Author Topic: Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.  (Read 5058 times)

Offline titactoh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !
Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.
« on: May 05, 2020, 16:18 »

Was wondering how audiophile brothers here have changed HiFi racks through the years for practical reasons or
for tweaking to get best sound quality.

How many of us have used Metal/Wood structures with metal/Fiberboard/glass/granite slabs.

And whether Consoles, 4 legged or Tripod racks are preferred.

Some are Modular which is easy to store away and also easy to change heavy component by removing the higher tripod

I have been using from day one the Classis modular tripod rack which originally came with fiberboard and affer being influenced by some posting in this Echoloft website switched to granite slabs bought from either Balestier Plaza or Shaw Plaza many years ago.

The granite is known as Indian Black Granite slabs or Indian Black Galaxy Slabs with very tiny white/silvery specks. Its heavy with thickness of 18mm and measure 18 by 20 inches.

The Classic I or II cant remember which with 4 modular tripods is very sturdy being able to carry these 4 heavy loads over the years.
Now just like to know if granite slab is the best for density or if the experience of audiophiles have debunked this myth.

Any bro. would like to share his experience of this audio furniture and advise.

Of course some cost as little as $200/ and the hi end category may be 10 times this entry level.

So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !

Offline S1chen

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audiophile Journey with HiFi Rack.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 16:34 »
Nothing is free in this part of the world. I have experience from simple classic rack from Malaysia, room tune rack from usa, finite element reference from Germany, HRS, and critical mass maxxum. Beside the isolation technology, shock absorber material, one of the importance part is the weight. If the rack is total less than 30-50kg, the rack will get a bad character like too bright, too bassy, massy soundstage. Look for something heavy of 50kg or more (the more the merrier but price also go up) it is very silly when i see some people using rack when his equipment is heavier than one of his tier of the rack.

Different material will contribute to different sound. So get a good heavy rack and tune each equipment using different footer to get the best sound.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 16:40 »
nice thread. i am currently using TAOC ASR racks. been using various different types during my hifi journey. let me find all my old pictures and share them here.
ProJect Q.

Offline titactoh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 18:10 »
Looks like a costly journey in pursuit of the holy grail.

Already both are at the top end.

Most top end come complete as a set while others I like to believe are still experimenting with different shelves to improve isolation.

My entry level Classic; don't really know up to now in which country they were made. Each slab of the granite I think weighs over
10kgs which make ups a total of 40kgs at minimum.

The advantage of granite is that it is not subject to wear and tear which means it lasts for ever.
So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 03:29 »
Been looking at some Varititan local racks acrylic 3cm thick and weighs 11kgs I think without the legs that come in 12,15,20,25,30 and maybe 35cm heights. Look for Martin on his Varititan Facebook page.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline benhu

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 09:11 »
Was also looking through websites for racks just in case I need a change.

Varititan good point is that aluminium wont rust so only wipe clean.

As regards Acrylic slabs I think it is more suitable than MDF board which I came across one Varititan fitted with them.

Over time MDF wood slabs that weigh 8kg each. Been using 4 legged rack with MDF board and over the years they have warped maybe because they are about 1cm.

Don't know about MDF wood if there is a difference with MDF board.

Seller is Hi5Lpcd on Carousell for those interest.

Not sure if it is the same party as Wizardofoz is referring to.

Happy hunting.

Offline S1chen

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 17:16 »
granite material i will say it have big sound and its characters will be roll off high frequency and warm and big bass. If you equipment is light weigh and clean in sound, granite may help, but if your system is already warm, it may be too much and you lose the speed.

MDF is most challenging. Too thick or thin single layer, they will wrap in our environment overtime unless your equipment is super light. So to reduce the wrap, one way is to use 2-3 thin mdf and laminate together with vibration abortion glue. Sound is more balance toward warm.

Aluminium will ring and while bass will be clean and tight, high frequency might ring and some will find it bright.

Every material do have a sound effect if they are think like less than 20mm for wood, 5mm of metal, 10mm of granite etc.

Best to avoid is those thin wood board, thin layer of glass, as they do more damaging than improvement. The stand avoid hollow tube design as they look good but ring like mad. The weight of the rack must be in proportion to your equipment. Don’t bother to put your 30kg amp on a 10kg stand (per tier), your amp will not sing like it should be as the rack will create additional resonance due to the sound wave produced by the speakers in the room.

Material that is more balance are steel, laminated mdf, slate and exclusively made foam with abortion property. But they are heavy and expensive.

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 17:28 »
Using my DIY rack with local custom cut acrylics and metal bars from Taobao. Even has thread holes to use with my Soundcare superspikes. Never tried (and no chance) commercial ready-made racks before :(

Online Jsen

• Diamonds are NOT Forever while Silence is Golden
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 17:54 »
Can try out (genuine) carbon fibre platforms if pockets are deep enough.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Dynamics are the essence of how well you can feel the emotions and sentiments from the maestros and what they are trying to propose.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 19:41 »
I'm using old IKEA solid wood kitchen bench top with metal side table tube footers bolted in from under the platform below and screwed into under the platform on top. It's very solid and freakin heavy (4 teirs total height 1.2M) plus on castors to move when neededd and that I can bypass with solid footers and do levelling. Needs some braces as the 50KGs TT on top makes it wobble a bit still with each platform 38mm thick and 62 x 46cm it can hold a lot of things even on the sides like power supplies.

I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 19:45 »
Martin's Varitatan website is up again... http://www.varititan.com

Offline tapedeck

• There Ought To Be Clowns
    • https://www.google.com.sg/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Judi_Dench_at_the_BAFTAs_2007.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judi_Dench&h=500&w=439&tbnid=Oewew-H8pA1j3M:&tbnh=186&tbnw=163&am
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 21:46 »
granite material i will say it have big sound and its characters will be roll off high frequency and warm and big bass. If you equipment is light weigh and clean in sound, granite may help, but if your system is already warm, it may be too much and you lose the speed.

MDF is most challenging. Too thick or thin single layer, they will wrap in our environment overtime unless your equipment is super light. So to reduce the wrap, one way is to use 2-3 thin mdf and laminate together with vibration abortion glue. Sound is more balance toward warm.

Aluminium will ring and while bass will be clean and tight, high frequency might ring and some will find it bright.

Every material do have a sound effect if they are think like less than 20mm for wood, 5mm of metal, 10mm of granite etc.

Best to avoid is those thin wood board, thin layer of glass, as they do more damaging than improvement. The stand avoid hollow tube design as they look good but ring like mad. The weight of the rack must be in proportion to your equipment. Don’t bother to put your 30kg amp on a 10kg stand (per tier), your amp will not sing like it should be as the rack will create additional resonance due to the sound wave produced by the speakers in the room.

Material that is more balance are steel, laminated mdf, slate and exclusively made foam with abortion property. But they are heavy and expensive.

A very comprehensive analysis for many to learn from and save unnecessary expenditure trying to buy suitable rack for their components.

Excellent contribution.
There Ought To Be Clowns

Offline BlurRhino

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 21:59 »
Racks is the only thing in the setup that can only be based on hear say.. almost impossible to try before buying.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 00:00 »
My DIY rack using 25mm plywood wrapped in wood veneer. Threaded rod is 3/4" dia wrapped in black heat shrink

Online BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 10:13 »
I replaced my glass shelf for marine plywood.. quite a nice improvement.. recently I tried some carbon fibre board on my TT psu... nice improvement too... I think carbon fibre boards can be very good shelf material.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:17 by BTW »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal