Author Topic: Usher S520 speaker  (Read 19574 times)

Offline hifiluv

• Trade Count: (+1)
Usher S520 speaker
« on: August 31, 2005, 13:16 »

Hi

I have seen these speakers in Singnet posting for S$450, tried to search online for reviews but could not find any.  Does anyone has any experience with these speakers and how do they compare with say Diamond 9.1 or PSB Image 1B?

Tks  :)

Offline cbs

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Usher S520 speaker
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 13:37 »
look at the Echoloft forum discussion on Usher compared with a number of speakers........

Offline MC_Hammer

• Money is my GOD , The Bank is my Church
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 16:53 »
look at the Echoloft forum discussion on Usher compared with a number of speakers........

It will be more convenient if you can stick the link here :

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=tell&action=display&num=1123652968
Money is my God , The Bank is my Church

Offline hifiluv

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 17:02 »
Hi guys

Tks for the link, its was useful.

www. avguide.com also provide a "blow you away" review on the S520 (issue #10). should be worthy of an audition, make trip to X audio soon.

:)

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 19:42 »
I only got one comment.
Didn't like it because sound tend to converge very badly if the music has multiple instruments playing at the same time.
However, I find it had good vocals, albeit abit of a 'live feel'. Quite forward sounding.
My friend who auditioned with me at the same time just looked across and said "this is noise." when I played some hard-hitting cd.

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 08:23 »
A matter of taste really. However they certainly perform way out of its price range
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline BATA

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 13:39 »
Hi Quest,

Which speaker are you benchmarking against?

What music are you playing?

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 14:04 »
That time audition with my friends speakers around that price range.
I think Quad 11L, JMLab Chorus, Wharfedale 9s, B&W 602, NHT, etc..
Worth a listen I reckon, as it was in our short list.. you may like the live feeling (slightly emphasised) and bass response of this little speaker. :)

Just that for my japanese and acoustic jazz, it was too 'crowded' and soundstage was lost once more than a few instruments start jamming hard at one go.
When I played solo vocal tracks or slow jazz numbers, it performed very well. Better than most of its competitors in this area.

Offline hifiluv

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 14:24 »
Hello Quest

In your opinion, did the Diamond 9.1 perform better than S520?

Tks

Offline hifi_enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 14:28 »
That time audition with my friends speakers around that price range.
I think Quad 11L, JMLab Chorus, Wharfedale 9s, B&W 602, NHT, etc..
Worth a listen I reckon, as it was in our short list.. you may like the live feeling (slightly emphasised) and bass response of this little speaker. :)

Just that for my japanese and acoustic jazz, it was too 'crowded' and soundstage was lost once more than a few instruments start jamming hard at one go.
When I played solo vocal tracks or slow jazz numbers, it performed very well. Better than most of its competitors in this area.

sorry, even if i like X-audio, their current listening room is quite bad and there's no way i could judge soundstaging ability from their listening room.

I have bought a speaker from X-audio before, and the perceived soundstage and imaging in my own listening room was far, far better than at x-audio's listening room.

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 14:42 »
In your opinion, did the Diamond 9.1 perform better than S520?
The Diamond 9.1 did not really impress me somehow. I would say the S520 performed better to my ears.
My friend eventually chose the JMLab Chorus for other reasons, but it was like 30-40% most costly.

sorry, even if i like X-audio, their current listening room is quite bad and there's no way i could judge soundstaging ability from their listening room.
I have bought a speaker from X-audio before, and the perceived soundstage and imaging in my own listening room was far, far better than at x-audio's listening room.
Agree with you on this, but I felt that small bookshelves should not require that much air so I thought that the listening should be quite representative.
I tried out the 6371 floorstanders there and was also disappointed by the soundstage, but I am little more forgiving here.

BTW if I'm not wrong the S520 are also available for audition at this place opposite Adelphi (forgot building name - near to the hotel behind funan). Dunno if this will be a better place to listen or not. Anyone have any experience?

Offline hifiluv

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 15:49 »
Hi Quest

Tks for your comments on 9.1

I think the place you are referring to is Simply Music, 04-01 Peninsula Shopping Complex

:)

Offline benzx

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 01:08 »
hifiluv,

IMHO, betw the 2, I would choose the 520 if its for light music in small room( light jazz, vocals) and D9.1 for a HT setup. For heavier music, or you cant live without bass, then both are out.

Offline hifiluv

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 14:13 »
Hi Benz

Tks for your comments.

The reason why I started this thread is that my current system -

Maranzt SR4200 -- NAD C542 CDP -- Mission M73 spks

I found it somehow lacking in the sound.  I am working towards something more hifi.

2 possible considerations -

a. get a stereo amp with existing cdp and spks, leaving SR4200 as standalone HT amp

b. upgrade speakers, eg to say Usher S520 (will audition soon)

would appreciate any comments on this.

Tks  :)

Offline poison arrow

• grip it rip it
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 18:59 »
hai.....

can anyone tell me where to get a pair of usher s520 in singapore and how much will it cost. i was thinking of using a xr 25 ( fully recommend for it's quality and price ) and a usher s520. than later on upgrade to HT system.

any comments? actually, i am very naive in system like this. in fact i was totally impressed what had written in this tread. at times i might ask questions, where all readers will laugh till dawn. i admit, i am a new and i need advice.

thanks & regards
hemel op aarde