Author Topic: LINE MAGNETIC LM-88IA upgrade to LM-150IA  (Read 9119 times)

Offline ajitmoses

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: LINE MAGNETIC LM-88IA
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 21:49 »
Thanks a lot Watch Dog. That is reassuring. The tubes come as stock on the LM88IA. I will update once I do about 50 hours.
Current Setup:
Elac Adante AF61, Line Magnetic LM-88IA, Peachtree Nova 300, Elac Discovery, Rega Planar 3, Rega MM Phono Mk3,  Tellurium Q Black 2 Spkr Cable, Tellurium Q Black RCA and Phono, Shunyata Venom V2, Furutech Nano, Audio Quest Niagra 1000

Offline ajitmoses

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 15:44 »
Update at 50 hours:

I am happy to share that the top end grain which was annoying me seems to have gone away. I am not sure which tube was the grainy one but the burn in seems to have made it go away. I am still not listening to it critically but I get the feeling that I can extract good sound from the amp. The speaker positioning needs to be re done for sure. The bass delivery is different to that of my Peachtree Nova 300 amp. The peachtree had a better grip on bass heavy tracks. I am referring to the lows and not the mid bass. I feel the mid bass is not affected at all but the bass does feel a little slower but I would not call it as a weakness..just a different presentation.

I changed the polarity of the speakers at the speaker end and to my ears, it seemed to have improved the SQ. Not night and day but surely few things are slightly clearer. It could be a placebo but I will keep experimenting since it causes no harm. The amp has good extension in the mids and highs. Good recordings sound good. Bad recordings sound horrible. The peachtree did not extend as much so rounded highs helps with poor recordings ( lots of 70s rock on tidal is not the best of recordings). My elac Adantes are extremely revealing speakers and very unforgiving on bad recordings with this amp. I have to live with it as a wise man said "In a high fidelity setup, garbage in is garbage out".

The amp for these speakers work best when I listen to them at about 70 to 75 db. Music loses its vitality at lower volumes. The amp shines with vocals and less instruments. Strings sound great especially acoustic guitars with vocals. I feel when there is a lot of instruments, the amp is not necessarily able to hold all of it together. Noticed only on some complex symphony. This again could be due to my speaker being harder to drive in general. I am yet to do any critical listening. I will give it about 200 hours.

I am yet to try Vinyl on them yet I am waiting form my Tellurium Q Black II phono cables to reach me. Bought from Ray of Rain Drop audio.

Big thanks to @watchdog who helped with troubleshooting and knowledge sharing.

I will update post the 200 hour mark. On a separate note, who are the reliable dealers for buying tubes? Local or Online? Can I also know what pre amp tubes that you recommend for rolling. From what I have read, RCA Black Plates NOS  are quite popular and are in line with my preference in sound signature. I like a romantic sound with decent amount of detail. Rich/Dark/Warm are terms that work well with this speaker. Ideally should also work if I were to have a separate horn loaded speaker (think heresy/forte) down the line. I do not want to change the KT88 right now since I guess they have a shorter life and will need a change sooner than preamp tubes.

Thanks
Current Setup:
Elac Adante AF61, Line Magnetic LM-88IA, Peachtree Nova 300, Elac Discovery, Rega Planar 3, Rega MM Phono Mk3,  Tellurium Q Black 2 Spkr Cable, Tellurium Q Black RCA and Phono, Shunyata Venom V2, Furutech Nano, Audio Quest Niagra 1000

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 16:19 »
Here is a quick list from the top of my head with some commentary :-

Local Shops
1. Well Audio Lab, Burlington. Best source for NOS / used vintage tubes. Good selection of new tubes too
2. Martin Electronics, Burlington. Auntie Martin seems to have very little NOS tubes left. Small selection of new tubes
3. Larry Hi-Fi. Never tried them but I believe that they have a small range of tubes too.
4. Live Acoustics. Robert Lai brings in a small selection of tubes, mostly to compliment his Line Magnetic amps. Seems to be concentrated more on directly heated tubes.

Overseas
1. Jim Mcshane. Fantastic guy and very reputable. I've exchanged e-mails with him before and he is a true gentleman.
2. Brent Jesse. Formidable range of tubes, at a premium. Very knowledgeable too.
3. Parts Connexion. Decent range of new tubes, but with very little NOS stock. Has good deals once in a while.

E-bay ? Luck of the draw. I've got both very good tubes and absolute rubbish. My recommendation is not to buy tubes off E-bay unless you are very experienced and have your own tube tester to verify the seller's claims. DISCLAIMER - I trade in tubes as a hobby. 
Less is more !

Offline Saycheese78

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 00:18 »
Any thanks for one of the most detailed and honest review!

Offline ajitmoses

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 11:03 »
Just wanted to share an update on my journey.

The more I listened to the amp, I was convinced that it did a few things very well with my speakers and a few things which left me wanting for more. This is not the problem with the amp but rather it was the nature of my speaker. The pairing was restricting my choice of music and I was listening to slow/easier music. Fast rock music was not something this pair seemed to do well with. I did not want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to tube roll since it was not going to change the power demands of the speaker.

After a lot of discussion with the dealer, I have decided to move up to the LM-150 IA amplifier. I feel this is a better match for my speakers. I heard the LM-150 with ATC SM50 and I liked what I heard. I will share my updates once the new beast comes home this Friday.

For those who reading this thread, I recommend using the LM-88IA with relatively easier to drive speakers and it would do a phenomenal job.

If there are anyone who have experience with the LM-150IA please do share your feedback.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:06 by ajitmoses »
Current Setup:

Offline malsound

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 11:56 »
From you natural progression  I thank you will ultimately settle for a LM-805IA ;D

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/line-magnetic-part3/

why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

https://youtu.be/y3RIHnK0_NE

https://youtu.be/FELbmXdS4xM

Offline ajitmoses

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 12:03 »
Hello Malsound! That was something that I would consider if I had to change my speakers. I do not think the 805 would work with my speakers. The 150 and the 805 cost the same so it was an easier decision to make :-)
Current Setup:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal