Author Topic: HDMI FIBER OPTIC CABLE AND COPPER CABLE PLUG INTO AVR  (Read 2034 times)

Offline justDaniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Currently, my setup is copper HDMI cable from Bluray player to AVR and copper HDMI cable from AVR (monitor 1) to TV.
HDMI fiber optic cable from AVR (monitor 2) to the projector.

Works fine, I have Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio.
I thought of replacing all copper cable HDMI to Fiber Optic HDMI cable since Fiber optic cable speed is faster than copper.

But I have read "Fiber optic cables won’t be able to transmit these high-res sound formats."

Will I still have  Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio with HDMI Fiber Optic cable?

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: HDMI FIBER OPTIC CABLE AND COPPER CABLE PLUG INTO AVR
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:23 »
If you system is working fine with Copper HDMI, there is no reason to replace it with Fiber Optics.  Of course, there is no harm just doing it.  Do bear in mind that the signals does convert from electrical to light and then converted back from light to electrical signal again.   Some purists do not like this.

Frankly, I do not believe that Fiber Optic cable speed is faster than copper, only that the attenuation of signal through metal is greater for long run.

"Fiber optic cables won’t be able to transmit these high-res sound formats" is true for certain instances.  I do not believe this statement was meant for Fiber Optic HDMI cables.  Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio have always worked with HDMI cables, be it Wired or Optical HDMI.

(Audio)

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:54 »
Thanks for the reply.
After changing to HDMI Fiber Optic cable, I saw a significant increase in picture quality from my projector. The cable distance from AVR to the projector is 15m.
So I was wondering if I change all copper(short length) to fiber optic, will the visual & audio improve? I believe there won't be much difference as the current copper cable length is only 1.5m.
I almost order a new set of HDMI fiber optic cables but doubtful of any improvement.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 13:33 »
I have completely changed all my HDMI cables to Optical because of the totally trouble-free experience it brings.  From Day 1 since I used HDMI cables I have always encounter some kind of handshaking issues.  This is due to the 19 contacts the connectors have to make at both ends and with good quality cable material, it tends to weight down on the sockets and again giving intermittent problems.

Would there be improvement replacing those short length cables?  I don't think so because of the double electric-light conversions. But if you want justification, just like myself, I would just say trouble-free experience.   :)

(Audio)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 15:48 »
Currently, my setup is copper HDMI cable from Bluray player to AVR and copper HDMI cable from AVR (monitor 1) to TV.
HDMI fiber optic cable from AVR (monitor 2) to the projector.

Works fine, I have Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio.
I thought of replacing all copper cable HDMI to Fiber Optic HDMI cable since Fiber optic cable speed is faster than copper.

But I have read "Fiber optic cables won’t be able to transmit these high-res sound formats."

Will I still have  Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio with HDMI Fiber Optic cable?
How far away are the display from the AVR that connects all the sources? If no more than 5m, then I think “good quality” copper based HDMI is fine. You will not see not hear any difference in PQ or SQ imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 16:31 »
The distance is 15M. Previously using copper cables with no issue but take slightly longer time to get the image. Now it is much faster and the picture quality is much better. I hesitate to change all copper cable to fiber optic because only recently I just upgraded the copper cable to a better grade cable.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 20:03 »
The distance is 15M. Previously using copper cables with no issue but take slightly longer time to get the image. Now it is much faster and the picture quality is much better. I hesitate to change all copper cable to fiber optic because only recently I just upgraded the copper cable to a better grade cable.

U mentioned upgrading your optical cable with better image, can u share which brand optical hdmi is that ? Would be keen to know as well

At one stage I had the luxury to test this on the OLED tv, testing a 20m fiber optic cable, vs a 2m 4k hdmi copper cable. I played the movie iron man 1 in HDR to test the HDR quality .

During the test, I noticed slight difference personally. In order to Ensure I wasn’t biased, I shared the video with a few friends, and asked them which looked better.

The result was 50-50, some preferred the copper, some preferred the fiber. It was very hard to tell. But looking at it AB comparison, the fiber had the edge. It had better colours. No differences noted on clarity. As for sound quality, no differences at all. I couldn’t tell which sounded better, they sound identical

Of course one was a 20m cable another 2m cable , despite it being 20m, it had only a slight edge with colour. That’s all to it

But that was from unknown brand fiber cable, the chip was extremely hot, after just 30mins of comparing playing to and forth

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 20:26 »
The HDMI fiber optic brand is Ugreen. Now most of my cable are Ugreen. The build is much better than others. Previously I bought from SLT or SLS but all either broken or unusable.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 21:59 »
The HDMI fiber optic brand is Ugreen. Now most of my cable are Ugreen. The build is much better than others. Previously I bought from SLT or SLS but all either broken or unusable.

Nice, the uGreen ethernet cables are also pretty good. And their trigger cable, USB network adapter. I’m using all uGreen as well. Yes this brand not bad. But haven’t tried their hdmi , good to know it provided improvement

Offline econav

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 02:35 »
That is not beco the optical HDMI give a better image but is beco the long HDMi copper base have a very high loss after 10m run and at 10 m when new is should work fine but after 2 year it start to decrease and have conatct issue....and so on.
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 03:01 »
I have completely changed all my HDMI cables to Optical because of the totally trouble-free experience it brings.  From Day 1 since I used HDMI cables I have always encounter some kind of handshaking issues.  This is due to the 19 contacts the connectors have to make at both ends and with good quality cable material, it tends to weight down on the sockets and again giving intermittent problems.

Would there be improvement replacing those short length cables?  I don't think so because of the double electric-light conversions. But if you want justification, just like myself, I would just say trouble-free experience.   :)

(Audio)

This very true optical conversion does not  improve speed but only make long distance good and also because the wire jacket are so thin and light weight that help to reduce bending on the HDMI connector and contact pins problem.
Not all optical cable are equal some only convert 4/6 pairs.
Same view as you for shorter then 3m, sometime copper is better and for 1.5m or less copper is still better if the cable is not that heavy weight type ,the cause is from the light conversion ........ just for one reason surge protection on optical HDMI so if you are paying for a $150 1.5m copper HDMI then go for optical will give for more safely......
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 03:11 »

since Fiber optic cable speed is faster than copper.

Fiber HDMI have no speed faster vs copper wire ,else the signal will go haywire on the display end and out of syn for the chroma and video and need not to say the audio signal which in a much lower freq range....

Fiber optic or optical cable vs Fiber HDMI are refer to 2 dif object and tech . in the old day is optical and design for PCM/ 5 ch , HDMI carry more then 11 channel and Fiber HDMI is used in conversion to do away with copper wire in the transmission of signal by using light.

not all Fiber HDMI the same some only convert parts of the signal , but they should not hv any issue for Hi res audio , most of this are focus mainly on the video issue for HDMI format and some may not work for Audio return channel.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:25 by econav »

All posts

Offline whitesox

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 07:31 »
If you system is working fine with Copper HDMI, there is no reason to replace it with Fiber Optics.  Of course, there is no harm just doing it.  Do bear in mind that the signals does convert from electrical to light and then converted back from light to electrical signal again.   Some purists do not like this.

Frankly, I do not believe that Fiber Optic cable speed is faster than copper, only that the attenuation of signal through metal is greater for long run.

"Fiber optic cables won’t be able to transmit these high-res sound formats" is true for certain instances.  I do not believe this statement was meant for Fiber Optic HDMI cables.  Dolby TrueHD and have DTS HD Master Audio have always worked with HDMI cables, be it Wired or Optical HDMI.

(Audio)

Yes, I also read from some other forum that said copper HDMI is better for short lengths. Sony recommended must be less than 5m.
You may face 'handshake' issue especially for more than 8m therefore ACTIVE HDMI cable would help (can be used up to 15m).
If you are using more than 15m, fiber is the best choice.

:)

Offline htng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 00:45 »
Any optics fiber hdmi to recommend? I saw ugreen and amazon. R they good?

Offline stereoman2

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 12:19 »
Out of curiosity, has there been any benchmarking performed of the data transfer rates via HDMI vs AOC and what is the required thruput to sustain a 4K 6K 8K picture stream?

Interested to know actual numbers rather than theoretical "this should work better" etc - any actual such info available?

After all we have such details when buying WIFI, GPU and CPU benchmarks for PC, thruput stats when buying SSD/HDD etc.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:28 by stereoman2 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal