Author Topic: League Cup Finals  (Read 8809 times)

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
League Cup Finals
« on: February 28, 2005, 02:37 »
I support Liverpool, but I think they deserved to lose this! An early goal was not good news for them, it only gave them an excuse to be complacent and defend all the way. They played negative football for 100 minutes and payed dearly.

It's agonising seeing a team with so much potential play such negative football! Liverpool never really played ball until they were 3-1 down.... and they really deserved to lose in the end. When will anyone in England wake up and realise Steven Gerrard is over-rated? When will Benitez realise that Morientes needs better service and not long balls into the penalty area?

Congrats to Chelsea on a job well done! I never liked teams whose success is based on money, but I must say they did a great job.

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: League Cup Finals
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 07:38 »
Well, it was a very nice goal by Gerrard although on the wrong end of the field...  ;D

It might have been a better game if Chelsea scored early rather than Liverpool. That would have made Liverpool go out on attack. Chelsea usually don't play defensively. That would have been more fun.

Well done Chelsea.

;)
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline lewlian

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:03 »
whatever. still pissed we lost the only piece of silverware possible this season. reckon Gerrard wanted to impress his new bosses and decided to score for them even before he don the new colours.  >:(
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline matix

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 09:45 »
Sigh!  When is the GREAT REVIVAL coming??  if ever.... :'(

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 12:31 »
Actually, I thought Liverpool played quite well.

From the team selection, it was already clear how Benitez had decided to play.

When Liverpool attacked, they did look dangerous.

If anything, I will agree that Gerrard's performance has been very poor, at least for the past 5 or 6 games that he has played.

He does not play with any passion anymore, and seems to be waiting for the season to end so that he can move on.

If you look back at the games when he does not play, Liverpool have played better.  I guess may be due to the other players playing at a different level.  Recent example: the Leverkusen game.

His recent comments to the press about Liverpool being 'no-hopers' for the European Cup already tells you how he is thinking.  Would you see Vieira or Keane telling the press that?

All the talk about Liverpool relying on him has probably put a lot of pressure on him, so much so that his team-mates also believe in it.  So when he does not perform, the others do not perform either.

I think that we should sell him for as high a price that we can get, so that we can improve other areas of the team.

Sad to say, I did not see any inspiration from him in the game as far as attacking play was concerned.  Unless that was the way Benitez wanted him to play....

Offline matix

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 00:59 »
I agree.  Look at Everton now without Rooney!   :)   Anyone can remember when did Everton ever finish ahead of Liverpool? >:(

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 01:38 »
When they won the league ;)

If we played with even half the intensity of Everton, we'd be unstoppable.

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 02:26 »
Wow, didn't know there were so many Liverpool fanatics here....   ;)

Yeah, looks like Liverpool now is playing like Chelsea before Mourhino - lots of skill, lots of talent, but no heart. If you watch Liverpool games, as long as they score 1 goal, they start playing as though they 3-0 in front.

Offline SiriuslyCold

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 03:36 »
the sick thing is we look more dangerous - even good - when attacking.

In truth I did not mind not winning the Cup playing like that (painful as it was) - otherwise it gives the team an excuse to do the same. Now Rafa knows they have to attack and leep attacking, and score a couple at the Bay Arena

Offline lewlian

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 09:19 »
Now Rafa knows they have to attack and keep attacking, and score a couple at the Bay Arena

Amen to that bro'
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline matix

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 12:21 »
I overheard (I think in my head..)  ;)  ,  Mourhino saying to Gerrad "Welcome to the team"  whilst shaking his hand.    ;D   Since he says we are not going to win the European Cup,  might as well let him go.  Deep down deep deep inside everyone of us,  we know we all harbour secret thoughts of Liverpool lifting the European Cup.   ;)

Offline tidalstorm

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 01:20 »
Every year in the CL, there are bound to be a dark horse.... Somehow I tot Liverpool will be that dark horse..... But with Nando cup tied, it will be tough....

Dun think Gerrard will leave this season. Think he will at least stay for another season and see wat Rafa can do next season before deciding on his future.

With the defence shown in the Carling final, I think Liverpool can hang on to the 2 goal lead in Leverkusen.

See that Mourinho react after the own goal makes my boil !!! Damn kwai lan..... :P

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 12:31 »
If anyone recalls, I don't remember the cameras focussing on Mourinho when he went to shake Gerrard's hand.

Was that on purpose??

I think Gerrard's performances in the matches for the rest of the season will tell us how motivated he is to play for Liverpool.

I still strongly believe that he will move...

As a Liverpool supporter, I may feel that he is not loyal.  As a football supporter, I cannot disagree that each player only has a few years to reach his peak, so he would definitely want to be able to win as much as he can, since when he retires, the medals are his only proof of being a winner.

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 15:26 »
Liverpool wins.... their fans set the world record for the loudest fans in the Carling Cup final registering 130.7 decibels which is at threshold of pain (see http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31266.0). Now you know why Mourinho asked the Pool fans to keep quiet.

Previous world record was held by Denver Broncos at 128.74 decibels in October 2000...

Read this in The New Paper today (2nd March 2005).

;D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 15:30 by dbchoong »
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline SiriuslyCold

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 15:58 »
haha thats because they saw him do this

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been caught on camera telling Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher to f*** off.

The verbal abuse was captured by Sky Sports cameras which clearly show the Chelsea boss repeatedly telling Carragher to go forth and multiply.

Oh dear.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal