Author Topic: connecting hifi speakers to PC  (Read 1153 times)

Offline adamsandler

• Trade Count: (0)
connecting hifi speakers to PC
« on: April 09, 2007, 20:56 »
I wonder if anyone here can advise me on this.

I have a pair of unused hifi speakers which I thought could be put to good use with my home PC.  How do I go about in setting up the speakers for use with the PC?  Do I need to add a soundcard or can I just use the onboard ones?  I will also need an integrated amp to connect to the PC but there is no RCA connections found on the cpu for this connection.  How do I go about it?  I thought I can achieve better sound with the audiophile type speakers that I have rather than the all-in-one PC speakers.

Thanks for advise!  :) 
Verity Parsifal Ovation, Naim 282, 250.5, Hi-cap. Denon DP75 Turntable.

Offline louco73

• Louco73's Place on the Internet
Re: connecting hifi speakers to PC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:00 »
The onboard sound is normally not of the best quality. You can certainly try it first to see if you are happy with it. I would recommend getting a decent sound card if you are fussy ;). Given you just want good stereo output I would recommend Onkyo sound cards that Storage Studio in Sim Lim Square has. I've not heard them, but I've read they are very good.

I have an Xplosion, but I use the digital out from my sound card to my AVR and DAC, not the analogue out.

Now I'm confused, you talk about using the onboard sound card, but say there are no connections? You should be able to get cables that convert the speaker out from your motherboard to RCAs in most electronics stores.

You could get a simple digital amp (small and low heat output) rather than getting an analogue integrated amp. Up to you, but you will need something to power the speakers.

I'm sure you will get better sound, it's just going to be a matter of is it all worth it :).
http://www.louco73.com to see some of my home theatre and hi-fi journey.

Offline sonofdbn

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:41 »
You just need to connect PC->Integrated amp->Speakers. If you have onboard sound, there should be a line out connector on the PC. You can buy a line-out to RCA connector and then use that to connect to your integrated amp. Try that first and see if the sound is acceptable before spending money on a soundcard.

Offline TubeBoy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:47 »
Using my office xtremeplace account to post this:

Thanks for the great and practical advise!  I will try the line-out to RCA converter to see if the onboard sound is okay for my taste.  I suppose I can get the line-out to RCA converter at Sim Lim Square?   ;)

In the event that I want to install a soundcard, is the process as simple as "plug and play" or do I have to bring my CPU down to the shop to get it re-configured?  Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 12:49 by TubeBoy »