Author Topic: Wat combo u use 4 ya HTS?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • HT addict
Wat combo u use 4 ya HTS?
« on: June 01, 2002, 10:24 »
Lets c waz e trend is like in extreme place.

Phil

duckling

Re:Wat combo u use 4 ya HTS?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2002, 18:27 »
Currently, I am using A/V Receiver and DVDP. Will be switching to HTPC soon. I must say, once you see HTPC in action - there is no turning back to DVDP.

Just my personal opinion. :)

Offline dethangel

• Kryogen Innovations
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2002, 20:16 »
Hmm ... true HTPC is the way to go ... esp with current DiVX encoding flexibilities.... and dropping HDD prices... you
guys shld know what i'm talking about :P

PC which is hooked up to the TV / Panny projector  ..... sound is hooked up to a Yammy receiver.

Result: Priceless? :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2002, 20:20 by dethangel »

Offline quekky

• Lift your music
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2002, 23:46 »
if i got the money and place....

HTPC + prepro + digital eq/x-overs + DACs + powers + a few 3 guns ;D

duckling

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2002, 23:49 »

if i got the money and place....

HTPC + prepro + digital eq/x-overs + DACs + powers + a few 3 guns ;D

I think you've over do it. ;D

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
  • HT addict
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2002, 00:00 »
Juz a clarification regarding HTPC..

Its oni worthwhile 2 go HTPC if they r couples /w projector?? Or oni those projector with progressive scan?

Phil

Offline quekky

• Lift your music
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2002, 00:07 »

I think you've over do it. ;D

it's just my dream for the moment that i dun think will come true ;D

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2002, 12:02 »
HTPC actually very good to pair it with a pj. HTPC can tweak to be pixel perfect.

To use with TV, any DVDP is good enough. TV can't do pixel level adjustments since its not designed like that.

Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

joamonte

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2002, 12:46 »
HTPC is good in PQ....

but the sound quality might be consider very weak if compare 2 a good DVDP as most of the sound card was not design 4 5.1 HT but 4 game..

unless of couse u willing to spend $500 and above to get a HI-end sound card,and with it your PC might cost u $1800 and above---not 2 forget u also need a good Display card n DVD ROM...

even use the digital out if u compare careffully u will notice the DVDP will be quite better in term of detail,dynamic  and trasparancy because of HTPC poor S/N ratio...4 me,i think the sound quality is as important as the PQ cos i also like to watch live concert thru my HT.... ::)

lasty,the FAN NOISE >:(...not 2 forget the projector already got 1 fan inside...now  ::) if u also like overclock u PC....then... :-\

Offline lksey

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2002, 14:31 »

HTPC is good in PQ....

but the sound quality might be consider very weak if compare 2 a good DVDP as most of the sound card was not design 4 5.1 HT but 4 game..

unless of couse u willing to spend $500 and above to get a HI-end sound card,and with it your PC might cost u $1800 and above---not 2 forget u also need a good Display card n DVD ROM...

even use the digital out if u compare careffully u will notice the DVDP will be quite better in term of detail,dynamic  and trasparancy because of HTPC poor S/N ratio...4 me,i think the sound quality is as important as the PQ cos i also like to watch live concert thru my HT.... ::)

lasty,the FAN NOISE >:(...not 2 forget the projector already got 1 fan inside...now  ::) if u also like overclock u PC....then... :-\

A good video card for HTPC need not be expensive.  Unless u're trying to build an all-powerful PC for 3D gaming and HT, then u need not shell out lotsa $$ for the videocard.  Eg, a first generation Radeon 7500 provides very good PQ for DVD.   And a DVD rom drive is not expensive - $75 to $120.

To derive good quality sound output, yup, most prolly gotta spend about $300 to $500 for a soundcard (which is why i'm organising the MO for M-Audio Delta 410).  The sound quality may not be that significantly different from a DVD player, if u're using a good soundcard. In fact, i wld think that the sound quality from the latter wld sound better than a sub $1k dvdplayer.

Fan noise can be negligible if u use Intel CPUs.  And if u're using the PC for HT purpose, think there's no need to O/C the CPU.

The cost of $1800 u've estimated is for a good gaming/HT PC.  & I wld think its not very fair to compare the PC's total cost to that of a standalone DVD player, since the PC is gonna perform more than just DVD playback.
紫 霞:我知道有一天他會在一個萬眾矚目的情況下出現,身披金甲聖衣,腳踏七色的雲彩來娶我!

至尊寶:曾經有一份真誠的愛情擺在我的面前,但是我沒有珍惜,等到了失去的時候才後悔莫及,塵世間最痛苦的事莫過於此。如果上天可以給我一個機會再來一次的話,我會跟那個女孩子說"我愛她"。如果非要把這份愛加上一個期限,我希望是一萬年!

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
  • HT addict
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2002, 15:02 »
A Q 4 those /w reciever & poweramps combo..

Is it 4 ya front or all channels?? Have u try 2 biamp under such config??

Phil

duckling

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2002, 16:58 »

A good video card for HTPC need not be expensive.  Unless u're trying to build an all-powerful PC for 3D gaming and HT, then u need not shell out lotsa $$ for the videocard.  Eg, a first generation Radeon 7500 provides very good PQ for DVD.   And a DVD rom drive is not expensive - $75 to $120.

To derive good quality sound output, yup, most prolly gotta spend about $300 to $500 for a soundcard (which is why i'm organising the MO for M-Audio Delta 410).  The sound quality may not be that significantly different from a DVD player, if u're using a good soundcard. In fact, i wld think that the sound quality from the latter wld sound better than a sub $1k dvdplayer.

Fan noise can be negligible if u use Intel CPUs.  And if u're using the PC for HT purpose, think there's no need to O/C the CPU.

The cost of $1800 u've estimated is for a good gaming/HT PC.  & I wld think its not very fair to compare the PC's total cost to that of a standalone DVD player, since the PC is gonna perform more than just DVD playback.

I fully agreed with Iksey.

BTW, I guess the Radeon 7200 would be sufficient for HTPC - w/o fan - reduce noise. Or can I say the 7500's little fan does not make too much noise / no noise at all?