Author Topic: Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Gencopura514

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wet My Beak
Re: Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2020, 15:15 »

I been having my Hifi rack for past 20 years, hand carried knock down from South Korea and 5years ago bought and additional rack used from  Burmester. My rule of thumb is get the most sturdy rack you can find, not those HiFi rack with spikes they are not sturdy. When I say sturdy that is if you place a turntable on top and shake the top of the rack your table should still be playing. I have seen friends who own racks which users spring and they shake alot like a yeo yeo. These are all B.S. racks which some manufacture claim to have high performance like e.g SolidSteel with spikes on every shelf.These do not improve your sound quality. It's all in the mind.

I have to agree on this conclusion as it is common sense approach and is underpinned by logic.

In this instance in my opinion, a simple and easy test is to put a glass of water on a rack and slap one of the vertical pole to see if the water ripple.
Wet My Beak

Offline S1chen

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2020, 16:38 »
In this instance in my opinion, a simple and easy test is to put a glass of water on a rack and slap one of the vertical pole to see if the water ripple.

I like that and they just don't come cheap. Once you get a heavy and good rack, that is one of the end of the journey for sourcing for a rack.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2020, 16:57 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline AKY

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2020, 17:22 »
Have been using this brand, Heritage series for my four tier double wide and the amp stand in Sapele finish. Superbly crafted and sturdy and very heavy

https://www.boxfurnitureco.com/

Offline francishuang

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2020, 17:27 »
This company build the cabinets for devore speakers too. Very good workmanship

Have been using this brand, Heritage series for my four tier double wide and the amp stand in Sapele finish. Superbly crafted and sturdy and very heavy

https://www.boxfurnitureco.com/
Shindo is Music

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2020, 07:04 »
The New TAOC ASR-3 now has more super high carbon in between connecting joints.
packaging properly packed individually. do not get mixed up. i place them like that for an overall picture of all the parts.
Now the top section is nicely covered with carbon ring. top and bottom matched. so you do not have issues securing.

the base of the 2nd tier and lower tier has this super high carbon joint. so effectively each tier sits on the carbon joint, with the bolt secure inside.
previous versions do not have this, which was not a good support as columns are screwed in direct to the metal shelf.

here you see the description given by TAOC. A side by side look clearly shows very much improved support for all tiers.

Only the base tier hase this metal with screw treads to firmly support, followed by now super high carbon spike and base plate.
previous versions is just a solid metal column, which i feel it was bad. i had to buy another separate taoc spike plate SP001.

With the column support round matt, it gives a much better appeal compared to previous hexagon type. inside structure is still the same.

Overall the rack works and looks better.

There is only 1 part which i still dislike is the base carbon spike and base plate. This is the base of the whole support structure. yes very tier taoc uses the same size to leverage each joint.
i hope they are reading this, the local dealers can feedback to them. the carbon spike and base plate cannot be the same column size anymore. you are not only supporting the whole rack (be it 3tier 4tier) you are also supporting the various weight of customers equipment mounted on the rack combined. by equation the circumference and mass of the base carbon spike and base plate must be at least double in size. (at least have another upgrade for heavy support option)
As above picture i am using fe cerabase classic for 1 of the older racks with all the heavy plinius pre power amp. lucky bolt sizes match. maybe much later when i have the time i will swap over this ASR-3 to support the most critical equipment in my stereo setup.

last to note, i am not affiliated to Xaudio or audio basic. i am just another hifi guy that has always love the TAOC rack series.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:49 by DJQ »
ProJect Q.

Online synthesis

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2020, 11:08 »
Actually, the term 'high carbon' is not complete. From the detail description it is actually high carbon cast iron. But then, all cast iron by default has high carbon. So they make the term to look sophisticated  ;D

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2020, 11:33 »
Actually, the term 'high carbon' is not complete. From the detail description it is actually high carbon cast iron. But then, all cast iron by default has high carbon. So they make the term to look sophisticated  ;D
oh, so that cast iron segment is similar material to the cast iron pot and pans. not hard rubber type material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2020, 12:42 »
For mine at least (first generation), the footer / spike is up to you. The M8 screw thread allows you to affix anything you want. Is there any more felt tape affixed to the underside of the frame ?
Less is more !

Online Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2020, 12:52 »
There is only 1 part which i still dislike is the base carbon spike and base plate. This is the base of the whole support structure. yes very tier taoc uses the same size to leverage each joint.
i hope they are reading this, the local dealers can feedback to them. the carbon spike and base plate cannot be the same column size anymore. you are not only supporting the whole rack (be it 3tier 4tier) you are also supporting the various weight of customers equipment mounted on the rack combined. by equation the circumference and mass of the base carbon spike and base plate must be at least double in size. (at least have another upgrade for heavy support option)
As above picture i am using fe cerabase classic for 1 of the older racks with all the heavy plinius pre power amp. lucky bolt sizes match. maybe much later when i have the time i will swap over this ASR-3 to support the most critical equipment in my stereo setup.

Yes, I agree with your logic.  But in this world of HiFi, there is no logic.

You want to increase the column size at the bottom because you believe the weight of the rack and all the equipment would be the greatest at the bottom.  But the issue is, no matter how big or how strong bottom column may be, the total weight will be terminated and transmitted through a single point spike. 

At least, it is a single spike resting downward, transmitting a vertical force.   You know how I hated the FE rack because it goes one more step to defy logic; all the weight of the equipment are supported by spikes interfacing to the structure horizontally.

End of the day, all audiophiles knew that as long as it sounded good, we don't care whether it is logical or not.   :)

(Audio)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:56 by Audio »

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2020, 14:45 »
lol. damn i dislike your illogical logics.  :D :D :D no matter logical or not.
if not Hi Fi where got fun.  :D
ProJect Q.

Offline Saycheese78

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2020, 18:03 »
Haha maybe FE will argue is isolation, not couple!
Will be shopping for rack next year. So far I greatly prefer TAOC. I do admit I do not trust the fe way of supoorting the equipment platform.

Online titactoh

• So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2020, 22:18 »
Like this presentation.

Very informative and educational for those looking for a suitable rack they might consider.

The New TAOC ASR-3 now has more super high carbon in between connecting joints.
packaging properly packed individually. do not get mixed up. i place them like that for an overall picture of all the parts.
Now the top section is nicely covered with carbon ring. top and bottom matched. so you do not have issues securing.

the base of the 2nd tier and lower tier has this super high carbon joint. so effectively each tier sits on the carbon joint, with the bolt secure inside.
previous versions do not have this, which was not a good support as columns are screwed in direct to the metal shelf.

here you see the description given by TAOC. A side by side look clearly shows very much improved support for all tiers.

Only the base tier hase this metal with screw treads to firmly support, followed by now super high carbon spike and base plate.
previous versions is just a solid metal column, which i feel it was bad. i had to buy another separate taoc spike plate SP001.

With the column support round matt, it gives a much better appeal compared to previous hexagon type. inside structure is still the same.

Overall the rack works and looks better.

last to note, i am not affiliated to Xaudio or audio basic. i am just another hifi guy that has always love the TAOC rack series.
So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2020, 22:54 »
@DJQ. Excellent write-up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal