Author Topic: League Cup Finals  (Read 8207 times)

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
Re: League Cup Finals
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 22:01 »
maybe Carragher was pestering Mourinho for a job.  :-\

Offline gaix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 22:26 »
wat a pity...
for those few hours, liverpool probably had many arsenal fans, man u fans, everton fans, newcastle fans etc. to count as their own... ;)
all hoping to see chelsea brought down to earth...

gaix

Offline matix

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 23:02 »

See that Mourinho react after the own goal makes my boil !!! Damn kwai lan..... :P

I was neutral on Chelsea unitl this match.  Now,  Chelsea is lumped together with Arsenal and Man U.   ;D

Offline tidalstorm

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 08:19 »
I was neutral on Chelsea unitl this match.  Now,  Chelsea is lumped together with Arsenal and Man U.   ;D

Lumped together??  Catch no balls leh....

btw, hope Baros leave cos me find him too one dimensional...... Get ball, sure dribble here and there.....

Offline lewlian

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 09:07 »
Lumped together??  Catch no balls leh....

btw, hope Baros leave cos me find him too one dimensional...... Get ball, sure dribble here and there.....

errr but he didn't get to be top scorer for the team now and for the Czech squad for not doing the right thing i.e. score goals where it mattered. with Liverpool's current situation, we're not exactly gonna attract the best out there ya know.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 11:00 »
I think there's no doubt that Baros can score. Problem is that he is inconsistent and injury prone.

He is not particularly fast, and not exactly a great header of the ball.  He does not really hold the ball up for other players to push up.  He does try to take his man on, using his speed and skills, hoping to keep the attacking momentum going.

Comparing him to Morientes, would you be surprised that Benitez would choose Morientes to lead the attack line on his own?  For the Chelsea game, Benitez needed someone who would be strong enough to hold onto the ball, so that the wingers would be able to catch up.

I can see his frustration, but he has to recognise that the team strategy is more important...

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 11:09 »
well, I had hoped that we take the game to Chelsea - for too often we show opponents too much respect. We looked dangerous every time we attack, its a shame we don't do it more often.

here's some nice pics ;)

http://www.moneypenny.org.uk/blog/2005/03/el-rafa.html

Offline lewlian

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 11:10 »
don't disagree with the points on Baros but i find it quite diabolical that any decent fan would want him to go unless a suitable replacement can be found. of course if he wants to leave, then the team can't stop him. and don't forget he is only in his mid-20s vs Morientes on the wrong side of twentysomething so this is as good as it gets. Pongolle and Mellor aren't up for it yet as is Le Tallec. With Moro cup-tied, who can Pool count on to score?
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline tidalstorm

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 11:11 »
Baros need the ball on the ground. With Liverpool punting long balls most of the time, Baros may not effective. Morienties more effective. Can head and pass...... skilful man.... Let's see if he can pair with Cisse.... Knowing Benny style, he like 4-4-1-1. So it could be difficult for Cisse and Morientes playing together..... I think Liverpool need a attacking midfielder in the mould of Aimar.... Gerrard cannot be attacking midfield, I think he more suited as a defensive midield where he made his name there.... Gerrard dun seem to have the guile and the ability to see a passing lane opening up before it reallys open... Bergkamp got this uncanny ability....

Offline tidalstorm

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 11:17 »
don't disagree with the points on Baros but i find it quite diabolical that any decent fan would want him to go unless a suitable replacement can be found. of course if he wants to leave, then the team can't stop him. and don't forget he is only in his mid-20s vs Morientes on the wrong side of twentysomething so this is as good as it gets. Pongolle and Mellor aren't up for it yet as is Le Tallec. With Moro cup-tied, who can Pool count on to score?

I was saying he would leave at the end of the season. Anyway, transfer window close liao.... Baros can be effective provided Liverpool play to his style. Meanwhile, I dun see Liverpool have the capability to play his style cos they lack a creative attacking midfielder..... Whereas, Cezch Republic got a certain guy called Pavel Nedved who can really pass..... Let's see if Baros can continue his streak fror his country after Nedved retire.

Offline lewlian

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 11:27 »
that's why Rafa was brought in to try and change the way the game was played vs Houllier's era. it takes time to get new ideas into player's head (although for the money paid to them, you'd expect more but cest la vie). we're seeing more passing and movement than the old way of punting although old habits die hard. but slowly and surely getting there. i've actually enjoyed more of the matches this season than past ones even if the team lost.

so the solution is as you've mentioned, to find a good and skilful midfielder to enhance the game. then both Baros and Moro will benefit and provide options for different type of games. as for Cisse, am not holding my breath since worst case scenario, he will no longer play decent football as the speed that is his hallmark may be affected. to cut off the nose to spite the face just doesn't make sense i.e. letting Baros go just because the players do punt the ball up at times. you need a variety of options with different opponents and Baros was effective when he came on as a sub during the Final when Chelski was playing only 3 at the back to use just but one example.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline tidalstorm

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2005, 12:39 »
I agree but with Benny perfering Morientes all the time.... Dun see how Baros gonna to take it if he is gonna to warm the bench..... Actually, this season is his big break cos of his Euro exploits, Cisse injured and Owen to real Madrid but sadly it does not turn out wat he expected. He is a frustrated player.... He will move becos he wants it and not the coach wanting him to leave. Dun see the point in making a player stay when he wanted to move.....

Tot Liverpool gonna to buy Joaquin of Betis??? Liverpool need a good right winger....

Offline lewlian

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2005, 13:53 »
Somehow English clubs get linked to any and every player all the time especially those with budget surpluses.  ::)

To be fair to Rafa, it is only his first year and with the squad he inherited, the fans have really gotta be patient and let his methods sink in. Most managers take time to get their ideas and style across and unless some like Wenger, who was fortunate to take over a side that already had a rock-like defence to build upon, Liverpool is still inconsistent by any measure. Rafa has not been helped by the crazy number of injuries and contract problems but if i've waited 15yrs for a championship, will be willing to wait another 1-2 more at the very least.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline tidalstorm

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2005, 14:35 »
Wenger also takes a couple of years to win the EPL... as for Benny, I would say Liverpool now played a more controlled game. The control the situation rather than punt long ball and hope for the best....

Benny is here for 5 years so we see where he can get us to in 5 years....

EPL is probably the hardest league cos u got Arsenal, Man U, Newcastle and now Chelsea to contend with.....  :'(

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2005, 14:49 »
i think Baros is only 22. he can only get better, and I'd prefer that to be at Anfield