Author Topic: Power Cable for SVS Sub  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Whyrlwynd

• Trade Count: (0)
Power Cable for SVS Sub
« on: June 17, 2006, 01:24 »
Hi there, received my PB10-ISD and noticed that the 2 pin power cable is kinda...thin. I wonder if anyone here has tried using those 3 pin power cable (for PC etc) to connect the sub?

Offline kzone

Re: Power Cable for SVS Sub
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 02:32 »
If it makes u feel better, here's a reply fm SVS on aftermaerket PCs:

In my experience aftermarket power cords haven't added anything
noticeable to the reproduced audible sound that I can hear.  If you have
experienced an improvement from using a cable like that, there's no harm
in using one so go ahead.  Personally I think there's better places to
spend your HT dollars (especially with how expensive some of those
cables are) but maybe I just haven't heard the right demo or the right
aftermarket power cord. 

Erik K
erik@svsound.com

Offline keithwwk

• Listen, the beauty of the music.......
    • Classical guitar Delcamp - Great and Helpful
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:21 »
But funny, if they dun believe much in PC, why they emphasize PC for their new sub?

* Extra heavy-duty removable 8 foot power cord ?

I did heard PC make the difference in some system.
= "Bath with Music" =
Harbeth Super HL5/LFD Zero LE mk3/Marantz CD17mk3
Segovia "The guitar is a small orchestra. It is polyphonic. Every string is a different color, a different voice."
Classical guitar Delcamp - Great and Helpful
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/

Offline limestone

• DTS - Digital Entertainment!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:26 »
If you ask me, based on what I know, power cords don't bring as much effect on the audio performance of a subwoofer, as much as main full-range speakers.

Human hearing is pretty insensitive at low levels, thus what Erik says is true, esp for subs... You won't get much performance enhancements out of changing power cords...

BUT...  ;D  To me it looks weird, if you are using monster power cables in your HT, and sudddenly, out of nowhere you see this G-string power cord lying on the floor....    ;D
Only SVS for me... I'm a bass-nut.

Grey Ecophon Panels/Acoustic Bass Traps/Top Diffusers/Passion-Red Design = The Haven Theatre...

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 09:42 »
They believe in performance to a practical limit. The improvement is great going form a a $1 power cable to a $10 one, but going from a $10 to a $100 one may not be the same. Law of diminshing returns.

Too thin power cables can be a safety hazard as it can become hot with high powered applicances. So thick cables help to reduce resistive losses in the power cable, so thus transferring all the power to the subwoofer electroincs. Should a thin cable get too hot, the insulation may catch fire. (Beware those who are using cheap hairdryers with skinny power cords)

Beyond that engineering reasons, the improvements of using hi-end boutique power cables is not what SVS is about. If expensive cables work for a select few, the user should use it if it makes them happy. SVS builds its subwoofers based on laws of physics and engineering principles. So, xtra heavy duty cables that SVS provides are good for safety reasons. Since the sub amps draw alot current when the going gets tough, the power cable is thick enough that it does not become a bottle neck in the sub's performance.

Just my 2 cts.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline kzone

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 23:27 »
If anyone wanna do comparisons between cords, I dont mind volunteering one for comparison sake.. Wish I can do some testing myself but place not ready yet...

Offline Jason Yeo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm nothing...
    • nothing is perfect!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 00:17 »
I tend to agree with Jag on powercord to sub . Have tested the cheapo thick powercord to a S$1000 powercord connecting the sub , slight differences only . Changing powercord on DVDp/CDp make more differences .
Denon,Marantz,Stewart,Ayre,Furutech,PS audio Wireworld,Bettercables,RGPC,Quantum,Pioneer,SvS,Shunyata,Hifi-tuning,Auralex,Mcintosh,JBL,Equitech,silent source,exactpower,Revelation Audio Labs,elementcable,ASC,lessloss,PuristAudioDesign,Kubala Sosna,Oyaide,Nordost,EuroAudioTeam,Kimble select,SeatonSubmersive

Offline kzone

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 17:00 »
Thanks Jason. Dats abt conclude the thread Got difference between cords, but slight only :)