Author Topic: Save space by ripping all my blueray collection  (Read 6040 times)

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Save space by ripping all my blueray collection
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 18:40 »
Hi guys, I have a similar question along these lines… I want to extract the audio from my music blu ray discs – the hi res 24/96 tracks. I want to do the same for my music DVDs also – these are both regular DVDs and DVD-Audio discs. What software would you recommend that works on a Mac?

I use DVD Audio Extractor - http://www.dvdae.com

User interface is pretty rudimentary, but works well enough for pretty much every kind of disc including DVD-Audio (MLP coded), and Blu-Ray discs. It'll list all the different audio track available on an inserted disc; like DTS, AC3, LPCM, multi-channel and stereo etc., you just pick which one you want to rip and chose the output format which includes WAV, AIFF, FLAC etc  :)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline kingajit

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 12:03 »
Dear Bros,

To share you need to think of a complete package solution. Its not cheap to rip blurays at the current HDD prices.

You need a NAS with a huge capacity, Any DVD ( to remove protection), http://www.mymovies.dk/products/home-and-essentials-server.aspx - for ripping ISO or BDMV , preferably a dedicated PC with i5/i7 processor and decent RAM size ( 8GB) , an external bluray player to connect to PC and a player like the Oppo -103D ( with jailbreak) which can play ISO/ BDMV files.

Needless to say that you will have to make a 1:1 backup of all your HDD's - since you will have spent a lot of time and effort ripping your collection.

As an extreme case example - The Bond 50 Bluray ( 23 blu rays) - costs USD 125. To rip this to HDD in ISO will take up an estimated 660 GB - 800 GB - say a 1 TB HDD. After you have done all the hardwork of ripping to your HDD you will have to backup to another 1 TB HDD.

At times I wonder if it is just about saving space then why not just put all the discs into a sleeve file! Of course there is the convenience of easy access once you have put them into HDD as you dont have to get up each time and physically search for your movies.

Its a long project plan carefully else you will end up re-doing the ripping again and again.

Cheers ...enjoy your ripping.

AVR : Denon 7200 WA,
Fronts : Monitor audio GX 300
Centre : Monitor Audio  GX 350
Surrounds : Monitor Audio GX100
Back Surrounds : Monitor Audio Radius
Atmos Front & Rear : Deftec Pro 1000
Subwoofer: 2 x JL E112
DA & T stereo amp for Front speakers
Emotiva XPA 1 Gen 2 monoblock for Centre speaker
Marantz power amp for surrounds and back surrounds
Marantz power amp for four Atmos overhead speakers
Oppo 203 blu ray player
JVC projector x7000,
Carada screen 235:1 110 inches

Offline marcus28

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 12:10 »
Hi bro kingajit, thanks for the sharing.  I also do realized this constraint. How about ripping to MKV, will the quality still be preserved apart from the menu ?

Dear Bros,

To share you need to think of a complete package solution. Its not cheap to rip blurays at the current HDD prices.

You need a NAS with a huge capacity, Any DVD ( to remove protection), http://www.mymovies.dk/products/home-and-essentials-server.aspx - for ripping ISO or BDMV , preferably a dedicated PC with i5/i7 processor and decent RAM size ( 8GB) , an external bluray player to connect to PC and a player like the Oppo -103D ( with jailbreak) which can play ISO/ BDMV files.

Needless to say that you will have to make a 1:1 backup of all your HDD's - since you will have spent a lot of time and effort ripping your collection.

As an extreme case example - The Bond 50 Bluray ( 23 blu rays) - costs USD 125. To rip this to HDD in ISO will take up an estimated 660 GB - 800 GB - say a 1 TB HDD. After you have done all the hardwork of ripping to your HDD you will have to backup to another 1 TB HDD.

At times I wonder if it is just about saving space then why not just put all the discs into a sleeve file! Of course there is the convenience of easy access once you have put them into HDD as you dont have to get up each time and physically search for your movies.

Its a long project plan carefully else you will end up re-doing the ripping again and again.

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 12:12 »
hehehe!!!
that's y i don't wanna rip my blurays..
jus use the physical disc itself..
 :D
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline Yummyyumi

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 14:15 »
hehehe!!!
that's y i don't wanna rip my blurays..
jus use the physical disc itself..
 :D
Dear Bros,

Totally agree... wow I'll still keep my physical disc..

Yummy
Yummy.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 22:39 »
I (well my mrs) have a lot of dvd that would like to rip but don't have so many bray's as yet. So that's not going to take up so much space but might rip the odd concert bray just to have easy access
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 13:44 »
Hi bro kingajit, thanks for the sharing.  I also do realized this constraint. How about ripping to MKV, will the quality still be preserved apart from the menu ?

Try MakeMkv freeware..You can preserve DTS Master Audio or TrueHD and subs too. no menu and you dictate what size and compression you want.

I ripped my collection of HD-DVD using makemkv and probably used 400G of HDD.

Also its a pain staking process so I do about 2 titles per day. I was using macmini bootcamp into windows with external HD-DVD Drive by Xbox.

Having said that I only ripped my concert blu rays into my NAS at exact rip into ISO using AnyHDDVD.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 14:04 by DizzyD »
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline MatJenin

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 18:50 »
Hi all,
Quick questions... Besides iso format, what other format is good to rip blu-ray movies without compromising the output quality too much. Thanks.
HT: Sony VPL-VW870ES 4K Laser Projector|Denon AVR-X7200W|OS 130" widescreen (Motorised)|Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player|Popcorn Hour PCH A500 Pro Media Player|Def Tech STS Front HT Speakers with built-in Sub-woofer|Def Tech Mythos 10 Centre HT Speaker|
Def Tech UIW Front Height HT Speakers|Def Tech UIW Surround HT Speakers (In-Ceiling Mount)|Def Tech Surround Back HT Speakers (In-Ceiling Mount)|JL Audio F113 SW|Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal RC | Apple TV 4K

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 19:19 »
I have managed to rip my HDDVD into ISO but I failed to playback any of them with VLC player or DVDFAB player.  It open up a screen but it’s a black screen or a grey screen with some bars on the left.

I may try the Leowo ripper next.

(Audio)

Offline wcseow

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 19:39 »
I did mine in mkv mostly. Uncompressed. For concert BR or those that have features I like, will be in BD Folder if it works. I dont do it in ISO.

I believe MKV quality is maintained as long as not compressed. I play mkvs with Zidoo UHD2000, and if I play the same mkv with Panny UB820, video is brighter but probably due to the player itself rather than the file.

Hope it help.

Hi all,
Quick questions... Besides iso format, what other format is good to rip blu-ray movies without compromising the output quality too much. Thanks.

Offline MatJenin

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 19:54 »
I did mine in mkv mostly. Uncompressed. For concert BR or those that have features I like, will be in BD Folder if it works. I dont do it in ISO.

I believe MKV quality is maintained as long as not compressed. I play mkvs with Zidoo UHD2000, and if I play the same mkv with Panny UB820, video is brighter but probably due to the player itself rather than the file.

Hope it help.

Thanks for the tip. I was using iso format for all my ripping but the file size is extremely huge 30-40GB per file! Hope MKV file works with PCH A-500. Anyone can advise? Thanks.
HT: Sony VPL-VW870ES 4K Laser Projector|Denon AVR-X7200W|OS 130" widescreen (Motorised)|Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player|Popcorn Hour PCH A500 Pro Media Player|Def Tech STS Front HT Speakers with built-in Sub-woofer|Def Tech Mythos 10 Centre HT Speaker|
Def Tech UIW Front Height HT Speakers|Def Tech UIW Surround HT Speakers (In-Ceiling Mount)|Def Tech Surround Back HT Speakers (In-Ceiling Mount)|JL Audio F113 SW|Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal RC | Apple TV 4K

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal