Author Topic: League Cup Finals  (Read 8160 times)

Offline lewlian

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: League Cup Finals
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2005, 14:54 »
tidalstorm - Arsene did the double i.e. EPL & FA in his first season in '97/'98

siriouslycold - yeah, my sentiments exactly
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline matix

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2005, 16:43 »

EPL is probably the hardest league cos u got Arsenal, Man U, Newcastle and now Chelsea to contend with.....  :'(

I am sure the Spanish, Italians and Germans will dispute that.... ;)

Offline tidalstorm

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2005, 21:11 »
English club got no winter break so it is a lot harder.....

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 13:06 »
I don't deny that Baros can score.

Problem is do you convince him to add another dimension to his playing style, or do you change the way the whole team plays to suit him?

Liverpool have not had an attacking player in the mould of Dalglish for far too long.  At Leeds, Kewell was the one who could make the killer pass.  That's why Viduka was scoring like crazy.  What's happened to his vision?  Maybe it was compromised by the way Houllier chose to play, and so far under Rafa, he has been injured. 

He is supposed to have fully recovered, so I am waiting to see if he regains his touch.  I still believe that he is quality....you don't become bad overnight, but a coach who cannot inspire him will lead to his standards deteriorating...

Smicer is supposed to be another attacking midfielder, but after being out for so long, I am not surprised if we will only start to see him perform after he has played like 5-6 games.

Offline mac

• Snr Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2005, 14:33 »
I don't deny that Baros can score.

Problem is do you convince him to add another dimension to his playing style, or do you change the way the whole team plays to suit him?

The thing with football is that it involves the entire team. Look at Everton this season.... No star player, lots of teamwork, "fights" for the ball, now gunning for a Champions League spot. I don't see any problem with Baros. Okay, this is pretty much a passe on the League Cup thingy but the problem with the game on Liverpool's standpoint is Gerrard. Thought i read somewhere that the manager wanted to change the team to suit his style of play. And where was the supposed passion of the captain? Where was the leadership? In that game, there was none. He looked so confused and after scoring the own goal, looked worse. Of all the games that i've watched of Liverpool's and with him playing, that was definately his worse performance. If i were a Liverpool fan, i'll feel somewhat shortchanged by that sort of performance.

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2005, 15:26 »
I can understand that he must feel the whole weight of all Liverpool supporters worldwide whenever he plays, and maybe, he is not ready for it.

There is an editorial in today's Straits Times about him, and I don't totally agree with the views expressed.

I still think that there is more than a 50% likelihood that he will move at the end of the season.  Chelsea or some other, I'm not sure....

At the end of it, I think it may boil down to motivation and burnout.

I believe he is finding it hard to motivate himself to lead at every game, and I think that's the main difference between him and Roy Keane.  I mean, that guy is up for it for every match, and Man U's talent scout must be congratulated for having recognised that quality, and snapping him up from Forest all those years ago.

Yesterday's TNP reported rumours of Hamann moving to Portsmouth.  Personally, I will be quite disappointed if he moves.  He has been a defensive rock in front of the defenders.  Granted, he is not the fastest, but he reads the game very well.

And with Gerrard gone, and Alonso back, keeping Hamann would provide good cover and balance in the middle of the park.