Author Topic: Dolby TrueHD (good) vs Dolby TrueHD + DSU (bad)  (Read 652 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Dolby TrueHD (good) vs Dolby TrueHD + DSU (bad)
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:29 »
This is NOT a trick question...but I will like to have a show of hands how many prefer will actually allow a Dolby TrueHD sound mix (NOT Dolby Atmos) to be upmixed with Dolby’s very own Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) so as to take advantage of the height/ceiling speakers.

There is no doubt that DSU is good at upmixing a normal Dolby Digital 5.1 or DD+ sound mix and get quite good results. But I just discovered (at least from my perspective) that upmixing a Dolby TrueHD sound mix with DSU will in fact cause your bass to weaken and screw up the high frequency range. Who has this experience?

Over the weekend, I played Toby McGuire’s Spider-Man trilogy (blur-ray version) and it comes with Dolby TrueHD (lossless) and to my dismay, sometimes, the upmixing (DSU) can screw up the whole HT experience...Give it a try and comment here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dolby TrueHD (good) vs Dolby TrueHD + DSU (bad)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 12:15 »
In my layman term; DTS Neural X seems to play louder compare to DD+. 

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 12:27 »
In my layman term; DTS Neural X seems to play louder compare to DD+. 

Not talking about loudness level per se...but rather the overall SQ, particularly the overall soundstage and LFE kind of screwy based on my experience. I just wonder anyone here experience it as well?

Online sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:50 »
Interested to know everyone's experience too on this.

My own impressions are that when I use upmixing for non-atmos/dtsX formats, using either dsu or neuralX, I didn't like the overall sound quality n bass compared to original format (e.g.Dolby true hd or DTS master) although it gives some height/overhead effect.

More often, I find the sq and esp bass is better when not "upmixed"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 13:05 by sevenz »

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 13:11 »
I’ve tried playing dolby truehd content on neural X, sounded horrible. Totally off.

Playing trued on dolby upmixer sounds good to me

Between the two, I always play dts hd Ma without any upscaling. No DSU engaged. I’m not a fan of neural X. Some may like this. YMMV. But don’t get me wrong, I love dtsx and dts hd Ma.

But for dolby truehd, I always use the dolby upmixer . Haven’t tried dolby digital upmixed. So far I don’t have that many content, most of the content I have is either in truedhd or Atmos

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 13:58 »
I’ve tried playing dolby truehd content on neural X, sounded horrible. Totally off.

Playing trued on dolby upmixer sounds good to me

Between the two, I always play dts hd Ma without any upscaling. No DSU engaged. I’m not a fan of neural X. Some may like this. YMMV. But don’t get me wrong, I love dtsx and dts hd Ma.

But for dolby truehd, I always use the dolby upmixer . Haven’t tried dolby digital upmixed. So far I don’t have that many content, most of the content I have is either in truedhd or Atmos

Interesting...can you try Sam Raimi's Spiderman bluray...play Dolby TrueHD + DSU. :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 14:01 »
Interested to know everyone's experience too on this.

My own impressions are that when I use upmixing for non-atmos/dtsX formats, using either dsu or neuralX, I didn't like the overall sound quality n bass compared to original format (e.g.Dolby true hd or DTS master) although it gives some height/overhead effect.

More often, I find the sq and esp bass is better when not "upmixed"

I kinda agreed with you that sound mixing in Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MSTR, it is actually better to use the native format instead of upmixing using the DSP mode. The DSU and DTS Neural:X is a hit or miss...but I have to say there are some sources (bluray titles) that just simply have a bad mix. :P

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 12:10 »
Interesting...can you try Sam Raimi's Spiderman bluray...play Dolby TrueHD + DSU. :)

Yea, I can Check it when I watch it. Yes I think Sevenz made a good point and is right, sometimes it’s better to use just the native formats without any upmix

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 14:15 »
Yea, I can Check it when I watch it. Yes I think Sevenz made a good point and is right, sometimes it’s better to use just the native formats without any upmix
Remember to cycle between Dolby TrueHD (native) and Dolby TrueHD with DSU apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal