Author Topic: What paint to use on wall for projection?  (Read 594 times)

Online dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
What paint to use on wall for projection?
« on: June 11, 2020, 09:24 »
I'll be having a new drywall put up (once CB allows it), so was thinking of the painting for it to be usable for projection (right now planning for TV placed on table instead of projector).

Since the wall needs to be painted (with Nippon paint), I was thinking to choose a paint colour that can double up for projection if I want to use a projector in the future. I know it'll never beat a proper projection screen, but I'm not too fussy. Just want to get the best out of what is available.

;)
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: What paint to use on wall for projection?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 15:12 »
If die die don't want to put up a screen....only 2 white choices to choose from.   Remember when you put up a screen you will regret this when you find light bouncing off your screen and illuminating your walls.  (Brightest BS 00E55)

But if you got a batcave and intend to put up a screen.  (Blackest BS 00E53)

(Audio)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 16:23 »
It’s important to note that choice of paint makes a difference

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ICJ2HM?creativeASIN=B005ICJ2HM&imprToken=KkTYSwbu9Sv8n9X.yQkSeA&slotNum=2&tag=pointerclicke-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

The above is a good starting point. Those glossy paint or matte paint, won’t be as ideal. The glossy types tends to reflect light whilst with the matte type you will lose vibrancy  and colour. Pros and cons. I think silver is a good starting point , satin paint

Choice of paint will make a difference

Depends also highly on your surrounding brightness and PJ brightness . For better contrast, definitely black paint, but if the Pj is bright enough high lumens, then ok. Ultra white on the other hand will give u the HDR brightness type of effect and u don’t need PJ with high lumens, but then you gotta control how the light bounces off its surrounding. Black will start to look grey if the light is not controlled.

So really depends I suppose.

Nonetheless good luck ! Let us know how it went and your decision, would be interested to see

Online dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 17:22 »
Thanks for info. It'll be a while more before the painting happens. Reno have not even started, although just got approval from BCA today.
Denon AVR-X3600H * Polk S60 * S30 * TL2 * SVS 12

Offline rayleh

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 20:21 »
The plastering of the drywall must be smooth and even too for projection.

Offline hmsweethm

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 09:46 »
I'll be having a new drywall put up (once CB allows it), so was thinking of the painting for it to be usable for projection (right now planning for TV placed on table instead of projector).

Since the wall needs to be painted (with Nippon paint), I was thinking to choose a paint colour that can double up for projection if I want to use a projector in the future. I know it'll never beat a proper projection screen, but I'm not too fussy. Just want to get the best out of what is available.

;)
Hi. I got an UST pj. And initially my plan was to paint the wall as I dislike the frame of the ALR screen.
I was planning to do that after my Reno in Jun, but due to Wuhan, I postponed it.
But I had aborted the plan and gone with ALR screen.

Did some research on wall paint so hope it helps.
The company is https://www.goocentral.net/, in Singapore.
They have Basic, Classic, Goo 2.0 & Premium.
Per litre price is Basic $290/litre, Goo 2.0 $340/litre, Classic $400/litre(need to mix 2 liquid, old model), Premium $680/litre.

The sales recommended to me Goo 2.0 which is a latest type.
They have a guide on how many litres u need to cover the surface area.
The listed area a litre can cover is around 2 coats of the paint.
She said normally people just paint the screen size and use other grey paint to paint the perimeter(manage cost)
I asked and we can call for appt and bring down our pj to their showroom and can try out on their wall painted with diff products.
They will conduct a 45min(if remembered correctly) course for the person who is going to perform the painting job as the paint texture is not your regular paint.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:57 by hmsweethm »
Display:Optoma P1 + 100” XY Crystal ALR screen
AVR:Denon X1300W
Front Spk:KEF R3
Centre Spk:KEF Q95C
Rear surround:KEF 60S
HTPC i3320 + GTX1650

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal