Author Topic: TIDAL music using Dolby Atmos  (Read 2945 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: TIDAL music using Dolby Atmos
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 23:37 »
Apple TV?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Yea ATV4K in Atmos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 20:22 »
Last night had the opportunity to test out tidal , since I’m new in to this, was on Spotify previously and I must say the quality on tidal is miles better than Spotify, big leap in audio quality with tidal

Using airplay wifi to stream the music vide the Lyngdorf , produced what was amazingly good music . Both Lyngdorf and wifi router was connected to the Bonn N8 switch

I can stream it directly using my iPhone to play the master version . I was caught out by surprise how good this was and this was nicer than my CD playback through Oppo 205.

The downside using this approach is Atmos doesn’t work over airplay

When I switched back to ATV4K, I could get Atmos to work. But music going through the ATV4K, wasn’t as good as direct airplay to Lyngdorf

The pros and cons from what I’m experiencing.

However, I must point out that the ATV4K goes to the HD fury, and the video signal goes to the PJ, whilst audio signal goes in the Lyngdorf. It’s a slightly different way of connecting the device. So it didn’t go direct to the Lyngdorf processor and out to the HD fury.

Maybe one more device in between, has some impact to how it sounds? No idea. Haven’t tested.

But the airplay, with tidal , using bonn8 switch, is very good for music ! Very nice indeed

Offline SGX50X

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 20:29 »
Last night had the opportunity to test out tidal , since I’m new in to this, was on Spotify previously and I must say the quality on tidal is miles better than Spotify, big leap in audio quality with tidal

Using airplay wifi to stream the music vide the Lyngdorf , produced what was amazingly good music . Both Lyngdorf and wifi router was connected to the Bonn N8 switch

I can stream it directly using my iPhone to play the master version . I was caught out by surprise how good this was and this was nicer than my CD playback through Oppo 205.

The downside using this approach is Atmos doesn’t work over airplay

When I switched back to ATV4K, I could get Atmos to work. But music going through the ATV4K, wasn’t as good as direct airplay to Lyngdorf

The pros and cons from what I’m experiencing.

However, I must point out that the ATV4K goes to the HD fury, and the video signal goes to the PJ, whilst audio signal goes in the Lyngdorf. It’s a slightly different way of connecting the device. So it didn’t go direct to the Lyngdorf processor and out to the HD fury.

Maybe one more device in between, has some impact to how it sounds? No idea. Haven’t tested.

But the airplay, with tidal , using bonn8 switch, is very good for music ! Very nice indeed

Similar experience here. Currently on trial ($4 -4mths) with Tidal, and mainly using HEOS to play the normal Hifi tracks, and Airplay for the Master tracks.  I'm still leaning towards Spotify being more intuitive/convenient but the difference in audio experience is certainly notable (and super enjoyable!)

Atmos - only available device we have is the Samsung Note 10+ which plays Atmos tracks however the only connection to the AVR is bluetooth :(

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 20:47 »
But Bluetooth is in lossy format ? Unlike airplay that’s in lossless

Yea I’m keeping the Spotify also, no choice. The Mrs likes all the Chinese and korean songs, so have to keep that. I prefer tidal, so nice

Now it’s in Atmos It’s not bad as well

Offline SGX50X

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 20:51 »
But Bluetooth is in lossy format ? Unlike airplay that’s in lossless

Yea I’m keeping the Spotify also, no choice. The Mrs likes all the Chinese and korean songs, so have to keep that. I prefer tidal, so nice

Now it’s in Atmos It’s not bad as well
Yea BT is not ideal hence contemplating whether to get a Fire TV stick to access Tidal Atmos.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 21:05 »

You should hear the MQA Quality from Tidal...   :)

(Audio)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 21:51 »

(Audio)

Yea really nice, I’m new to tidal, sharing the family hifi plan with one of our members. Very nice love the quality (coming from Spotify)

Offline Duaashish

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 22:04 »
Tidal is better on paper and everything but I personally kept going back to Spotify because of the UI and better curation and wider library.

Being able to stream Spotify directly to the AVR vs Tidal that streams only via Heos is a deal breaker once the initial euphoria settles.

Tidal is fun to test your fav tracks and blast them and appreciate the tighter and deep bass and crisp highs. I found myself always going back to those handful tracks always just to test and blast them.

So, I decided to just download those few fav albums in upto 16 or 24bit Flacs and save them in phone and cloud.

But I still subsribe to Tidal for about 2 months a year. Now those two months will be starting again next week as I await arrival of my new Nvidia Shield Pro to test and try Tidal Atmos Music. Too bad, my existing 2017 Nvidia doesn't support Atmos on Tidal (will look to sell)- an expensive upgrade squarely to try Atmos Music.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 22:40 »

(Audio)

Just tried some of the familiar songs on MQA. Very nice indeed

This “bad guy” song from Billie Eilish, sounds so much better for bass, very tight and there is clear separation of background sound on the sound track itself , like the entire sound stage opened up, much much nicer and controlled

Not bad.

Switched to atmos, old country song, not bad Also, Kenny Rogers in Atmos

Lol all the unique instrument sound all filling up nicely, back up Singers vocals from Atmos is nice too

Moved on to seniorita, some familiar song , but in Atmos

From what I’m hearing now, it’s worth the time aligning the Atmos speakers as well. Something different compared to 2 channel music. The Atmos track sounds clean and nice, the height channels in “atmouse” mode seems just nice, not overwhelming, supplements the mains nicely

Worth it !! Hope to see more releases

Offline Duaashish

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2020, 17:44 »
Further updates to my Tidal app not playing back in Dolby Atmos on my NVidia Shield TV 2019. It turns out that the Tidal app requires an update. Today just received an update and now can stream Dolby Atmos Liao.

So it it not a problem on Denon AVR nor is it a problem with the Vertex 2. Just the Tidal app. I also dunno why took so long to push down. It seems like there is a difference in Tidal app for each devices it supported. Clearly NVidia Shield TV tool a longer time, at least for my case.

Problem solved...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How do you compare the output / SPL to HiFi/Master?

I reactivated Tidal this evening after I got the alert that my new Nvidia 2019 is arriving tomorrow. I have an Nvidia 2017 and to my surprise and revelation, Tidal Atmos is working on Nvidia 2017 model also!

But the output I am getting is very weak. There is almost nothing going to the subs. Reference level is sounding equal to -30 equivalent of other normal formats.

This is after even increasing the LFE level to 0 from negative 8-10 I have to use for Dolby and DTS true HD source tracks.

Is anyone else experiencing that on Shield? Is 2019 Nvidia not facing this problem?

In the Info section of my Marantz 6013 I see there is an offset of -14db. I dont think I've seen this before for Atmos movie tracks. The Sample rate appears upscaled to 48hz, though - thanks to Android. I was hoping it will passthrough the Atmos track at original sample rate of 44.1hz.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2020, 18:37 »

Listening to classical pieces in Atmos is really a different experience.

It’s still predominantly a front biased recording but there is more ambience like in a concert hall
End of Line - Derezzed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal