Author Topic: HDMI FIBER OPTIC CABLE AND COPPER CABLE PLUG INTO AVR  (Read 2033 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: HDMI FIBER OPTIC CABLE AND COPPER CABLE PLUG INTO AVR
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 18:53 »
Have, testing hdmi 2.1 like this pics below. How accurate ?? No idea man

Does it matter? Honestly doesn’t matter as far as I’m looking at it. Done by some lab... in China

Having said that, the best length to use for hdmi is 2m, even if u don’t need 2m. This helps in many ways including handshake issues etc

If u have to choose for the equipment location to have a 4 meter power cord with 2 meter hdmi VS a 2 meter power cord with 4 meter hdmi, pick the former.

I for 1, am a big fan of the fiber cables from the brand moshou. Having witnessed the quality and capability, I’m pretty satisfied, so much so that I’ve swapped out every hdmi cable to this fiber 2.1 version.

And the answer is yes, I’m seeing improvements on the fiber hdmi comparing the same 2m copper hdmi . As much as I find it hard to believe, my eyes are telling me otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 20:50 »
Could you run some Colour space measurements  on various Hdmi cables?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 21:14 »
Ultimately, like Hi-Fi, you must try it all yourself, you cannot quantify the results.   

Like they say, what you hear, see and like are subjective.

(Audio)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 22:02 »
Could you run some Colour space measurements  on various Hdmi cables?

Didn’t attempt that actually. Too much of a hassle . Thinking of pluggin out pluggin in cables, is a nightmare actually for me

I do have 1 spare 2m piece fiber optic, I didn’t think it will benefit for sound on the hdmi 1.4out, so i haven’t swapped it out. I haven’t tested that aspect

But for video, very clear difference . And from my personal experience, If the noise levels on the pic is improved, there is a very high chance we should hear improvement on sound. But again I haven’t tested this aspect

Offline stereoman2

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 13:22 »
Have, testing hdmi 2.1 like this pics below. How accurate ?? No idea man

Does it matter? Honestly doesn’t matter as far as I’m looking at it. Done by some lab... in China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And like https://www.allion.com/allion-competitive-analysis-test-report-hdmi-cables-quality-performance/

Offline hmsweethm

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 23:31 »
Currently, my setup is copper HDMI cable from Bluray player to AVR and copper HDMI cable from AVR (monitor 1) to TV.
HDMI fiber optic cable from AVR (monitor 2) to the projector.

Works fine, I have Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio.
I thought of replacing all copper cable HDMI to Fiber Optic HDMI cable since Fiber optic cable speed is faster than copper.

But I have read "Fiber optic cables won’t be able to transmit these high-res sound formats."

Will I still have  Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio with HDMI Fiber Optic cable?
I was initially going to change my copper hdmi to fiber.
But after reading from Avsforum, copper hdmi got a length limitation. And fiber hdmi comes into place.
U can read about the experiences they have and their views on copper & fiber.
For copper HDMI, buy those with a HDMI certification hologram logo. 1 good brand is Elecom which u can buy from challenger, Harvey Norman, best Denki & popular.
Display:Optoma P1 + 100” XY Crystal ALR screen
AVR:Denon X1300W
Front Spk:KEF R3
Centre Spk:KEF Q95C
Rear surround:KEF 60S
HTPC i3320 + GTX1650

Offline Escksu

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 18:31 »
Thanks for the reply.
After changing to HDMI Fiber Optic cable, I saw a significant increase in picture quality from my projector. The cable distance from AVR to the projector is 15m.
So I was wondering if I change all copper(short length) to fiber optic, will the visual & audio improve? I believe there won't be much difference as the current copper cable length is only 1.5m.
I almost order a new set of HDMI fiber optic cables but doubtful of any improvement.

At 15m, you need an active HDMI cable to work. If you arent using one, that explains why the picture quality is poor. Passive HDMI cables cannot reach this length.

But at 1.5m, there is no difference. In fact, optical HDMI may be worse due to double conversion. Don't assume that its digital there its perfect. Nope.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal