Author Topic: Belden 1313A speaker cable  (Read 166760 times)

Offline Heng

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Belden 1313A speaker cable
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2007, 18:45 »
i hv both, the XT350 is detailed but bright (even with tube amp), the 1313A is detailed but warm,  ;)

:o :o :o

Offline benzx

« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2007, 21:33 »
Tks to Ben, its the Belden 8473, which i m still using for my centre,  :) 

Don't mention it bro, the banana plugs you passed me probably cost more than the belden.

Offline cn9601

« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2007, 16:12 »
OK, bros of Belden poison, after spending 2 days of crawling and digging, I have finally drugged myself with Belden 1313A (biwired stereo cum HT Front spkrs, and Ctr spk) and Belden 1695A Digital Coax. Conclusion.........

After abt 2hrs of burn-in using the Kharam Burn-In CD,

Pop in George Lam LPCD45 track 10, instruments are a little more discrete and his vocal is quite forward and isolated. SACD Dire Straits' Money for Nothing is quite punchy. So generally, I have now a little more detail and punch. But most importantly, the BRIGHTNESS is quite tame. Will have to play Sally LPCD45 to check the BRIGHTNESS - tis the disc tat sounds quite ear piercing.

For HT, play We Were Soldiers, the chopters are more majestic and the arty salvo is as realistic as my NS experience  ;D  (now watching Pete's Dragon DVD, the dragon sounds cuter  :D jokin)

BUT strangely, there is a loss of ard 5-10db of volume level. Dun know it is bcos it is 10AWG copper strands, or yet to Burn-In myth  ::) For eg., previously for HT, listening level is -12db, now hav to pump up to ard -6db  ???

So....so as a raw start, u cant fault tis cable at all  :o  It is still 'a little good here and there', hopefully it will improve over time, as proclaimed by bros in tis thread :P

Will I recommend tis cable?  IMO, for Audioquest Type 4 (or QED XT350), mai tu liao, save the money and go for tis cable at more than half the cost of those 'ahem' brand.

All said and done, tis cable luckily matches my stereo and HT characters, and more luckily rather than amplifying the BRIGHTNESS, Belden helps to tame it.

Bro benz, tks very much for your offer. Normally, I cant audition AV stuff bcos of cabinet furniture. I rely A LOT on XP forum, once poisoned by bros, I tend to go, buy, install and use. Also, I need at least 3m. THANK U again ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 16:58 by cn9601 »

Offline zapp

• This is poison forum...
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2007, 18:25 »
lol...self poison :p

But 1313 solid la...all tks to Hifiluv bro venture to LHS

Offline Heng

« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2007, 20:12 »
Will I recommend tis cable?  IMO, for Audioquest Type 4 (or QED XT350), mai tu liao, save the money and go for tis cable at more than half the cost of those 'ahem' brand.

Wow! Impressive indeed!! Imagine for a single run, XT350 actually costs 5 times more than 1313A!!! Must try it 1 day... :P

Offline black tortoise

« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2007, 22:43 »
Hi cn9601,

You use Belden 1313A for centre speaker also?

OK, bros of Belden poison, after spending 2 days of crawling and digging, I have finally drugged myself with Belden 1313A (biwired stereo cum HT Front spkrs, and Ctr spk) and Belden 1695A Digital Coax. Conclusion.........

After abt 2hrs of burn-in using the Kharam Burn-In CD,

Pop in George Lam LPCD45 track 10, instruments are a little more discrete and his vocal is quite forward and isolated. SACD Dire Straits' Money for Nothing is quite punchy. So generally, I have now a little more detail and punch. But most importantly, the BRIGHTNESS is quite tame. Will have to play Sally LPCD45 to check the BRIGHTNESS - tis the disc tat sounds quite ear piercing.

For HT, play We Were Soldiers, the chopters are more majestic and the arty salvo is as realistic as my NS experience  ;D  (now watching Pete's Dragon DVD, the dragon sounds cuter  :D jokin)

BUT strangely, there is a loss of ard 5-10db of volume level. Dun know it is bcos it is 10AWG copper strands, or yet to Burn-In myth  ::) For eg., previously for HT, listening level is -12db, now hav to pump up to ard -6db  ???

So....so as a raw start, u cant fault tis cable at all  :o  It is still 'a little good here and there', hopefully it will improve over time, as proclaimed by bros in tis thread :P

All said and done, tis cable luckily matches my stereo and HT characters, and more luckily rather than amplifying the BRIGHTNESS, Belden helps to tame it.

Bro benz, tks very much for your offer. Normally, I cant audition AV stuff bcos of cabinet furniture. I rely A LOT on XP forum, once poisoned by bros, I tend to go, buy, install and use. Also, I need at least 3m. THANK U again ;)

Offline cn9601

« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2007, 22:52 »
Hi cn9601,

You use Belden 1313A for centre speaker also?

No discredit to bro hifiluv recommendation, but it's suggested by Robert to have common cable type for Front & Ctr. Anyway, after plus here, plus there, eg. I ask for some jumper cables, I end up sufficient cable length to run 5 x 3m of 1313A  ;D BTW, the HT Front L/R are Pre-Out to Int Amp. So I use 4 x 1313A to biwire from Int Amp (with A & B Outputs).

Offline khakis359

• perfectly natural
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2007, 23:05 »

Hi.. cn9601, r u using 1313a as jumper cable? thanx :D

No discredit to bro hifiluv recommendation, but it's suggested by Robert to have common cable type for Front & Ctr. Anyway, after plus here, plus there, eg. I ask for some jumper cables, I end up sufficient cable length to run 5 x 3m of 1313A  ;D BTW, the HT Front L/R are Pre-Out to Int Amp. So I use 4 x 1313A to biwire from Int Amp (with A & B Outputs).

Offline cn9601

« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2007, 23:10 »
Hi.. cn9601, r u using 1313a as jumper cable? thanx :D

No. The stereo spkrs (also HT Front L/R) are biwired with 1313A. Then single run cable 1313A for Ctr to Onkyo Receiver. The Surr L/R are jumpered using Monster Std 12 cables, though.

Maybe the thicker AWG 10 over Audioquest Type 4 (biwire ready, but has 2 x thicker copper core and 2 x thinner copper core) has helped a little, or it's just I try to hear so  ;)

Offline black tortoise

« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2007, 09:10 »
No. The stereo spkrs (also HT Front L/R) are biwired with 1313A. Then single run cable 1313A for Ctr to Onkyo Receiver. The Surr L/R are jumpered using Monster Std 12 cables, though.

Maybe the thicker AWG 10 over Audioquest Type 4 (biwire ready, but has 2 x thicker copper core and 2 x thinner copper core) has helped a little, or it's just I try to hear so  ;)

Thanks for the clarification. I was also thinking of bi-wire my stereo system. Can you share with me the type of termination u use for the amp end. I assume the termination at the speaker end should be 4 x banana plug. And also what is the cost double run cable with termination? Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline cn9601

« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2007, 10:10 »
I was also thinking of bi-wire my stereo system. Can you share with me the type of termination u use for the amp end. I assume the termination at the speaker end should be 4 x banana plug.

Hi, *black tortoise*. Usually, IMO for DIY cables, if there's no issue for you to go RAW termination, you should. But RAW issue is of cos the oxidation prob. Tats y I tend to get 'long enuiff' cable length, so that I could 'periodically' trim the cable.

For 1313A, it is a challenge bcos of its 10AWG. So I have NO choice but to use banana plug to terminate it at the Int Amp. Even tat, as I couldnt screw in completely tiny screw, I couldnt put back the plug plastic cover.

At the Spkrs, I could terminate RAW.

By yr quest, I assume yr amp oni has ONE spk channel. Chk out Page 8 of this thread you will see HOW to bi-wire. For my Int Amp, it has 2 Spkr Output Channels (A & B). So I could run 2 pairs of 1313A.

Actually, whether bi-wire will yield good sonic is quite subjective. Robert@LHS recommends single run cable, but I insist to go with bi-wire  ;D

And also what is the cost double run cable with termination?

Bro, is tis a test quest  ???   Double run cable = x2 of single cable cost mah
My cost:
15m x 1313A = 15m x $6 = $90.
Then I cut it into 5 x 3m (x4 to biwire, and x1 for single run Ctr Spkr)

3 sets of banana plugs x $7.5 = $22.50 (bought it at B1 near escalator)

1.5m x 1695A with RCA terminator = $22.80 (think 1695A is $9/m)
Tis Digital Coax for CDP to Onkyo Rcv, juz to try digital coax  ;)

The QED XT350 (4 x 3m with 'high class' banana plugs) will cost me $400. Compared to 1313A at $90, you can do the math   ;D  For my kind of below average system, Belden is really value for money stuff. FYI, even the 1m Chord Cobra3 Interconnect cost more than tis  ::)

Once again, 1313A is AWG10 and the copper is damn heavy man (!). As reported in my earlier post, there's a loss of ard 5-10db volume level. And terminating 1313A at spkr or amp can be a challenge. So you ought to know yr system and you may have to consider the other Belden cables to fit yr system. Juz my opinion  :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:22 by cn9601 »

Offline TubeBoy

« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2007, 17:56 »
I am using 1313A with my levinson equipment and it works like a dream.  Do not frown upon the 1313A.  This is my best buy of the year considering I downgraded from XLO signature speaker cables to 1313A.  I would love to experiment with the configuration of the cables and try to put in a shield, so that it becomes quieter.

Anyone here knows how to DIY a shield for speaker cables? 

Offline benzx

« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2007, 23:46 »
hmm... wrap with aluminium foil? or better still, copper foil?

Offline Transworld

• ~Music is my life~
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2007, 05:33 »
Anyone here knows how to DIY a shield for speaker cables? 

You can buy metal shieldings from LHS. Got different diameters to choose from.

Check out my DIY pics here!

Transworld

Offline cn9601

« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2007, 10:11 »
You can buy metal shieldings from LHS. Got different diameters to choose from.

Wah....another poison  :o  Sorie, pls posion me 'What is Metal Shieldings?' Block noise (or static noise)  ???  Or shield from oxidation  ???

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal