Author Topic: Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.  (Read 5290 times)

Offline kopiorgau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
  • Only Sumatra is coffee
Re: Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 10:35 »
My DIY rack using 25mm plywood wrapped in wood veneer. Threaded rod is 3/4" dia wrapped in black heat shrink

This has to be a work of love. Bro, can you share with us where in Sg can you source the plywood and did you wrap the veneer yourself and the metal shafts are they available in any hardware shops.

The "black heat shrink "  . Are these the ones that commonly used for bamboo sticks for hanging clothes ?

Offline kopiorgau

• Snr Member
  • Only Sumatra is coffee
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 10:43 »
I replaced my glass shelf for marine plywood.. quite a nice improvement.. recently I tried some carbon fibre board on my TT psu... nice improvement too... I think carbon fibre boards can be very good shelf material.

Bro, where do you buy Carbon Fibre Boards. Interesting to try. Are they more expensive than plywood. Are they heavy and can they be cut to size at the shop or do you cut them yourselves. Colours availalable?

Thank you.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 11:01 »
This has to be a work of love. Bro, can you share with us where in Sg can you source the plywood and did you wrap the veneer yourself and the metal shafts are they available in any hardware shops.

The "black heat shrink "  . Are these the ones that commonly used for bamboo sticks for hanging clothes ?

Plywood is from usual place Ban Heng Long at Syed Alwi rd. They may not be the cheapest but you can get the wood cut to size right away. Very convenient. I did the veneering.
Galvanized steel threaded rod is available in hardware shops usually around industrial area. It's quite cheap.
Heat shrink with various sizes and color is available easily from Sim Lim Tower. It's different from bamboo pole. It has better rubbery texture.

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 12:24 »
Bro, where do you buy Carbon Fibre Boards. Interesting to try. Are they more expensive than plywood. Are they heavy and can they be cut to size at the shop or do you cut them yourselves. Colours availalable?

Thank you.

I got mine from Ebay... these carbon fibre boards are from China.. you can get them from Taobao too.. they come in different sizes.. get the thicker ones.

Offline zephyr11

• Snr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 17:49 »
my first hifi  rack,

works great for me, thought will be easy to add on if required, from TB. i wasn't expecting the amplifier to sound different (after putting it on the rack, i had it on the floor before the racks came), but even the wife could tell the difference.

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 21:37 »
Racks is the only thing in the setup that can only be based on hear say.. almost impossible to try before buying.
I used to bring one tier of my rack to shops to do A/B. There are many other variables but at least can have an idea before buying.

Also did this with a few friendly forumers back in the day.. not sure if people still carry on this tradition for regular A/B testing nowadays.

I usually keep the floor as my benchmark - performance might be worse, but not much coloration. Personally I preferred platforms than racks, but no choice if you are space constrained or just want to keep the setup neat.

Offline S1chen

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 10:42 »
I used to bring one tier of my rack to shops to do A/B. There are many other variables but at least can have an idea before buying.

Also did this with a few friendly forumers back in the day.. not sure if people still carry on this tradition for regular A/B testing nowadays.

I usually keep the floor as my benchmark - performance might be worse, but not much coloration. Personally I preferred platforms than racks, but no choice if you are space constrained or just want to keep the setup neat.

A good rack system come with good platform. If you start on the floor, at least put some spike or isolation footer as the stock footer of most equipment are just for cosmetic. Next is seat the equipment on a good platform.

For those that have limited budget to start off, start with a rigid rack. Start with some good isolation footer or jump up to a platform that can be scale up into a good blown rack system later

Start with the most sensitive equipment and move up the ladder. Once you collect all the platform of a certain make, now  save up and complete with their rack and transfer all the platform over. This may take 1 year to 5 years depend on your pocket.

Once you own a rack system up to 30k, that is likely end of the rack journey n you only need to play around with all the electronics equipment. It take me 20 years to move to what i have now.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:39 by S1chen »

Offline Colossus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
  • rock on!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 10:50 »
my first hifi  rack,

works great for me, thought will be easy to add on if required, from TB. i wasn't expecting the amplifier to sound different (after putting it on the rack, i had it on the floor before the racks came), but even the wife could tell the difference.
Looks nice and solid! . How much did u pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline titactoh

• So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 13:08 »
A good rack system come with good platform. If you start on the floor, at least put some spike or isolation footer as the stock footer of most equipment are just for cosmetic. Next is seat the equipment on a good platform.

For those that have limited budget to start off, start with a rigid rack. Start with some good isolation footer or jump up to a platform that can be scale up into a good blown rack system later

Start with the most sensitive equipment and move up the ladder. Once you collect all the platform of a certain make, now  save up and complete with their rack and transfer all the platform over. This may take 1 year to 5 years depend on your pocket.

Once you own a rack system up to 30k, that is likely end of the rack journey n you only need to play around with all the electronics equipment. It take me 20 years to move to what i have now.

These I believe are basic principles to bear in mind :      "  A good rack system come with good platform. If you start on the floor, at least put some spike or isolation footer as the stock footer of most equipment are just for cosmetic. Next is seat the equipment on a good platform.

Start with the most sensitive equipment and move up the ladder. Once you collect all the platform of a certain make, now  save up and complete with their rack and transfer all the platform over
"

My amplifier is heavy and so on the floor . For sure I will be looking for suitable footers for them. Thank you very much bro. S1chen
So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 13:51 »

Well, to each his own. Overall I agree with your comments but if there are no constraints, now I personally prefer to keep it simple with just one solution if possible, rather than build up.

I know you can use platforms within a rack, but I feel that is kind of like trying to use one solution to solve an issue with another. I only do this when there is some living restriction (e.g. if you must live with that TV console, etc) or if you really need to 'fix' the environment. It's kind of like wanting to buy a SRA Virginia class reference which is custom built for your equipment's specific resonance/mass, but wanting to fit it into a non-custom rack.

Don't think we can put a price to the sound. More expensive tend to be more sophisticated and more technical for sure, but it doesn't mean you really have that issue to fix in the first place - e.g. if you have a small and light system.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 15:53 »
I believe many of us will most likely spend more on equipments and cables, and very often pay much lesser attention to racks, come to think of it, many manufacturers are actually trying to emphasise on how well their products are being isolated to reduce unwanted vibrations etc, the same goes for racks, a rack is like your speaker cabinet and the gears resting on top are like the crossovers and drivers of a speaker, a well isolated rack will definitely bring alot of improvements sonically.

A well built rack ain’t gonna be cheap, and not practical if the rack cost as much or higher than any of your gear, so just work around your ideal budget, just need to pay abit more attention to racks or platforms, there are many wallet friendly options available, but also take note that every material used impose a certain character to the sound. Wood,aluminium,steel,ganite,carbon fibre, acrylic etc all have different sound characteristics.

Footers will be another cheaper alternative to achieve a certain degree of improvements.
Magico S3MKII MCoat Black with Spods
T+A P3000HV Pre
T+A A3000HV Power
DCS Rossini with Master Clock
LH Lab The Source Pro Server w/Keces P8 LPS
Synergistic Research 12UEF SE
Cables : Synergistic Research, Kubala Sosna, Albedo , Cardas

Offline francishuang

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 17:36 »
Let's not forget the looks, must be pleasing to the owner as well!

Had a good rack, worked well and looked pretty.
But when I shifted the system into a smaller area, it suddenly looked too big and became an eyesore.
It really affected my enjoyment and In the end, sold the rack and changed it to something more pleasing to the eyes for a smaller space.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 17:46 by francishuang »
Shindo is Music

Offline zephyr11

• Snr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 18:39 »
Looks nice and solid! . How much did u pay?

under $300 shipped to SG.

some blemishes here and there, (light scratches and scuffs), but overall quite happy with it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 18:41 by zephyr11 »

Offline tane0019

• 3rd Rock from the SUN - Middle Earth
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 19:01 »
Custome Made wooden AV rack from China with in-built back panel to mount LCD TV.

Been using this for quite a few years.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Offline Colossus

• Snr Member
  • rock on!
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2020, 19:36 »

under $300 shipped to SG.

some blemishes here and there, (light scratches and scuffs), but overall quite happy with it.
That’s good deal. U mentioned it’s from taobao, u have the link? Thanks !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal