Author Topic: Connecting iphone5/6 to existing hifi  (Read 2154 times)

Offline hw

• Trade Count: (0)
Connecting iphone5/6 to existing hifi
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:02 »
hey guys,
what would be a good way to connect my iphone (5 and 6) to an integrated amp? I don't intend to spend much (less than $500) as I'd just be streaming from online radio stations where the quality won't be exactly "very good".

Have a nice day!

Offline milk_vanilla

Re: Connecting iphone5/6 to existing hifi
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:21 »
depends on your digital input availability, each int. amp model might vary.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:52 »
I use a camera kit to get the USB interface to connect to my emotiva DC-1 dac or other dac (not all dacs work) or my emotiva XMC-1 also works. I have a diy dac that also works (cheap)
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:25 »
1.  iphone connector to male rca
2.  headphone 3.5m jack to male rca

happy listening.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:31 »
There is supposed to be a LOD on the lightning connector that uses a dac in the lightning connector but I haven't seen one. I have used the lightning to 30pin then connected to the old 30pin camera to usb kit...then to the DAC or LOD

http://www.quora.com/Does-a-lightning-cable-with-audio-out-and-USB-exist

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168555/what_apples_new_lightning_connector_means_for_you.html

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=107435

google as always if your friend
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42 »
another option would be a bluetooth to line out adaptor ... I just got 2 of these myself  ;D  one for a friend and one for me...out headphone outputs are not well

ok here is something... https://shop.brando.com/portable-stereo-bluetooth-adapter_p10908c299d57.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:52 by wizardofoz »

Offline TheMachinist

• Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 11:03 »
hey guys,
what would be a good way to connect my iphone (5 and 6) to an integrated amp? I don't intend to spend much (less than $500) as I'd just be streaming from online radio stations where the quality won't be exactly "very good".

Have a nice day!

Get a Marantz CD6003/4/5 CD player. It has USB port in front and works up as a digital input to your iphone as a source using regular USB cable. The CD players sound great too. There is a used CD6003 on sale right now.

You will be able to stream Online radio/Spotify/music or any source from your Iphone to the CD Player. The CD Player will display the song title and info and use its internal DAC. Additionally your phone will be charged and won't drain battery.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:07 by TheMachinist »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 11:10 »
some small USB dacs might also work via a powered USB hub IIRC

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 11:33 »
I would suggest what The Wiz said, a Bluetooth receiver hooked up to your integrated amplifier. Ebay has lots of good ones costing less than $100.
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N5P/6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline hw

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 13:30 »
Thanks guys! I'm thinking along the lines of a Marantz CDP with USB input as well since I need to get a new CPD. But I guess the CDP has to be switched on for the USB connection to work?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 13:34 by hw »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal