Author Topic: HD Fury  (Read 6685 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: HD Fury
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2020, 01:05 »
Wow, enjoying the fruits now, freaking amazing !! Black panther

The sparks !! Amazing watching it on the 135”, nobody will believe this is from a BenQ DLP PJ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2020, 01:12 »
Take it with DSLR camera bro lol

Sent from my ASUS_I001DC using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2020, 01:16 »
Absolutely stunning !!

Gosh !! Unbelievable post calibration HDR

Superb !  Damn happy , first class !!

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2020, 01:17 »
Take it with DSLR camera bro lol

Sent from my ASUS_I001DC using Tapatalk

Drool man if u watch this in person... just iPhone and compressed only when uploaded to forum here... u can imagine what I’m seeing in person here at home ...

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2020, 01:28 »
My all time fav scene from aquaman

The lightning at the background providing enough light for us to see the creatures and shadow details.. absolutely jaw dropping watching this scene

It goes dark and the creatures are following

Suddenly Lightning strikes again and u can see the thousands of creature in hot pursuit

Fuuuuuu...... brilliant! My favourite

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2020, 08:22 »
It’s also worth noting when too many settings are changed to and forth, it’s better to power down the source player and reboot the vertex2

Sometimes it seems to stay on in HDR mode when SDR content is playing, technically it shouldn’t, it should switch back to SDR REC709. Then back to HDR when in HDR

But partly because I keep fiddling with the settings.

But a restart and reboot solves it, goes back to normal

Yes. It does behave erratically when too many settings applied. Sometimes even rebooting the Vertex 2 also didn't work. The only solution is to shutdown the source and wait for a few mins before powering up. I have no luck making my mpc-hc program to play w/o stuttering if I used MadVR. Before Vertex 2, I have no such issue. Cycle numerous EDID settings did not resolve the problem. Have to try other methods today.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2020, 08:26 »
Bro Roni going all head over heels with his newfound love... Lol the excitement and the enthusiastic level shooting up the rooftop based on his narration is addictive.

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2020, 09:51 »
Does the HD Fury perform frame by frame  dynamic tone mapping?

I may be outdated, but I MadVR is the only low cost method I know now that can do this at present.... and only with a high end graphics card.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2020, 10:19 »
Bro Roni going all head over heels with his newfound love... Lol the excitement and the enthusiastic level shooting up the rooftop based on his narration is addictive.

Damn nice man bro, never thought it would be that good after the calibration for HDR , I wasn’t having much expectations initially as I was made to believe it was limited to its hardware capabilities. It turns out to be fantastic ( imagine we demoed the BenQ for HDR at Alfie place the first time? ) this is nothing like that. It’s damn solid , just need to calibrate it correctly

I have just tried Apple TV 4K, no problem whatsoever with dolby vision and Atmos passing through. It picks up nicely vide eARC , Extraction movie, 6 underground , all works nicely.

My only problem with Apple TV now is I can’t calibrate this for dolby vision. Previously I had the chance to calibrate it using Oppo so for rec709 material, I can have isf day and isf night for Oppo and Apple TV respectively

But for HDR, there is only 1 picture mode from the BenQ. So I can’t shuffle between the 2 calibrated settings. So I’ll have to live with the settings calibrated for Oppo. I can see the difference between the Apple TV dolby vision non calibrated vs the Oppo 205 dolby vision calibrated. Big difference from what I’m seeing.

The method for HDR calibration seems to work with the BenQ 5700

I’ve also explored HDR like you have mentioned. And I agree it looks nice on certain content. But after prolonged minutes, it’s a little bit tiring for the eyes. Too much light going through, slightly more glaring . But they look very nice if you take a photo or pause a moment to see ( maybe it’s a preference thing)

What I’ve observed with the dolby vision metadata is that its like 1/2 the light output for overall screen, yet when it comes to the specular highlights, it’s right up there with HDR type effect . This is the part that makes it watchable for Long periods. I can’t watch this on HDR10 prolonged period on the C7 oled, too bright. OLED light will have to come down drastically for HDR10 content. On ATV 4K I’d have to bring HDR brightness curve up to +1

Also observed subtitle in white, no such issues on it being  “one time bright one time dark kinda effect, each time subtitles come on and goes off”.

Overall it’s quite good. Very versatile and most importantly, we have a solution for HDR for PJ, without needing to spend a bomb

The most important aspect with the fury in my opinion is the ability now to calibrate for HDR in a much better efficient way that made things look so much more natural and realistic when HDR kicks in. This is in my opinion the biggest benefit . It’s not really plug and play and everything is gonna look good.

The equipment still needs to be calibrated with a colorimeter, but one can do away with the expensive options like the Lumagen etc

Overall, highly recommended , if one is able to calibrate their screen with a meter

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2020, 10:22 »

I may be outdated, but I MadVR is the only low cost method I know now that can do this at present.... and only with a high end graphics card.
No you can’t if you are coming from a HTPC POV. I’m having issue with my MPC-HE playback with MadVR right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47 »
I’m not sure if u guys can see clearly on the forum here. But I’ll just share what I’m seeing

This is just the menu page, before adding the fury. Taken 1 month ago when I was watching the animation “white snake” Zoom in to the blue

Then this one below is blue with 12 bit colour depth, after adding and Using the Hd fury vertex2

I can see the 12bit “depth” in colour for the blue, so much nicer tone to it. Compared to the original blue . It has like this higher density blue but not over saturated. Not sure how else to explain in technical terms.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #236 on: May 24, 2020, 13:08 »
ok here are some Materials for you to test it out.... here you go for DL, dont say Bo Jio.... Link will expire in 2 weeks

First one is Black Widow Trailer in HDR-X FULL RANGE DIGITAL INTERMEDIATE PQ HDR GRADE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y1p8wkWA25sD29eo-2hAf58VgZtmxFgD/view?usp=sharing

4k, X265, Chroma subsampling 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Color range : Limited
Color primaries: BT.2020
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance: min: 0.0500 cd/m2, max: 9800 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 9800
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 600

Next one is the same, Assasins Creed, Enjoy!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kdj_fKXvm8HKHXTu_Y3IIY4owy6zV12g/view?usp=sharing

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
« Reply #237 on: May 24, 2020, 14:03 »

No, HD Fury Vertex 2 is just a matrix switch, which can spoof EDID. When the Vertex2 presents a Sony A1 TV's EDID to some players, they output LLDV, essentially doing dynamic tone mapping in the player, and then passing a HDR10 container to the Vertex2. So DV's dynamic tone mapping is done by the player, not the Vertex2 or the projector.

Oppo 203/205, Sony UHD players and Apple TV 4K, can also apply a form of DV dynamic tone mapping to HDR10 & SDR content using a built in algorithm before outputting LLDV. Essentially everything has DV type dynamic tone mapping applied, even 1080p Blu Ray.

Many other players like Amazon's Firestick 4K, some Nvidia Shield, some XBox and most recent UHD players, will also output LLDV when they detect a Sony A1 OLED TV.

So one is finally getting real Dolby Vision into the projector. While I can't completely appreciate the subtleties of DV's dynamic tone mapping over HDR10, the resulting picture is quite good. I am probably seeing more detail in scenes with high nit areas, but without an A/B comparison, I can't say for sure. On my projector LLDV is a little too saturated, probably reflecting the Sony A1 OLED's particular characteristics, but I can dial down the color to get what I want.

Online sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #238 on: May 24, 2020, 16:00 »
No, HD Fury Vertex 2 is just a matrix switch, which can spoof EDID. When the Vertex2 presents a Sony A1 TV's EDID to some players, they output LLDV, essentially doing dynamic tone mapping in the player, and then passing a HDR10 container to the Vertex2. So DV's dynamic tone mapping is done by the player, not the Vertex2 or the projector.

Oppo 203/205, Sony UHD players and Apple TV 4K, can also apply a form of DV dynamic tone mapping to HDR10 & SDR content using a built in algorithm before outputting LLDV. Essentially everything has DV type dynamic tone mapping applied, even 1080p Blu Ray.

Many other players like Amazon's Firestick 4K, some Nvidia Shield, some XBox and most recent UHD players, will also output LLDV when they detect a Sony A1 OLED TV.

So one is finally getting real Dolby Vision into the projector. While I can't completely appreciate the subtleties of DV's dynamic tone mapping over HDR10, the resulting picture is quite good. I am probably seeing more detail in scenes with high nit areas, but without an A/B comparison, I can't say for sure. On my projector LLDV is a little too saturated, probably reflecting the Sony A1 OLED's particular characteristics, but I can dial down the color to get what I want.

wow, thanks for the layman explanation of this tsammyc. Very easy to understand. Now I can fully understand what and how.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: May 24, 2020, 23:06 »
Something I've just discovered and worth pointing out. Not sure whether it affects the Oppo player though...

Spot the difference in 2 versions of the HDR?

The second screenshot is with Dolby Vision and HDR10 enabled in the player video settings while the first one is with the Dolby Vision option turned off.

Here's the one with LLDV

If you are using Pioneer LX500 4K UHD bluray player, be careful when you decide to activate Dolby Vision in the setting. If you want to pass-through HDR properly in this player, you will need to turn off Dolby Vision so that the Vertex 2 can read the HDR10 layer correctly.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 23:09 by desray »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal