Author Topic: atmos ceiling setup  (Read 1037 times)

Offline rhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
atmos ceiling setup
« on: September 14, 2020, 23:44 »
yo all.
i hate messy cables running on my ceiling.
have been running on atmos with my psb imagine xa.
so im running 5.1.2
exploring to go 5.1.4

options
1. keep psb imagine xa and get another set of surround speakers with built-in atmos speakers.
2. keep psb imagine xa and mount 2 ceiling speakers at the rear.
3. get rid of imagine xa and mount 4 ceiling speakers to get .4

if possible can share how ur ceiling setup.?
1. i want to achieve max effect
2. invisible cables arrangement. dont wish to have any unsightly cables running (hate white casing)
3. cost effective.

;D ;D ;D
let me guess all of u sure share the same feeling as me when wanna do up atmos.

i gone thru 51 pages on the atmos topic with but most pictures are gone.  :-[

many thanks!

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
Re: atmos ceiling setup
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:26 »
well i got false ceiling overhead. trunking and cables all hidden inside.
using Dynaudio Ceiling mount speakers. 4 of them on top of the 4 corners directing towards MLP.

Dynaudio Confidence C2, Center, Contour SR, IC 17, Contour S1.4LE
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103, Gold Note Valore Lite
Soundgenic, Yulong DA8-II
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700
finite elemente Pagode Master Reference MkII

Online sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 14:57 »
Bro, if option 3 is possible, just close 2 eyes and go for it! No need to think so hard!  ;D haha

Nothing beats actual mounting of your atmos speakers in ceiling/ top part of the wall for ATMOS. Reflection method's outcome (ie. dolby enabled) can go close, but truly, it is SUPER DIFFICULT to calibrate/place because you have to elevate your speakers to find the correct "reflection/ diffusion point". If u are not prepared to/ can't do so, likely the Atmos experience is poor, and worse still, might affect the overall sound/ intended immersion.

Question.
1) do u have existing false ceiling or going to install new false ceiling for this purpose?

2) are u going to just direct ceiling/ wall mount it unto concrete wall/ ceiling.

Got any photo to show your current MLP + sofa + rear speakers placement? Then we can help u better? I know u posted photo of your front tv console.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 15:07 by sevenz »

Online sevenz

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 15:02 »
yo all.
i hate messy cables running on my ceiling.

if possible can share how ur ceiling setup.?
2. invisible cables arrangement. dont wish to have any unsightly cables running (hate white casing)

I also hate cables running all around, same as u   ;D

This is my project few years ago when i installed my ATMOS speakers (photos / speakers a bit outdated but good enuf for illustration). Read the thread too for options for placement. It will come in handy as your space is limited too:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=247061.45

All speaker cables hidden in the wall (just ask contractor to dig a small drain and it will do the trick). Those areas that wire can go via floor skirting or behind the curtain, I use the electrical wire casing and paint over it.

I didn't mount it in my false ceiling as I wanted flexibility for future changes, which proved me right because, I changed speakers along the way to have the same timbre as my LCR and surrounds, and I also changed the placements of the speakers.

Once u install it in false ceiling, very hard to change anymore, unless u are BERI SURE, no change and won't itchy backside. But chances are, in this hobby, if u change LCR speakers and surrounds, sometimes, u might want to change your atmos speakers too. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 15:14 by sevenz »

Offline wcseow

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 15:11 »
IMHO...

To achieve 1, u will want to have speakers in/on your ceiling.

To achieve 2, false ceiling but also need to include your walls as cable will be from ur amp, i.e. if u do not have feature wall. U can try in wall trunking

As sevenz advise, not easy to use atmos speaker to achieve the "best" possible effect and ceiling height counts too.

Me, I just lay conduits everywhere 😁😁...cause (1)   is most important and with concrete ceiling I will have wider speaker selection as can include OTW speakers So better dont see my pic..haha..

Overtime, I think it is not eyesore anymore, i.e. for me. More importantly, my wife.dont care as long as it is practical
😁😁
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 16:07 by wcseow »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
atmos ceiling setup
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 15:30 »
Bro, if option 3 is possible, just close 2 eyes and go for it! No need to think so hard!  ;D haha

Nothing beats actual mounting of your atmos speakers in ceiling/ top part of the wall for ATMOS. Reflection method's outcome (ie. dolby enabled) can go close, but truly, it is SUPER DIFFICULT to calibrate/place because you have to elevate your speakers to find the correct "reflection/ diffusion point". If u are not prepared to/ can't do so, likely the Atmos experience is poor, and worse still, might affect the overall sound/ intended immersion.

I can’t agree more with Sevenz on this. Make no mistake, I am using KEF Atmos-enabled speakers (reflection type) but it is not easy to achieve good Atmos effects, though not entirely impossible.

If you can install speakers in/on the ceiling. That’ll be the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rhead

• Snr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 21:51 »
Ok here you go guys.!

full view!

Online sevenz

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 22:25 »
Ok here you go guys.!

Nice cosy den! Thx for sharing pics. U seem quite good in hiding your wires :)

Personally, for your rear ATMOS, for future flexibility sake (ie. upgrade speakers or placement), i would not mount them in the false ceiling because it is irreversible. But just wall mount them and face it down. Use the false ceiling box to route and hide the wires.

For your front ATMOS pair, usually I would recommend front height placement if u can only have 1 front pair (see the link I sent u previously that talks about the differences in sound vs placement), but it's not possible due to your A/C unit. Maybe just ceiling mount it (the strip of area between A/C unit and fan). Ask contractor to dig drain to hide the speaker wires.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 22:43 by sevenz »

Online sevenz

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 22:35 »
On a side note from ATMOS related inputs, there are a few suggestions that u might want to consider carefully to help raise your HT experience. Some likely are DAY & NIGHT difference that does not cost much monies. (that's what I experienced when I did those in my own setup and i just want to share with you.)

1) Suggest that u place your right speaker at where your subs is. And shift your sub inwards. See if this can give u a wider soundstage and better separation. Your TV bracket - are u able to shift your TV placement to the right? If yes, all's good.

2) I see that u are stacking your subs. If u haven't tried b4, I would suggest that u put 1 front + 1 rear, this will likely smoothen the bass response. And also give u bass that feels more 3D and not localisable. If done & calibrated properly, it will give a DAY and NIGHT difference.

3) Centre speaker - try to raise it as high as u can. Then, tilt it so that tweeter points to slightly above ear level. So that your centre speaker sound comes from the screen and not able to localise it coming from bottom of TV. Add footers to decouple from console to reduce reverb.

4) Your front wall - if u paint it a dark color, your cinematic screen experience will have DAY & NIGHT DIFFERENCE. I used to have light colors for my front wall. So i always can see the white wall and tv shape even though room is dark. For MANY YEARS. But after i had chance to change it to a dark color, wow, I then realised what i was missing all along. Now my TV blends into the wall seamlessly and gives a very awesome cinematic experience when lights are off. If u can, my advice is - squeeze this into part of the overall 'reno" work for your ATMOS upgrade and convince your spouse. Something that will bring u a BIG smile.

5) MLP - lastly, shift your sofa forward a little (like 1-1.2 ft) if u can during HT time, so that your MLP is not against the wall. DAY & NIGHT DIFFERENCE.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 22:48 by sevenz »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 23:12 »
Nobody....I repeat.....nobody does a 6 ATMOS ceiling setup?

If there is, do you mind posting a picture of it to share?

(Audio)

Offline DJQ

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 23:13 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline rayleh

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 23:27 »
Treat the rear wall and try front height instead of in ceiling.

Offline rhead

• Snr Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 14:08 »
https://youtu.be/SoyGqGAfi_Q

have any of you used and came across this speaker cables before ?

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 17:36 »
Nobody....I repeat.....nobody does a 6 ATMOS ceiling setup?

If there is, do you mind posting a picture of it to share?

(Audio)
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline DJQ

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 23:27 »
Haha. Well still a false ceiling mount. Nicely done on 2 rows.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal