Author Topic: Enjoying CD again  (Read 2682 times)

Offline crosstan

• Trade Count: (0)
Enjoying CD again
« on: June 26, 2020, 23:25 »
Wondering how many bros have moved to streaming music (Spotify) for the convenience. Due to work and family, hardly have time to enjoy my music. Had resigned to spotify for the convenience of streaming to my bedroom system. So much so that even when I was listening in my room, was using Spotify. Really a waste. Then today, just received  CD from Amazon, and wow, I had been missing so much. It is just night and day between Spotify and CD. I did try Tidal but their collection is not as comprehensive. Looks like I will be enjoying my CDs or at least the ripped music for a while before I resigned back to convenience.

Offline Soul108

Re: Enjoying CD again
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 23:42 »
Wondering how many bros have moved to streaming music (Spotify) for the convenience. Due to work and family, hardly have time to enjoy my music. Had resigned to spotify for the convenience of streaming to my bedroom system. So much so that even when I was listening in my room, was using Spotify. Really a waste. Then today, just received  CD from Amazon, and wow, I had been missing so much. It is just night and day between Spotify and CD. I did try Tidal but their collection is not as comprehensive. Looks like I will be enjoying my CDs or at least the ripped music for a while before I resigned back to convenience.
I still listen to CDs or Flac.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline pokingpine

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 23:56 »
When you have about 3000 CDs and still buying occasionally.....I still listen to CDs more than the CXN V2 streamer.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:25 »

It’s still CDs for me . I only listen to Spotify for new music

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 12:34 »
When I first heard music streamers at hifi shows years ago I tot they sounded contaminated. These days however, streamers can sound pretty good. Although I have thousands of cds and vinyl, I found myself listening more to my streamer these days. It's very convenient especially when I'm working from home. I usually start the day listening to streamer followed by cds and lastly, vinyls. The order is very important. If I listen to vinyl followed by CDs, I would be disappointed with the sound of CDs. Same if I listen to CDs followed by streamer ;D
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 15:57 »
If don’t compare side by side Steamer is more than good enough for music listening....

Actually I notice when the system sound is good , LP , Cd , steamer all Can Sound good , even YouTube video sound is fine if you are not trying to pick the fault by comparing it to higher resolution source.

Online francishuang

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 16:21 »
Some streamers nowadays are already very good. On Different tracks/album will sound better in different format. Some better on LP, some better on CD and some better on Tidal. 
 I usually listen to records as the music I listen to, generally sound better in the lp format
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 16:25 by francishuang »
EMT

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 21:05 »
My new challenge is that not all new artistes release CDs nowadays... sometimes only mp3 and spotify available.

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 00:21 »
In order to get good sound from streaming, the LAN setup matters a lot.
It’s not as simple as just buying a good audiophile ethernet cable and just plug between your wifi router/Switch and streamer.

Of course there will always be smart IT guys who will tell you otherwise.  :P
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline dm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 09:07 »
Anytime still prefer CD than streaming music. Spotify is probably during commute or check out new release...

Offline crosstan

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 15:11 »
Looks like still lots of hardcore bros. It's really a shame that shopping for CDs these days is not like years back. Now I almost only purchase online. Miss those days of browsing and trying different discs.

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 22:03 »
Looks like still lots of hardcore bros. It's really a shame that shopping for CDs these days is not like years back. Now I almost only purchase online. Miss those days of browsing and trying different discs.

Yeah, I remember many hours spent at Gramophone listening to CDs and spending hundreds of dollars on CDs every month. Good times!

But now that I have built my vinyl collection, I don't really miss CD. Vinyl is any time better.

Offline dm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 08:19 »
No doubt vinyl may be more analogue and better sounding than CD but the maintenance, more storage space to store these big and heavier vinyl....inconvenience far outweigh the listening pleasure of vinyl. Prices of vinyl are price so much higher due to its popularity now. Remember many years ago when I started vinyl journey, prices of vinyl are cheap. Anyway, I have given up vinyl now.

Online blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 10:35 »
I share the same view. I am a big big vinyl fan for the last 4 decades. But CD still gives me listening pleasure at low cost for impulse listening. Low cost in terms of convenience and running cost. Vinyl costs me about $4 per hour in terms of cartridge wear. CD, is negligible. I can fire up my CDP from cold and get good sound in 1 hour. The phono takes 1/2 day to warm up.

The CDPs I have do get 10% air time whenever I need music to unwind with. Vinyl is when I want to immerse myself in music.

Online atx2

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 11:03 »
I'm into vinyl too, I sold all my CD 10 over years ago 1st wave & 2nd wave 2years ago after getting the Aurender from audio basic. Now I've only 2pc of CD at home.
Analog all the way...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal