Author Topic: Sportsmanship?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline SiriuslyCold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
Sportsmanship?
« on: January 07, 2005, 01:44 »
Instead he kept on playing like it wasnt a goal.

No wonder Paolo DiCanio's gesture a couple of years ago, and Robbie Fowler telling the ref it wasn't a penalty way before that still stand out in people's minds.

Also saw Alex Stepney on TV today saying he'd have done the same thing if it was him. I cannot believe someone can condone .. what I feel is ... simply cheating.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 01:48 by SiriuslyCold »

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
Re: Sportsmanship?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 10:13 »
Well, sometimes, in that split second, the first thing that comes to mind would probably to help your own team win. 

Let's say that, after the ball is back in play, he had a bit of time to think about it, and he subsequently went to the referee/linesman to admit that the ball had crossed the line, I wonder what would happen...

Also, FIFA has used television replays to punish cheats or offences where it escaped the referee's attention.  Shouldn't the game now be awarded to Spurs by the use of television replays as well?

Surely, the use of television to capture offences should also be applied to such incidents as well, no?

Offline Necrohavoc

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 10:22 »
hmm ... there might be some sort of controversy that comes to my ming ..

if a team has gone down by a goal, they might have played differently (to get a draw at least maybe?), but since no goal was awarded at that point of time, it is also unfair to award a win after the game.

hence i think video evidence should be used during the game..not just after
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Roberts

WTB: Texas Hold'em & Single Malt nites

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 12:28 »
by all the rules of the game, it was a goal. there is no controversy about the ball not crossing the line, the fact that the ref didn't give it is the controversy.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 13:39 »
remember the classic 1996 world cup 'hand of god'?
The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

Offline lewlian

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 15:47 »
by all the rules of the game, it was a goal. there is no controversy about the ball not crossing the line, the fact that the ref didn't give it is the controversy.

but the ref didn't see it or rather was unable to see it. thus the calls for use of technology to augment human judgement. much as i hate manu ( nothing personal necro  ;D ), the current rules state the decision of the ref is final.

fouls etc judged after the game is to prevent these from bringing the game down the tubes as well as satisfy the fact that current tv technology can prove the 'crime'. thus if technology can help the ref make a quick decision without stopping the game, i'm all for it ala NBA where replays are used to tell if last-second shots are valid.

oh and for the record, Roy shouldn't have to own up. big difference between him and Robbie/Paulo was Roy's admission would be a sure thing i.e. goal given. Penalties have been known to be missed.  ;D
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline dude

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 18:45 »
How about this?

Since there is strong objection to the use of technology, how about having an assistant referee each located behind the goal of both ends of the field?

With that, not only will goal line rulings be clearer, but appeals for handball, diving, etc would also be easier to detect.

Online dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 08:56 »
remember the classic 1996 world cup 'hand of god'?

1986... ;)

Yes, England would have won the World Cup if not for that fat, drugged up player. Cos, if they used video replay, that goal would not count and Maradona would have been would have been red-carded. And that brilliant 2nd goal would not have happened... It's exactly like a scenario from Back to the Future!!

:)