. [Rant off]

I also like Dell PremierColor monitor which I use for photo editing. Very lasting and has superb color accuracy for a LCD panel. I only wish they made a color accurate monitor that is huge - 55” or larger, then it would be a great option as the plasma tv replacement.

Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Online petetherock

« Reply #1524 on: January 03, 2019, 23:34 »
If they made a 75” kuro, I will be first in line for it  ;D

My gear:

Offline alvin01

« Reply #1525 on: January 04, 2019, 23:16 »
If they made a 75” kuro, I will be first in line for it  ;D

Take a number, Bro. There’ll be no shortage of discerning videophiles in the queue.

What I’d give for a 55 inch Kuro that does HDR - doesn’t even matter if it’s not 4K.

Offline titactoh

« Reply #1526 on: January 07, 2019, 18:03 »

I like to know about the Warranty of 3 + 2.

Does the  manufacturer provide the first 3 years and the Retailer provide the next 2 years ?

Does any company provide Guaranty at all ?

If Guaranties/Warranties are provided by the manufacturer then it does not matter which retailer I buy from so long as it has the best price whereas if it is the retailer then the integrity and the company's standing will be a consideration.

Any advice from bros.