Author Topic: HD Fury  (Read 17508 times)

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
Re: HD Fury
« Reply #420 on: June 08, 2020, 21:10 »
Moonlight, my projector is only $2,500, whereas Desray's is $36,000 :P, so I am low end like you. To benefit from this device, you have to make sure that your 4K PJ supports HDR. If it doesn't support HDR, I don't think it will make much difference. What brand and model of PJ are you using? For me, the $600 spent is worth it as I can watch Dolby Vision in it's full glory and it looks good. People spend $10-100K on high end projectors and Lumagen processors to get something similar, so I think this is value for money, especially with low end projector  ;D

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2020, 20:03 »
A member asked me via PM how does a 1080p SDR converted to a Dolby Vision output looks like. I took a screenshot (from Gravity - 1080p bluray) for comparison. One of the neat features of Vertex 2 is the ability to convert SDR to DV. This enhances the color gamut to P3-DCI from the usual BT709. The most apparent difference is the brightness. SDR in its BT709 is significantly brighter while the upconverted DV is slightly dimmer but with more color hues.

SDR (BT709)

Dolby Vision (P3-DCI)

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #422 on: June 12, 2020, 00:12 »
Desray, you are playing the Blu Ray on your Oppo set to player led? On my BenQ, whenever you switch into HDR with WCG, it dims. With the BenQ, the WCG filter cuts about 30% of the light output. Not sure how your Sony handles it.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: June 13, 2020, 09:58 »
Desray, you are playing the Blu Ray on your Oppo set to player led? On my BenQ, whenever you switch into HDR with WCG, it dims. With the BenQ, the WCG filter cuts about 30% of the light output. Not sure how your Sony handles it.

Yes I'm using the Oppo 203 to playback the bluray version of this movie. Sony like any other Projectors in the market will have a slight drop in light output but in my case I'm using a laser projector, hence the light output when WCG (P3-DCI to take advantage of the DV ) is engaged is still considered very "watchable".

A little bit of info on the WCG filter that tsammyc is talking about...most projectors, including JVC N7 will engage a WCG filter in order to boost the color gamut to achieve higher P3-DCI, in so doing, it will cut down the light output by around 30%. Sony VW760ES/870Es on the hand does not use a filter. Instead, it utilizes its proprietary Triluminous color gamut to achieve P3-DCI...and because of that, the drop in lumens is much lesser compared to JVC N7. Eventually, lamp-based projector will go out of steam and one will see a drop in lumens. Having said that, I'm pretty impressed with JVC N series lamp for keeping the lumens fairly consistent even after clocking for 1,000hrs.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #424 on: June 14, 2020, 22:57 »
We know that old TVs don't do DV... Interestingly after "spoofing" the flags using the vertex2 as below. These are what I've got from my Nvidia Shield TV pro.

We know that the Shield TV will not show the HDR10 not DV options if there aren't any supported sink connected to it. What happened was I force a LLDV flag to the vertex2 and the options appeared

The options came out

Selected the options

4K 60Hz options

Netflix showed DV movies

And the sink I'm using. Xiaomi TV 3 60inch. Not even HDR capable

Having said that, of course it won't play nicely until the colors been calibrated. Using it with projector is way more suitable than on TV of course.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DC using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 23:09 by winwinc81 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #425 on: June 15, 2020, 07:11 »
We know that old TVs don't do DV... Interestingly after "spoofing" the flags using the vertex2 as below. These are what I've got from my Nvidia Shield TV pro.

We know that the Shield TV will not show the HDR10 not DV options if there aren't any supported sink connected to it. What happened was I force a LLDV flag to the vertex2 and the options appeared

The options came out

Selected the options

4K 60Hz options

Netflix showed DV movies

And the sink I'm using. Xiaomi TV 3 60inch. Not even HDR capable

Having said that, of course it won't play nicely until the colors been calibrated. Using it with projector is way more suitable than on TV of course.

I thought I’ve mentioned that before? You can do that to the newer Nvidia Shield TV/Pro 2019 since this new model support both HDR10 and DV now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #426 on: June 15, 2020, 08:01 »
I thought I’ve mentioned that before? You can do that to the newer Nvidia Shield TV/Pro 2019 since this new model support both HDR10 and DV now.

Yup.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #427 on: June 15, 2020, 08:03 »
Yup.

So your nVidia shield tv pro finally arrived

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #428 on: June 15, 2020, 09:54 »
So your nVidia shield tv pro finally arrived

Lol yes yes. Managed to do some test last night on the video portion between the 3 devices (tv, Vertex2, shield). The kids been hogging Netflix whole weekend hence no chance to go explore in depth.

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #429 on: June 15, 2020, 22:27 »
Got the 4K/60Hz Gemini Man UHD Blu-Ray and watched it without the Vertex2 from the Panny 820 with HDR Optimizer. What an incredibly sharp and bright movie. This one definitely can keep the WCG filter on! MaxCLL is 5000+ nits. I then watched parts of the digital Dolby Vision version on the ATV4K. The Panny 820 still looked better to me. Definitely sharper although the ATV4K is as sharp as I've ever seen on that device. Some scenery scenes looked more realistic on the Panny than the ATV4K. Even though the Panny's HDR Optimizer outperforms the LLDV stream on my projector, I stream almost everything and there is some improvement with the LLDV output over plain HDR so the Vertex2 is still a champ, especially with colors.

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #430 on: June 17, 2020, 20:13 »
Hello, are there any significant benefit if I am not using any device capable of DV or LLDV? (Simple setup Roku Stick+ and Zidoo X9S > AVR > Projector)

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #431 on: June 17, 2020, 21:35 »
Nope, unless you are a tweaker. My USD25 Firestick 4K (Black Friday sale) outputs LLDV nicely so the DV source is insignificant compared to the price of the Vertex2.

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #432 on: June 28, 2020, 15:18 »
With the Vertex2 connected, the Disney+ app on the Firestick 4K reports all the newer Marvel Movies to be in Dolby Vision. I'm rewatching the Avengers series as the UHD Blu Rays were in HDR10. Overall, the Dolby Vision versions of Avengers, Infinity War and End Game are just much brighter than the HDR 10 versions and you can see more detail. Worth a rewatch. If you don't have Disney+, the Digital Codes redeemed on Vudu will have Dolby Vision as well.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: June 28, 2020, 16:15 »
With the Vertex2 connected, the Disney+ app on the Firestick 4K reports all the newer Marvel Movies to be in Dolby Vision. I'm rewatching the Avengers series as the UHD Blu Rays were in HDR10. Overall, the Dolby Vision versions of Avengers, Infinity War and End Game are just much brighter than the HDR 10 versions and you can see more detail. Worth a rewatch. If you don't have Disney+, the Digital Codes redeemed on Vudu will have Dolby Vision as well.
When is Disney Plus coming to Singapore? Heard by year end.

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2020, 15:29 »
Not sure about when Disney+ comes to Singapore, but the Firestick 4K (and many Android boxes) have VPN apps from various VPN providers. I use Strong VPN and it works well with Disney+ here

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal