Author Topic: Need help with Yamaha RX-V430 receiver speaker binding posts  (Read 6828 times)

Offline ks

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need help with Yamaha RX-V430 receiver speaker binding posts
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 00:03 »
Dang.. we all think that it's a simple case of removing the plastic cap while in fact the terminal cannot accept banana plug at all..... ::)

Aiya, I already mentioned specifically its a Yamaha RX-V430 liao ma.

SiriuslyCold, possible to get those connectors from LHS?
TT: Scout VPI with Ortofon 2M Blue
Phono amp: CA 640P, **shopping for one**
CDP: Consonance CD120 Linear
Amp: **shopping for one**
Spkrs: Harbeth M20/M30

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 00:10 »
Just out of curiosity, what problem do you have with using bare wires?

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 00:14 »
well, for one, most of us - me included - assumed that the RX-Vnnn line of Yamaha receivers would use 5-way binding posts for the speaker terminals (these look like Synthesis' pictures)

secondly, it is a well known quirk of Yamaha's to cover these with a cap when they ship it out of the factory, to prevent cockroaches laying eggs inside, i presume. apparently no one else does it.

so when you said Yamaha RX-V430 no one checked out the picture of the backside... until you said 'square'

you can get the connectors from LHS, or SLS or wherever - i use bare wires for my spring clips on the XR25 though.

Offline ks

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 01:44 »
Just out of curiosity, what problem do you have with using bare wires?

1) I dun think that there can be a good connection of a contact point of the clip on a small portion of the barewire. But perhaps for a budget sub, yamaha never tot end users would try using banana plugs or spades for connection, like in normal seperate amp binding posts.

2) Just gotten 3 sets bananaplug-terminated 1810s, each with 2 conductors crimped into a banana plug. If I were to remove the plug and connect it via the default clips, im not sure if i can get a fit it in at all.

Sigh...looks like all efforts gone to waste :(

TT: Scout VPI with Ortofon 2M Blue
Phono amp: CA 640P, **shopping for one**
CDP: Consonance CD120 Linear
Amp: **shopping for one**
Spkrs: Harbeth M20/M30

Offline bhuv

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 02:05 »
1) I dun think that there can be a good connection of a contact point of the clip on a small portion of the barewire. But perhaps for a budget sub, yamaha never tot end users would try using banana plugs or spades for connection, like in normal seperate amp binding posts.

2) Just gotten 3 sets bananaplug-terminated 1810s, each with 2 conductors crimped into a banana plug. If I were to remove the plug and connect it via the default clips, im not sure if i can get a fit it in at all.

Sigh...looks like all efforts gone to waste :(

Feel sorry for all that effort. However, think that you should try with bare wires first. If you feel that you are not satisfied with sound after a couple of weeks (and this is due to wires) then you can try with the plugs.

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 07:46 »
Use bare wires. IMHO, it is as good, if not better than banana plugs or whatever. ;D

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 10:21 »
and before anyone says it .. any time we assume, there's a chance to make and ass out of u and me ;D