Author Topic: Optimal placement of front speakers  (Read 1259 times)

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Optimal placement of front speakers
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:54 »
Hello there,
Previous thread: http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=298530.0

So I got my bookshelf speakers for my fronts. Still learning about speaker placement.

1) Side view of my TV console - https://ibb.co/H4YwLHR

2) Side view of TV console and sofa - I sketched my sitting position, I am about 2.5m away from the C speaker - https://ibb.co/313gCnn

3) View of TV console from my seated position (eye level) - https://ibb.co/mJ0zB4v

Some questions I have:
- as the LR speakers are below my ear level, should I elevate them or point them towards my sitting position instead?
- the C speaker is also below my ear level, should I tilt it upwards towards my ear level?
- should I move my C speaker further back (may have to prop up the TV higher; wall mounting not an option for me)

Offline rayleh

Re: Optimal placement of front speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 13:55 »
You should tilt the speakers up towards ear level. The distance of the CC can remain as it is since auto EQ will set the distance/delay.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 13:58 by rayleh »

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 14:17 »
You should tilt the speakers up towards ear level. The distance of the CC can remain as it is since auto EQ will set the distance/delay.

In the home-theater setup, did you really hear the significant difference when you tilted towards your ear levels?
I wonder

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 14:21 »
i am more concerned in getting the speakers to perform better. putting proper isolation footers below them.
Dynaudio Confidence C2, Center, Contour SR, IC 17, Contour S1.4LE
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103, Gold Note Valore Lite
Soundgenic, Yulong DA8-II
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700
finite elemente Pagode Master Reference MkII

Offline rayleh

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 15:13 »
In the home-theater setup, did you really hear the significant difference when you tilted towards your ear levels?
I wonder
Clarify for me. It depends on the off-axis characteristics of the speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 15:31 »
Do you mean to tilt all the LCR speakers toward the ear level? Does elevating the LR speakers using stands help?

Offline rayleh

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 15:35 »
To me it does help if the speakers are on a stand or at least tilt them to point towards your ears

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 15:36 »
To me it does help if the speakers are on a stand or at least tilt them to point towards your ears

I can only put the LR on stands to be on level with the ears. However, the center speaker can only tilt upwards.

Offline Guess83

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 17:56 »
Since they are bookshelf speakers, why not use some books to lift up or tilt. let your own ear as final judgement. rem to do auto room correction to optimise the result once you final the position.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline Guess83

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 18:01 »
if your sitting position or the speaker position allow to move forward or backward, you could try moving a foot forward and repeat the contents you are very familiar with. there will be a distance your own ear will know what is the best distance on the speakers best performance. if no, auto room correction will help.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 19:28 »
Few suggestions that will likely bring up your HT experience quite significantly.

1) pull your front speakers to the widest apart on table where possible to have wider sound stage and increase the speakers angle to mlp. (see dolby specs for the min angle). From the photo, it seems u may not have the minimum angle. If its possible, I would wall mount the speakers and place them apart as wide as possible on the wall.

2) raise your LR speakers by putting something below, till tweeter is at ear level, like what bro Rayleh and guess here said. Golden rule that must follow. But raising your speaker will be much better than tilting, so raise if u can. Good that u have isolation pad already for LR speakers.

3) add footers/pad to centre speaker to isolate it from console like what bro DJQ suggested. And tilt centre speaker such that tweeter points slightly above ear level like wat bro Rayleh suggested. So that the centre speaker sound will sound more like coming from the screen and not below.

4) your mlp is against the wall. Not ideal. Suggest that u move mlp forward during watching. It will make a BIG difference. Mine was like that too for many years until bros here advised strongly to move mlp away from wall. But wife didn't allow. So i just moved mlp forward during HT time and move back sofa after use. Made her and myself happy

Once u do the above, do a proper recalibration again.

Try it out and let us know if u hear improvements. Hope this helps :)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 21:51 by sevenz »

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Click below URL @Bass EQ for Filtered Movies!
    • Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 19:38 »
i am more concerned in getting the speakers to perform better. putting proper isolation footers below them.

Agree with the isolation footers placement and also place the front L and R as wide as possible for a distinctive hearing separation cheers.
100% HT Lover  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR DV*Arcana 18Gbps  Source: Oppo UDP-203 & Zidoo Z1000 PRO
Cinénova Grande 5 l Denon AVR-X4400H Pre-out @7.2.4
Miller & Kreisel® S150 THX Ultra2 Monitor L\C\R ,K4BK Tripole Front Heights 
Dual Rythmik FV18s @miniDSP 2x4 HD\WI-DG *BEQ*

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 19:46 »
Few suggestions that will likely bring up your HT experience quite significantly.

1) pull your front speakers to the widest apart on table where possible to have wider sound stage and increase the speakers angle to mlp. (see dolby specs for the min angle). From the photo, it seems u may not have the minimum angle. If its possible, I would wall mount the speakers and place them apart as wide as possible on the wall.

2) raise your LR speakers by putting something below, till tweeter is at ear level. Golden rule that must follow. Good that u have isolation pad already.

3) add footers/pad to centre speaker to isolate it from console. And tilt centre speaker such that tweeter points slightly above ear level. So that the centre speaker sound will sound more like coming from the screen and not below.

4) your mlp is against the wall. Not ideal. Suggest that u move mlp forward during watching. It will make a BIG difference. Mine was like that too for many years until bros here advised strongly to move mlp away from wall. But wife didn't allow. So i just moved mlp forward during HT time and move back sofa after use. Made her and myself happy

Thanks for the inputs. What is mlp?

Offline rayleh

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 19:46 »
Main listening position

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 19:47 »
Since they are bookshelf speakers, why not use some books to lift up or tilt. let your own ear as final judgement. rem to do auto room correction to optimise the result once you final the position.

:)

Offline DJQ

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 00:26 »

2) raise your LR speakers by putting something below, till tweeter is at ear level, like what bro Rayleh and guess here said. Golden rule that must follow. But raising your speaker will be much better than tilting, so raise if u can. Good that u have isolation pad already for LR speakers.

3) add footers/pad to centre speaker to isolate it from console like what bro DJQ suggested. And tilt centre speaker such that tweeter points slightly above ear level like wat bro Rayleh suggested. So that the centre speaker sound will sound more like coming from the screen and not below.

Kudos to you bro. Very well explained in detail.

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 14:55 »
Kudos to you bro. Very well explained in detail.
I measured that I need to raise the LR speakers about 20cm to have the tweeter to be same level as the listening position. Any idea what I can use (permanent) to achieve this? I thought of some wood blocks but the size has to be customised.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 15:42 »
I measured that I need to raise the LR speakers about 20cm to have the tweeter to be same level as the listening position. Any idea what I can use (permanent) to achieve this? I thought of some wood blocks but the size has to be customised.

try the isoacoustics speakers stands that Rayleh suggested. :) Renowned for isolation from the table and can raise height. Used by many sound studios and audio people.

I just bought a pair of the iso stands for my godpa to isolate his front speakers from his TV console. The only minor drawback is, it might not be able to raise to the super exact ear level as the height adjustment is done via connecting different metal poles of different lengths,  and the kit don't have too many very short pole lengths for minor adjustments.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 15:50 by sevenz »

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 09:38 »

Offline DJQ

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 08:16 »
i will not recommend these. best is still the ISO Acoustics.

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 08:33 »
^^^^^^^

yes to iso stands, get the cheaper ones, there are a few sizes, they should cost about $150-200, depending on sizes. there's option for a lot of positions, as can tilt up, down, the rods avail in 2 heights, i personally use the lower set with tilt up for desktop use.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 10:32 »
i will not recommend these. best is still the ISO Acoustics.

+1 with DJQ too. The stands in the link may not be the ideal for sound.

If Isoacoustics doesn't work for you, another alternative u can consider is to get custom wooden blocks from kelantan lane (there's a wood shop there) to raise; and then add industrial rubber footers found at DIY shops to decouple. Taobao might have good desk stands too.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:34 by sevenz »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal