Author Topic: Optimal placement of front speakers  (Read 1158 times)

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
Re: Optimal placement of front speakers
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 00:26 »
Few suggestions that will likely bring up your HT experience quite significantly.

1) pull your front speakers to the widest apart on table where possible to have wider sound stage and increase the speakers angle to mlp. (see dolby specs for the min angle). From the photo, it seems u may not have the minimum angle. If its possible, I would wall mount the speakers and place them apart as wide as possible on the wall.

2) raise your LR speakers by putting something below, till tweeter is at ear level, like what bro Rayleh and guess here said. Golden rule that must follow. But raising your speaker will be much better than tilting, so raise if u can. Good that u have isolation pad already for LR speakers.

3) add footers/pad to centre speaker to isolate it from console like what bro DJQ suggested. And tilt centre speaker such that tweeter points slightly above ear level like wat bro Rayleh suggested. So that the centre speaker sound will sound more like coming from the screen and not below.

4) your mlp is against the wall. Not ideal. Suggest that u move mlp forward during watching. It will make a BIG difference. Mine was like that too for many years until bros here advised strongly to move mlp away from wall. But wife didn't allow. So i just moved mlp forward during HT time and move back sofa after use. Made her and myself happy

Once u do the above, do a proper recalibration again.

Try it out and let us know if u hear improvements. Hope this helps :)

Kudos to you bro. Very well explained in detail.
Dynaudio Confidence C2, Center, Contour SR, IC 17, Contour S1.4LE
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103, Gold Note Valore Lite
Soundgenic, Yulong DA8-II
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700
finite elemente Pagode Master Reference MkII

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 14:55 »
Kudos to you bro. Very well explained in detail.
I measured that I need to raise the LR speakers about 20cm to have the tweeter to be same level as the listening position. Any idea what I can use (permanent) to achieve this? I thought of some wood blocks but the size has to be customised.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 15:42 »
I measured that I need to raise the LR speakers about 20cm to have the tweeter to be same level as the listening position. Any idea what I can use (permanent) to achieve this? I thought of some wood blocks but the size has to be customised.

try the isoacoustics speakers stands that Rayleh suggested. :) Renowned for isolation from the table and can raise height. Used by many sound studios and audio people.

I just bought a pair of the iso stands for my godpa to isolate his front speakers from his TV console. The only minor drawback is, it might not be able to raise to the super exact ear level as the height adjustment is done via connecting different metal poles of different lengths,  and the kit don't have too many very short pole lengths for minor adjustments.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 15:50 by sevenz »

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 09:38 »

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 08:16 »
i will not recommend these. best is still the ISO Acoustics.
Dynaudio Confidence C2, Center, Contour SR, IC 17, Contour S1.4LE
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103, Gold Note Valore Lite
Soundgenic, Yulong DA8-II
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700
finite elemente Pagode Master Reference MkII

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 08:33 »
^^^^^^^

yes to iso stands, get the cheaper ones, there are a few sizes, they should cost about $150-200, depending on sizes. there's option for a lot of positions, as can tilt up, down, the rods avail in 2 heights, i personally use the lower set with tilt up for desktop use.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 10:32 »
i will not recommend these. best is still the ISO Acoustics.

+1 with DJQ too. The stands in the link may not be the ideal for sound.

If Isoacoustics doesn't work for you, another alternative u can consider is to get custom wooden blocks from kelantan lane (there's a wood shop there) to raise; and then add industrial rubber footers found at DIY shops to decouple. Taobao might have good desk stands too.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:34 by sevenz »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal