Author Topic: AV Amp Auto Shuts Down  (Read 923 times)

Offline Hero

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AV Amp Auto Shuts Down
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 08:34 »
Same thing happened to my Onkyo. On n off I hear the distorted sound from my left surround. Confirmed its not the issue with my speaker. Occasionally it will shutdown by itself after giving a pop sound during a show. It finally gave way by shutting down on its own within a sec after I powered on. I removed all cables n tried but it didn't help. Factory reset didn't help either.

Same thing happened to my Denon 6200 few months ago. Loud static / cracking (1 to 2 seconds) on my surround right speaker. Amp will suddenly shut down. OMG it was so fxxking frustrating especially when just about to start movie night w family. Next day amp will run ok. The issue haunted me for a few weeks. Tried everything > disconnect and reconnect wires, factory reset, open and vacuum dust, etc. Always seem to work ok and boom, suddenly problem hits u out of the blue.

You need to change the amp module. On some amps, the module is quite easy to remove according to a youtube video I saw. On my denon 6200, it was impossible without dismantling the whole thing so I gave up and bought another cheaper amp. Now no more frustration .... :P

Offline Hero

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 08:37 »

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 08:39 »
Gosh this issue is certainly not as uncommon as I thought. I think it happened on my previous Onkyo too but only once in a long while. What's worrying me was this round, it happened a few times in a row. Tua ki liao  ;D
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 08:55 »
Time to change to a new receiver. Nowadays don't expect electronics to last for a long time especially those made for the mass market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Djblackfm

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 08:59 »
Gosh this issue is certainly not as uncommon as I thought. I think it happened on my previous Onkyo too but only once in a long while. What's worrying me was this round, it happened a few times in a row. Tua ki liao  ;D
I previously had an onkyo 3009 and Yamaha 3060. Well both also had issue.

For the onkyo, I would need to warm up awhile and get the sound from all the channel to decode either DTS HD MA or True HD MA

For the Yamaha, spark sound on the surround and it's goes to standby mode unable to switch on.

Both of them I don't listen as loud but just had this issues.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If we don't share or exchange knowledge we won't grow & understand. Be more open, Share & Learn.

Offline rayleh

AV Amp Auto Shuts Down
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37 »
Heat is a killer so make sure your AVR is well-ventilated. You can also get the AC Infinity cooling fan. Also, please turn the ECO mode to auto to reduce the heat build-up.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 14:36 by rayleh »

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 16:29 »
Thanks for the tip bro! There are 4 inches of space above the amp and the air con is always on when I watch movies

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
AV Amp Auto Shuts Down
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 16:59 »
To confirm is due to amp board issue , in this case ( Front Right )
1) unplug all spk connected to the AVR.
2) No need any source ,power up the set and wait for few mins ( 5mins )
3) adj the vol knob up and down.
4) does it shut down ( if yes , you can almost confirm is due to the bias current that trigger the protection circuit and shut down , this can cause by over time heat affected the soldering on the amp section)
If not goto the next step.
5) ensure vol is down plug in just the L spk , increase the vol and play ( can just use FM or 2 ch signal ) , play for 5 mins if no shut down , then connect other ch once at a time with 1-2 min interval ( but don’t connect that FR for all this testing .
6) if no shut down follow by each channel you hv in your system till it shut down and if all the channel connected still no shut down ( except that not connected Right channel) then you can safely say that that Right Channel amp have issue .
7) for this very likely is some soldering on the amp channel heated and going to be OC soon but not yet and cause high resistance in the amp normal bais that DC output trigger the protection shut down .
8) this have a code in the register , service center can easy decode it and do the repair.
9) just to remove first the HDMI board , follow by decoder board follow the input connection board to get to the bottom pcb of the multi amp board will need at least 20mins and remove more then 20 screw and 7 connection wire ( how much you think should this be charge for service ? )

Good Luck........
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 17:02 by econav »
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 17:17 »
Do not think that beco your electronic is operating under aircon it will last longer, condensation can also affect pcb and make dust collected on the decoder/input board ( HDMI / deciding circuit ) easy get shorted, sometime if luck is with you a cleaning and using hair dryer may help , but don’t be happy and start cleanning this way , as the static charge and spark from the hair dryer could just kill all this sensitive IC .

Don not think that you hv all your RCA , XLR or even HDMI unused connector cover by some sort of plastic or silicon base cover it can protect  , but the fact is some of this melt in our humid environment and leak into the input board and distort the pcb.
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 17:25 »
4 inches of space above amp, like not a lot. Mine has 3.5" of space above my X3600. I feel it gets pretty warm when in use.
I put a USB powered notebook cooler on top the AVR angle to move the hot air out the front. Works well.
I use a smart power plug with USB - so I can remotely switch on and off the fan (even with Google home voice control :D - Hey google, denon fan on!)

Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 17:56 »
Thanks for the advice bros. I'll try all the suggestions and see how it goes this weekend!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal