Author Topic: DAMAGED BLU RAY DISC??  (Read 1113 times)

Offline slooker02

• Trade Count: (0)
DAMAGED BLU RAY DISC??
« on: May 30, 2020, 19:50 »
Good day all

This PM I tried out some of my original Blu Ray disc purchased from Amazon about 3-4 yrs back.
The disc was kept in a CD Carrying case/wallet and was stored in a dry box.

2 of my disc encountered 1-2 seconds skipping and subsequently the movie freeze up. Happened when the movies was about 70-80% in.

I tried the 2 disc on 2 blu ray players and Xbox One S. I had the same issue on all the 3 players.
The disc were very clean. There was no scratches and no finger print on it.

Anyone here had any idea what was wrong with the disc?
Is there any way that the disc can be salvage?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
Re: DAMAGED BLU RAY DISC??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 20:22 »
Optical discs that may have disc rots, will have no prominent scratches or dirts or stains on the disc surface. However, should you look closely onto the data area, should you find some kind of "dots or discoloration" on the data layer, the disc is rotted for good.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 20:34 »
Quickly rip them before these become unreadable.

(Audio)

Offline slooker02

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 14:53 »
Hi Yang
Thanks for the advise on disc rot.
Thot disc is supposed to last many years before rot set in.
I have at least 5 CD holder of blu ray disc. Does this means all my discs are in danger of rot or was it just bad luck?

Hi Audio
What would be the recommended software to rip the disc if the intention is to make exact copy on the disc?

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 15:33 »
1. At an angle to outdoor daylight, if you see some rainbow waves reflected from under the clear plastic layer, maybe the data layer got issue already (might be caused by heat).

2. If the clear plastic layer is dirty or has fungus. !Do this at your own risk! Dilute some hand soap. Wet the data surface with tap water. Use your finger to dip the diluted soap water and gently clean the data surface. Rinse. Fling as much water off the surface. Try to playback, see if it helps. Do not wipe dry! Wiping highly likely to scratch the surface!

3. Ripper - try MakeMKV. It's free.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 15:35 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 16:48 »
Hi Yang
Thanks for the advise on disc rot.
Thot disc is supposed to last many years before rot set in.
I have at least 5 CD holder of blu ray disc. Does this means all my discs are in danger of rot or was it just bad luck?
Though not BluRay... no matter how thick the non data clear plastic layers it is on different medias, optical disc rots is there. Out of my 200+ DVD titles, i have roughly about 20% disc rot damages that made me have to throw 30+ titles away.
How to prevent optical disc rot, is dependent on how much u had played ur collection frequently.
My damaged discs are those, that very less played ones that get the spin in players, not even once in a year...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal