Author Topic: HD Fury  (Read 16839 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: HD Fury
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2020, 19:07 »
Not sure about when Disney+ comes to Singapore, but the Firestick 4K (and many Android boxes) have VPN apps from various VPN providers. I use Strong VPN and it works well with Disney+ here
No lag? For VPN usually not as good for streaming high quality streaming like 4K. FWIW based on some headhunter "rumours" where Disney is hiring local based staff in Asia...it is possible Disney Plus coming to Singapore soon. We shall see.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2020, 12:09 »
No issue with StrongVPN and MyRepublic on Disney+ and Netflix 4K. Crystal clear 4K. So far in the main Endgame arc, rewatched Avengers, Ultron, Winter Soldier, Civil War in Dolby Vision and will finish off with Infinity War and Endgame. Superb colors and sharpness in DV.

Offline htng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #437 on: June 30, 2020, 16:13 »
No issue with StrongVPN and MyRepublic on Disney+ and Netflix 4K. Crystal clear 4K. So far in the main Endgame arc, rewatched Avengers, Ultron, Winter Soldier, Civil War in Dolby Vision and will finish off with Infinity War and Endgame. Superb colors and sharpness in DV.

I guess the magic is MyRepublic. Maybe StrongVPN with any of our local telco may not work?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #438 on: June 30, 2020, 20:30 »
Thanks...I’m also a MyRepublic customer. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mr.tangco

« Reply #439 on: July 09, 2020, 12:29 »
Reading this thread is incredibly addictive, I  must say! May I ask for advice on a couple of questions before taking the plunge?

Yes it does. Except for the tekno3d files. I’m not sure why those files don’t kick in to LLDV, all others will

1. Am enjoying the tekno3d (and other) files played direct from usb 3.0 hdd to an LG CX. Some are encoded in HDR10+. Is it possible that the vertex 2 can upconvert the HDR10+ information to DV, as the LG CX does not do HDR10+? That would be a tremendously useful way to maximise the abilities of the OLED. 

2. From this quote:
"One of the neat features of Vertex 2 is the ability to convert SDR to DV. This enhances the color gamut to P3-DCI from the usual BT709. The most apparent difference is the brightness. SDR in its BT709 is significantly brighter while the upconverted DV is slightly dimmer but with more color hues."

As many of us have extensive BR collections, this ability to maximise the appeal of 1080p sources is really promising. Has anyone done a comparison with this conversion with the older, but still lovely DarbeeVision DVP-5000S ? This device is my 'secret sauce' for blu-ray playback and has been very impressive, even when ported over the new CX from the earlier 1080p OLED. Shame Darbee shows no sign of releasing a 4K version anytime soon...

3. One of the peculiar shortcomings of the CX is the inability to passthrough DTS audio (in any form!) from sources attached directly to it. As quite a few encodes are carrying DTS audio streams, this is a real  >:( drop in the value proposition for consumers on LG's part. Might the vertex be able to overcome this via routing the DTS audio stream to AVR? Though its still a problem as some DV content is DTS encoded, but can't be played anywhere else but through the TV if one does not have a Nvidia Shield Pro or the Oppo players.   

Thanks to the forum gurus for the insights! The upgrade bug is firmly biting...

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #440 on: July 09, 2020, 14:36 »
1. The Vertex2 does not do any conversion. It's main use so far has been to enable non-DV TVs (like Samsung/Panasonic) and projectors to display Dolby Vision. It does that by bluffing certain players (Apple TV, Oppo UHD, Amazon Firestick) that it's an 2017 OLED TV, which supports low latency DV or LLDV. The player then does the DV processing and outputs a regular HDR10 picture with DV dynamic tone mapping that through the Vertex2 works on any HDR10 device. The opposite - converting HDR10+ to DV - is just not possible with any consumer device.

2. Again, the Vertex2 alone does not do SDR to DV conversion. A few players like the Apple TV 4K, Oppo UHD and Sony UHD players are able to convert SDR to DV, and subsequently output LLDV to the Vertex2. Personally, I'm not fond of the conversion, but a lot of people like it. For this to work, you must have one of the mentioned players and a Vertex2. Since you want to display your 1080P BR collection in DV, the cheapest path is a Sony UHD player and a Vertex2. A Vertex2 alone is not enough. If you want your tekno3d 1080p files to play in DV, then you need the Oppo UHD player.

3. Yes. If you plug your player into the Vertex2, you can route the video to the LG TV and the audio to the AVR. This will allow you to get DTS bit streamed to your AVR.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 14:39 by tsammyc »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal