Author Topic: Advice on projector upgrade  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Advice on projector upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 20:48 »
I don’t know the prices in SG. I see the Sony 270ES at under 7k in Australia
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am

Offline htng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 18:15 »
You don't have to spend a lot for an excellent 4K projector. I went with the BenQ W2700, which is under S$2,500. To get the best black levels with an expensive projector, you will need a perfectly dark room like a batcave. If you don't, this one will save you a lot of money. My projector room is dark only at night, so when I decided to change my 1080p Sony SXRD projector, and Alf was demoing the BenQ W2700, I saw it and decided it had as good a picture as my old Sony and the 4K HDR was superb. Have been very happy with it for the past year.

Here's a review:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/benq-cineprime-ht3550-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/

You can contact Alf for a demo

Where did you buy the W2700 for $2400? Wanted to get one

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 22:19 »
I bought it at the prelaunch price. Not sure what it's going for now. Contact member alf on this forum. I bought it from him

Offline skittlewood

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 20:52 »
So my bulb just went on the Epson. (I think)

Anyone selling a BenQ/JVC/sony?

Fuuuu

Offline skittlewood

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 20:57 »

Offline skittlewood

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 21:11 »
Here is a Sony 285ES within your $5K budget. Note however that I think it is a parallel import set so check with the seller over warranty etc

https://www.lazada.sg/products/sony-home-theater-projector-vpl-vw285es-full-4k-hdr-video-projector-for-tv-movies-and-gaming-home-cinema-projector-with-1500-lumens-for-brightness-and-3-sxrd-imagers-for-crisp-i420022040-s1058978870.html?spm=a2o42.10453684.0.0.86ed5554F7jJts&mp=3

Ok I'm in touch with the seller and they can deliver by Friday.

So forum.

BenQ for 2.5+ or the Sony for 4.5k (interest free option is there...)

Will I enjoy a 2k sgd picture quality difference...

I decide by morning. Please vote.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 01:36 »
One got moving mirrors and rotating colour disk.

One is solid state.

(Audio)

Offline skittlewood

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 09:18 »
One got moving mirrors and rotating colour disk.

One is solid state.

(Audio)

Verbiage is a bit alien to me but I am assuming you are saying the Sony is better.

Apologies that my queries are a bit annoying, I am just trying to figure out if it is worth that extra chunk of cash.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 09:44 »
Verbiage is a bit alien to me but I am assuming you are saying the Sony is better.

Apologies that my queries are a bit annoying, I am just trying to figure out if it is worth that extra chunk of cash.

Sorry, I was just trying to be discrete.  You assumed correctly.  My assumption is one with moving parts would have a higher chance of breaking down.  Whereas, one with no moving parts could, perhaps, lasts longer.

(Audio)

Offline wcseow

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 10:42 »
Hi. One thing you might want to consider is whether you or your family is susceptible to rainbow effect, which i believe will be present in DLP projectors. I believe your.current epson is 3LCD which I believe will not have.thos

I just started using projector and install Optima UHD60. While I do notice RBE but can live with it, my children can't.
Thus I traded in for a JVC N5, which other than much better image quality, will not have RBE presence.

Hope it help
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:47 by wcseow »

Offline moonlight

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 10:53 »
How big is your screen?
I have been using 1080p SONY PJ. A happy and proud owner. I will upgrade it when 8K TV/PJ is released.
The price of 4k TV/PJ surely will drop further. It is time to grab

Do I need to upgrade my screen to 4K screens and also from 100' to 120' ?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:57 by moonlight »

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 12:02 »
After reading Skittlewood  intend PJ purchases uncertainty and what is best to get , everyone has different budget , expectation , room constrain , worries on products reliability and warranty coverage  .

A) I always like to work with budget in mine so can explore the possibility of different products on the market .

B) Expectation of picture, I will suggest to go and view it nothing beats seeing it yourself . Having a demo will also let you test it you like it or not , the different setting for games ( refresh rates time ) , night mode or day mode is it up to your expectation. You can also view options to up grade projection screens for better contrast and usage on lighted environment .

C) Room constrain is the main issue for most HT application , not everyone is bless with a ideal room size or a dedicated man cave . Buying a projector main thing to know , if it is able to fit to your room or where you want to place it, if it cant fit there is no joy . Another is wify factor, does the colour and size of PJ acceptable ?

D) Looking at the history of all the different technologies , LCD , DLP and SXRD or Dila these are the 3 main type optical blocks . All are as reliable as they are not new stuff just made,in fact they all have improved in ability to produce better black levels with better brighter brightness for different venues application .

a) LCDs from single panel to 3 panels for both commercial and HT PJ .

b)  DLPs ( Texas Instrument )starts from single chip to 3 chip now more colour segmented on those single wheels type RGB ,RGB colour wheel as what Vincent teo ( reviewer )  likes to call it . Most of the cinema are using DLP chips so reliability is not an issue as they cannot afford break down .

c) SXRDs are Sony and have their own market share ( first adopter of 4k panels or resolutions use for cinema ) also did some OEMs .

d) Dila is JVC and they started with some commercial units and later mainly for Home and simulators application now also have 4k chips set. Have a few OEM brand also .

Known facts :  for home theatre projectors with actual 4K panels (4096 x 2160)  it will not be fully utilize . Most main sources  (UHD 3840 x 2160 ) are in 16:9  TV programme / Netflix / Games / Soccer or Golf / Concerts . Movies are in 2.35 /cinema scope formats
Each projector brands either uses mostly panels technologies  LCD ( Seiko company ) or DLPs  (TI)  are the most .

Most cheaper or commercial usage projector uses lamp base and hybrid lens .

Different brand provides different years for coverage , limited warranty coverage or full coverage , service during coverage house collection or send in . Is it local repair or require to send back to overseas for repair .
Lastly do call around and check if the vendors have promotion or trade in programme , even clearance sales . ( don't just compare from internet ) Most important if you do need help on some tech stuff or mechanical stuff is the vendor able to assist you to solve the issue . 

Hope that give some clear ideas for new buyers  or those doing replacements.

Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI / Natural White , Phantom Grey / Black Mambo II / (New Titanium Grey & Black Crystal )  increase contrast in different ambient condition .JKP HD calibration disc  / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 12:25 »
As always, great helpful advice dispensed by Alf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Click below URL @Bass EQ for Filtered Movies!
    • Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 14:22 »
Just dropping a 2 cents here.

Better to check reviews and thriple cfm source of purchase before one purchase any expensive item via online websites e.g. overseas dealer.
If no delivery, that's it....

For PJ , i will purchase it direct from local dealer for warranty and in support.
Enjoy. :)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 14:50 by rock123 »
100% HT Lover  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR   Source: Oppo UDP-203 & Zidoo Z9S
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 Channel l Denon AVR-X4400H Pre-out @7.4.4
M&K Sound LCR950 THX Select2 Series  miniDSP 2x4 HD\WI-DG *BEQ*
SYS 1: Dual Rythmik FV18s  Dual Hsu Research MBM-12 MK2 (nearfield)
SYS 2: Dual Sunfire True Sub EQ , SVS PB12-Plus/2

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal