Author Topic: Desktop DAC Question  (Read 3096 times)

Online synthesis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Desktop DAC Question
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 15:24 »
^^^^^
woah, that statement is very disturbing, boenicke already very ex...
 :o :o :o
Cheap components inside  :D
These are what I believe inside the 5k+ Boenicke W5
USD42 woofer
https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w5-1138smf-5-1-4-paper-cone-subwoofer-speaker--264-917
USD14 fullrange driver
https://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fe85-3-full-range-speaker-driver--296-717
USD 9 back tweeter
https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-13-1761s-1-2-silk-dome-tweeter-pair--264-841
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2020, 09:16 »
Woah, i don't know nothing about DIY, but you definitely piqued my interest!

;)

Online synthesis

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2020, 10:43 »
Woah, i don't know nothing about DIY, but you definitely piqued my interest!
 ;)
Again, come and have a poisonlisten  :)

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2020, 11:13 »
OMG if go think kena poison jialat...

i better save some money first...

Online TheMachinist

• Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 16:44 »
An update. I did find the Modi and got it for a couple of hours to play with. However, the effect was like earlier i.e. not much of an improvement. And well the wife did put her foot down that I am not to spend any more money on the setup in terms of changing the components.

So I decide to see if I can upgrade the audio path. I added the iSilencer+, changed the USB cable to an Anker cable and the 3.5mm connect to SKW. Perhaps just placebo, but I do find this has improved the soundstage and brought the instruments and vocals more forward. The most pronounced effect is on fast paced music - where I used to "feel" that my speakers were not completely keeping pace, but now I have no such complaints.

Think I have reached the end of my road on this one! At least till the bug strikes again :)
Excellent choice to go with Modi 3! 8) It has also served me well for past 2 years in my desktop/second system. It is a neat small box on the desktop and sound is nothing to complain about; is neutral, fast and dynamic. If you want to push it a notch you can plug in a lpsu/ipower into its microusb for power and leave it on all the time, no harm. In that way it will never use the 5V from your pc. ifi ipower is easy to hide away from your boss!  ;D

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2020, 21:25 »
To t1m3ch453r, I think the limitation is the source - Spotify. Suggest you do a free 30-day trial of Tidal HiFi to see if you can hear the difference. Unless you improve your source to lossless CD quality or hires music, its unlikely that you will hear much difference at least in clarity between the DACs with compressed music.

After 10 years of ESS Sabre DACs starting with the ES9016 in my 2010 Oppo BDP-93 "Special Edition" all the way to the twin ES9038 in my Topping D50S, I finally acquired an AKM DAC, the AK4493 in a Topping E30. With lossless or high res audio, it sounds quite different from the six ESS DACs that I have had over the years and I like it. As ESS DACs advanced, they became more accurate and detailed, but ultimately the sound signature became colder and colder. The AK4493 in the Topping E30 is very detailed, but seems quite a bit warmer than the Topping D50s. I'll keep both because they work differently for different music. I even have an ESS DAC in an Audioquest Dragonfly that I connect to my iPhone in the car. Sounds way better than the stock headunit's DAC.

Since the TS has an old ESS DAC in his player, it might be interesting to try it with one of the newer DACs that is considered state of the art. The price for entry to the Topping E30 is just S$150 delivered on Shopee. Was the most fun purchase for me this lockdown as I relisten to everything :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 21:29 by tsammyc »

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 08:31 »
^^^^^^^

i've had the impulse to get the E30, just for fun. but after i got the nord streamer with Khadas Tone Board ES9038, thought i'll just use first and see how i like it, so far, quite decent.

Offline t1m3ch453r

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Assumption is the mother of all fuckups
« Reply #52 on: Today at 18:25 »
To t1m3ch453r, I think the limitation is the source - Spotify. Suggest you do a free 30-day trial of Tidal HiFi to see if you can hear the difference. Unless you improve your source to lossless CD quality or hires music, its unlikely that you will hear much difference at least in clarity between the DACs with compressed music.

After 10 years of ESS Sabre DACs starting with the ES9016 in my 2010 Oppo BDP-93 "Special Edition" all the way to the twin ES9038 in my Topping D50S, I finally acquired an AKM DAC, the AK4493 in a Topping E30. With lossless or high res audio, it sounds quite different from the six ESS DACs that I have had over the years and I like it. As ESS DACs advanced, they became more accurate and detailed, but ultimately the sound signature became colder and colder. The AK4493 in the Topping E30 is very detailed, but seems quite a bit warmer than the Topping D50s. I'll keep both because they work differently for different music. I even have an ESS DAC in an Audioquest Dragonfly that I connect to my iPhone in the car. Sounds way better than the stock headunit's DAC.

Since the TS has an old ESS DAC in his player, it might be interesting to try it with one of the newer DACs that is considered state of the art. The price for entry to the Topping E30 is just S$150 delivered on Shopee. Was the most fun purchase for me this lockdown as I relisten to everything :D

Thanks tsammyc. I tried Tidal MQA (think that is what the highest quality is called) but couldn't hear a difference. Perhaps my ears are old... :P

I will keep the Topping in mind. But for the moment, the ESS DAC in the HA2 is doing a splendid job. There is something which is a bottleneck, and for the moment I haven't quite discovered what. I wonder if it is in the monitors I am using :)

Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions. Next thing to do on my list is to test some DIY isolation before I plonk money for proper isolation equipment.

Though, have to say that having the speakers running music has made my WFH Super Productive - to an extent that my bosses are completely open to my not (mostly) returning to office.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal