Author Topic: Speaker options for 50-50 HT/Music  (Read 641 times)

Offline moth

• Trade Count: (0)
Speaker options for 50-50 HT/Music
« on: February 01, 2006, 00:12 »
Newbie looking for a 5.1 speaker setup that maximizes music handling. My budget for the speaker set is $1000-1500. One of the options I considered was Wharfdale 9.1s for the front and rear with matching center and sub. However, I wonder if its possible to move some of the budget from the rears into better fronts, to max out the music capabilities for my budget. The 9.1s almost seem like an excess for the rears given my limited HT use, so maybe get 9.0s or 9.SRs if those are available in SG. I am also open to buying second hand, or in stages if that helps.

My room is 5.5 X 8.5 m with the speakers expected to go against one of the smaller walls, and the listening couch half way into the length of the room. Looking for advice on which speakers to go for - for fronts, rears, center and sub - some idea on prices would be great. Also looking for advice on other makes - have heard and liked Mission & KEF - in the same price range.

My receiver is likely to be Denon 1906 - but open to change on advice.

Offline moth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Speaker options for 50-50 HT/Music
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 01:50 »
Saw this excellent post on this topic - which answered many of my questions.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33439.0

Looks like 9.5 front, and 9.0 rear is a standard combo. Thats what I'll check out. Can anyone share the most recent pricing for 9.5s and 9.0s ? I understand the 9.1s are for ~$350.

Any other speaker combo I should check out for this price point and purpose ?