Author Topic: HD Fury  (Read 17013 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: HD Fury
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2020, 19:00 »
Yea will definitely try that, I try to use a setting that preserves the best shadow details on the BenQ , at the lower ends 10% stimulus, blacks crush. Using the Oppo to compensate for best shadow details.

I tried playing a 4000nit HDR content, whites are still crushed, looked washed out on the horse scene from spears and munsil 4k disc. Still experimenting to limit the max nits from the source content so it doesn’t clip brightness

But the device is pretty versatile, so many thing I can do with such a small device

Why are you watching a 4000 nit image with LLDV conversion? You can set the LLDV settings to 4000 nits. I use 1000.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2020, 19:48 »
Why are you watching a 4000 nit image with LLDV conversion? You can set the LLDV settings to 4000 nits. I use 1000.

I was just testing the quality. I have some solid videos tone mapped at source, 4000 nits material, Tekno3d movies.

I’m testing how to limit the output , the PJ can’t handle well with sources mastered at 4000nits, a lot of tweaking required for contrast....

Still playing with it. So far so good, looks pretty impressive even on SDR HD material I’m seeing some solid improvements . But it’s the HDR quality I’m after

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2020, 21:39 »
New video from HDfury in the Diva, can be use for vertex 2 as well.

https://youtu.be/ivuLDYma7n4

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2020, 23:05 »
So it seems that the key differences between the HDFury Vertex 2 and Diva (more expensive) are the following:

- Extra 3 EDID flags for Diva Only
- Input Lag tester for Diva Only
- Ambient Light kit for Diva Only

While the rest of the features for both models are the same?

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2020, 23:10 »
So it seems that the key differences between the HDFury Vertex 2 and Diva (more expensive) are the following:

- Extra 3 EDID flags for Diva Only
- Input Lag tester for Diva Only
- Ambient Light kit for Diva Only

While the rest of the features for both models are the same?
Yes it's the same one more key difference is one of the port in diva is a perm downscale port. Which means whatever goes in will down to 1080p. And it can convert HDR to SDR

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2020, 06:38 »
Yes it's the same one more key difference is one of the port in diva is a perm downscale port. Which means whatever goes in will down to 1080p. And it can convert HDR to SDR

Thks on the additional info on Diva. I'm contemplating whether to get the Vertex 2 for some time now, not because of the LLDV profile 5 (custom) to trick non-DV display (a projector) to receive a DV image but because of its ability to autoswitch to the appropriate HDMI resolution, signal and frequency as I switch through various inputs.

Take note there are only 4 Inputs which is considered plenty for average users. I have a HTPC, Pioneer LX500, Panasonic UB-420 (does not support DV hence unable to take adv of the LLDV but comes with the prominent HDR Optimiser), Xbox X One & nvidia Shield TV (last 2 devices usually used for my Netflix streaming). I have been using HTPC with madVR for serious 4K HDR content and for the most part, the madVR DTM is working great and able to produce very good 4K HDR image with plenty of light output for my projector using laser as output. If I were to get the HDFury Vertex 2, I'm pretty sure it will serve me well in the Netflix streaming of 4K with DV content to get the best PQ. Because there is only 4 Inputs, I may need to run another HDMI cable to the HDMI 2 Output of my projector. An inconvenience, some may think...in my case I will probably have to omit the Panny UB-420 since there is no DV decoding).

The splitter/matrix mode that is able to copy the output EDID from the main display (TX0)will hell to resolve my DENON dual display problem when I switch between 2 4K display outputs (I'm using 4K Samsung 4K with HDR PC monitor as my secondary display for non critical viewing).

Whoever buy this, must know what you want to achieve out of this gadget... If you have an Oppo 4K bluray player and able to do Force DV and you do happen to be a firm believer of the unparelled 4K HDR PQ can only be produced by a physical medium, then this Vertex 2 or Diva will be a great addition to your repertoire of HT video equipment. This is meant for projector user who wants a better 4K HDR image because so far projector is unable to  reap the benefits of a dynamic meta data which results in better frame by frame and scene by scene images. For those already owned a JVC N5 or N7, I don't think there is a need for you to rush out and get this unless your JVC projector is giving u resolution and frequency issue when switching various sources. Buy for the right reason so that you will not be disappointed.

For existing projector users, the reason why you buy this is because most of us are not getting great 4K HDR image quality due to the projector as a low light source display. If your projector is unable to reproduce a certain lumens and the display technology like DLP is a limiting factor etc, this efficacy if this device will be limited somewhat.

I will like to stress again in case bro Sevenz and many others who dun have a projector but already have a 4K HDR TV that supports DV/HDR/HDR10+/HLG wanted to spend on this gadget for the wrong reasons. For me as a projector user, I am seriously considering this Vertex 2 now that winwin81 is carrying it locally here.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 06:53 by desray »

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2020, 08:00 »
err will it help in any way for my optoma PJ?
Dynaudio Confidence, Center, Contour SR, IC 17
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65
TAOC ASR II, ASR III

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2020, 09:56 »
I’ve now experienced first hand on the capabilities of the HD fury and I must say it’s fantastic for the price ! I’ll be getting one unit myself, as I am seeing the benefits not only on HDR content, even on 1080p rec709 content its showing improvement with 12 bit colour depth

The other reason is my lyngdorf mp50 only allows for 2160p 30fps, I’m not able to take advantage of Apple TV 4K LLDV. Using the fury, I can now have ATV4K video fed through the fury and DD+ Atmos audio out to lyngdorf, this way I’ll benefit again on streaming video quality

As mentioned by desray above, the limitations of the hardware (ie light output from PJ) is the only limiting factor, it is extremely versatile and I can apply JVC’s frame adapt HDR , at what price ? $600? We know where the Lumagen price sits , not cheap

Based on the observations I have so far, the HDR on the BenQ has improved leaps and bounds, it is watchable now , getting nicer and colours look way more natural. Much closer to the original

My current solution was to turn off HDR and let the dynamic iris work for HDR content. But this method whilst works, doesn’t have the same level as HDR with good luminance, specular highlights look slightly dull. With the versatility of the fury, I can now control the light output for content and tweak the HDR brightness curve -2,-1,0,1,2 accordingly

Pretty impressed with this small little device , highly recommended.

I will proceed to recalibrate for HDR and SDR. This device stays in the chain !

Ps: by the way, is there a remote to change inputs? Assuming they share the same outputs ?

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2020, 10:09 »
I’ve now experienced first hand on the capabilities of the HD fury and I must say it’s fantastic for the price ! I’ll be getting one unit myself, as I am seeing the benefits not only on HDR content, even on 1080p rec709 content its showing improvement with 12 bit colour depth

The other reason is my lyngdorf mp50 only allows for 2160p 30fps, I’m not able to take advantage of Apple TV 4K LLDV. Using the fury, I can now have ATV4K video fed through the fury and DD+ Atmos audio out to lyngdorf, this way I’ll benefit again on streaming video quality

As mentioned by desray above, the limitations of the hardware (ie light output from PJ) is the only limiting factor, it is extremely versatile and I can apply JVC’s frame adapt HDR , at what price ? $600? We know where the Lumagen price sits , not cheap

Based on the observations I have so far, the HDR on the BenQ has improved leaps and bounds, it is watchable now , getting nicer and colours look way more natural. Much closer to the original

My current solution was to turn off HDR and let the dynamic iris work for HDR content. But this method whilst works, doesn’t have the same level as HDR with good luminance, specular highlights look slightly dull. With the versatility of the fury, I can now control the light output for content and tweak the HDR brightness curve -2,-1,0,1,2 accordingly

Pretty impressed with this small little device , highly recommended.

I will proceed to recalibrate for HDR and SDR. This device stays in the chain !

Ps: by the way, is there a remote to change inputs? Assuming they share the same outputs ?
Good as it benefit you. Thanks bro Ronildoq and desray for sharing their views

Niffty device for TV as well.

The only remote that can control this device as I know now is Logitech harmony. Else can use your phone and go into browser to vertex IP to select setting on the fly. The switching is pretty fast too

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2020, 12:22 »
I will like to stress again in case bro Sevenz and many others who dun have a projector but already have a 4K HDR TV that supports DV/HDR/HDR10+/HLG wanted to spend on this gadget for the wrong reasons. For me as a projector user, I am seriously considering this Vertex 2 now that winwin81 is carrying it locally here.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Desray, thanks for the thoughts. I am getting this device for my projector, but I think it might be useful for non-DV TVs. I'm going to try it on my Panasonic OLED, which has HDR10+, but not DV. I'm going to try to feed it DV source (from UHD Blu Ray, ATV4K & FireStick 4K) and get it to output HDR10+ :)

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2020, 12:33 »
Desray, thanks for the thoughts. I am getting this device for my projector, but I think it might be useful for non-DV TVs. I'm going to try it on my Panasonic OLED, which has HDR10+, but not DV. I'm going to try to feed it DV source (from UHD Blu Ray, ATV4K & FireStick 4K) and get it to output HDR10+ :)
Thank you tsammyc bro for supporting. Much appreciated

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
HD Fury
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2020, 13:22 »

The only remote that can control this device as I know now is Logitech harmony. Else can use your phone and go into browser to vertex IP to select setting on the fly. The switching is pretty fast too

Can use iPad or phone to gain access to the web interface. Much faster since just checkboxes and no need to type any inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2020, 13:24 »
The algorithm for Dolby vision processing is superior from what I’m seeing, you should try to force it down that path. It’s even better with native dolby vision content. The dynamic tone mapping when used on dolby vision processing seems to be fantastic so far, nice improvements observed on the BenQ . Far better than HDR10 that wasn’t as good with the tone mapping

Using player led dolby vision processing on the source itself on Oppo 205, this takes some of the load off the BenQ PJ for tone mapping.

But we will still need to calibrate the screen and adjust, mainly, colours, contrast and brightness + HDR brightness, the HDR gamma curve used in the BenQ 5700.

I’m approaching the HDR calibration this weekend, using HDR brightness +1 curve on the BenQ , and tweaking with correct saturation sweeps for HDR using the spears and munsil disk and masciola patterns with content at 1000 nits. Saturation targets at 50% and 25%. In pushing for the highest possible specular highlights. Gonna be real challenging with the amount of light output from the pj. I believe laser Pj users will be loving this

What I’ve observed so far is richness in colour, the depth is improved, higher density. Not really over saturated, above all, it looks really natural and realistic. I think the mapping for red is fantastic, as the skin tones look really natural

I’ll bring out the Tekno3d files for test, from there will have an idea how good this is. Will share soon more pics on HDR. Stay tuned

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2020, 13:25 »
Can use iPad or phone to gain access to the web interface. Much faster since just checkboxes and no need to type any inputs.

Oh yea, haven’t thought of that. Can use iphone. Sometimes I use the iPhone to control Apple TV and Oppo 205 as well. So yea, good idea. Thanks

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2020, 13:25 »

Yup yup. There is drop down and button selections

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal