Author Topic: Why your transformer hums  (Read 4957 times)

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
Why your transformer hums
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:04 »
Here's an article about why some transformers hum.

Extracted from article:

The short and simple answer is that transformers hum because of an effect known as 'lamination rattle' caused by DC voltage on the line or poor construction or both. 'Lam' rattle occurs in all transformers to some degree, that degree being related to the quality of the transformer and the quality of the line voltage.

To reduce these noises, transformer manufacturer have several tricks up their sleeves: they can varnish, or use super glue to stick the laminations together so they rattle less, and they can make bigger transformers that don't have to work so hard, even in the presence of DC. The harder a transformer has to work, the more stress and strain is placed on the laminations.

:)
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline hifiice

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why your transformer hums
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 22:32 »
Hi! I am not sure how to tell if it is my transformer hums but when I turn off my amp volume, I can hear the constantly humming sound from my both speakers.  What could be the cause of those humming sound?  It is not very loud but auditable when I put my ears closer to the spk.  I am using Pre & Power tube amps.  Really appreciate it if you could advise me.  Cheers!

Offline vink

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Why your transformer hums
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 18:39 »
Hi! I am not sure how to tell if it is my transformer hums but when I turn off my amp volume, I can hear the constantly humming sound from my both speakers.  What could be the cause of those humming sound?  It is not very loud but auditable when I put my ears closer to the spk.  I am using Pre & Power tube amps.  Really appreciate it if you could advise me.  Cheers!

In this instance, it's got nothing to do with the transformers. Most probably caused by ground loop effect within your setup.
Refer to here :  http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=30491.0 for infos and explainations
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 18:46 by vink »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal