Author Topic: After 4 months with the GIEC G5300 BDP  (Read 1253 times)

Offline TheZard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
After 4 months with the GIEC G5300 BDP
« on: July 31, 2020, 16:23 »
I was searching for reviews on 4k BDPs, especially 'budget' ones like the GIEC G5300 and didn't quite get anywhere. So I decided to take the plunge and ordered a unit since I needed a 4k player with a new TV. I also took a risk by getting a Jailbreak unit (TNT version 3.6).

The GIEC G5300 BDP player uses the same Sony design on its 4k player. But I was more into its price tag and furthermore there's no much of a choice in Singapore in terms of 4k BDPs. The only problem will be the stock firmware. No ISO playback, no NAS support, no Dolby Vision, so on. This is where the jailbreak firmware comes into play, promising SACD ISO playback, NAS support as well as region free playback. I won't say more about its other function as they had been well documented.

I am comparing this with my Oppo 93. My current modest set up:
- Pioneer LX57
- Oppo 93 (modified by James Soh with Burson clock and power regulators, grounded)
- GIEC G5300 (jailbreak firmware 3.6, stock power cable)
- Chord Company Active Silver Plus HDMI v1.2a (for both BDPs to LX57)

I tried SACD playback, on DVD-Rs, actual original disc and ISOs. It took me some time to figure out how to playback SACD ISOs on the G5300. Off hand, I cannot go into the menu and select Local Playback, Music. G5300 only recognise ISOs as video files, and so effectively I needed to select Video instead of Music for it to proceed with SACD ISOs.

When compared with the modded Oppo, I was hard pressed to point out any difference in performance. Maybe some of you who owned the same player can chip in. I tried Kenny G Live, Sibeilius Symphony No. 1 and couldn't spot much difference, except for the loudness level. G5300 sounded to output louder than the Oppo but apart from that, I could not seriously detect any difference. Everything I played on the G5300 sounded much louder, its not a bad thing but apart from that, I can't believe what I am hearing. I contacted James to see if he would mod the G5300 for me but it was a clear No, the player couldn't be modded.

There's no much to compare on the 4k video because I don't have another 4k player to compare with but the G5300 held up well (because it became region free after jailbreak). All I can say was, certain files or disc which couldn't play on the Oppo works out fine on the G5300, it plays everything and anything that its firmware allows.

While it may not be a fair comparison without an Oppo 4k player, all I can say was, the G5300 Jailbreak was a solid buy. It removes the guess work of downloading the right firmware and trying to flash it myself. I just needed a 4k player with SACD playback and the G5300 serves my needs.

The only downside: it doesn't run Android and so installing apks or using it as IPTV are out.

If anyone has any tips on using the player, do share. Thank you.

PS: Just an update on the firmware, try not to buy a set jailbreaked with 3.82. Apparently some reported that it can't read SACD ISOs, and they need to rollback to 3.81. That's why I think 3.6 is still a safer and stable firmware to use.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:37 by TheZard »

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: After 4 months with the GIEC G5300 BDP
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 16:44 »
How much did you pay bro?
Why not get a proper Sony like a X800 ?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
After 4 months with the GIEC G5300 BDP
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:14 »
Thanks for sharing...GIEC brand not many are familiar with. I knew it is a MIC brand. In  past, I spotted a few selling around $600 to $400 range in Carousell after the post-Oppo 203/205 era. As you’ve mentioned, not many reviews out there, especially in Singapore, so not many will come to know of it, let alone buying one.

But I’m glad you are happy with your purchase. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TheZard

• Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:04 »

No, i wanted something that can do everything and the X800 doesn't fit.

Offline TheZard

• Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:09 »
Thanks for sharing...GIEC brand not many are familiar with. I knew it is a MIC brand. In  past, I spotted a few selling around $600 to $400 range in Carousell after the post-Oppo 203/205 era. As you’ve mentioned, not many reviews out there, especially in Singapore, so not many will come to know of it, let alone buying one.

But I’m glad you are happy with your purchase. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the end of the day almost everything we own now are made in China, even the iPhone down to the DTV set top box. I researched everywhere, even in HK forums and found the G5300 to be a very good buy. I would have gotten a X800 jailbreak from China but it still costs more than the G5300. The ready flashed G5300 costs around $630 with GST and shipping. You need to be able to read mandarin to switch it to English or get a friend to help. What I found was that it does so much more than what the stock firmware player would do. Plus I also have the option of swapping out the power supply board, which is the only thing I can mod.

Offline TheZard

• Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 11:14 »

Forgot to include this: http://www.hd199.com/thread-1886666-1-1.html

If you can read mandarin, the link explains the entire jailbreak firmware history and what to expect. Just reading the list on what it can do is enough for me to make the decision to get it flashed. The only problem is, the people who wrote it, won't give it away for free, it will costs S$60-S$80 to buy. That's why while you can get the G5300 on the cheap, less than S$350, you will find that it won't play ISOs and force Dolby Vision.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:18 by TheZard »

Offline hOmEtHeAtRe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 17:47 »
Hi! Can share the link to buy the flashed version of this player? I only need to play all region Blu-ray discs and 4K discs. The flashed unit should be able to fulfil my requirements?

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 21:53 »
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/4k-player-bdp-g5300-giec-4k-uhd-bluray-player-boe-3d-4k-ultra-hd-ultra-full-hd-dvd-twinchaptertrading-i1320830463.html
Aiyah... If only can cross the causeway to hoot...
Now the only hope is to pin on PohKim, who now brings in the DVD player to sell.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 14:29 »
At the end of the day almost everything we own now are made in China, even the iPhone down to the DTV set top box. I researched everywhere, even in HK forums and found the G5300 to be a very good buy. I would have gotten a X800 jailbreak from China but it still costs more than the G5300. The ready flashed G5300 costs around $630 with GST and shipping. You need to be able to read mandarin to switch it to English or get a friend to help. What I found was that it does so much more than what the stock firmware player would do. Plus I also have the option of swapping out the power supply board, which is the only thing I can mod.

No doubt lots of products are made in China. But certain brands needs to have that international recognition.
sorry to digress... trump still trying very hard to get all apples to be made in USA.
Glad that this model suit you just the way you wanted it. not many needs such key requirements as you. thumbs up on your sharing.
Dynaudio Confidence C2, Center, Contour SR, IC 17, Contour S1.4LE
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103, Gold Note Valore Lite
Soundgenic, Yulong DA8-II
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700
finite elemente Pagode Master Reference MkII

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal