Author Topic: Advice needed for new HT setup for New Home  (Read 3426 times)

Offline KeithChang

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Advice needed for new HT setup for New Home
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 13:40 »
BTW, the other person has decided to go for the Dynaudio Emits, you may want to audition them too..
Also, consider the Denon 6500...

Thanks pete

Dynaudio is from AV one?
I went there and the salesperson was not experience and disappointing... I gave up after 15mins in the shop.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 14:39 »
Thanks for your recommendation.

Actually once in a while i would like to enjoy my music.
So i was thinking to spurge on this as i don't have plan to upgrade the speaker in the near future.

Ha u stated THE key word here already. Most of the time, u would be doing HT. Once in a while, serious music listening.

And if i were u, HT is where i would invest my monies in to get the maximum enjoyment as that's where i spend MOST OF MY TIME on. ie. a better AVR and 2 subs. VS, compared to investing in a big floorstand which I only get the maximum benefit ONCE IN A WHILE.

Having a bigger floorstander doesn't mean it will sound good. And smaller bookshelves does not mean it will sound lousier than a floorstander. I reckon a R3 or R100 bookshelf will trump the Q950 anytime in both music and movies, in your smaller room. Big does not necessarily mean better.

It's really up to u. You have heard from many bros here that the advice is large floorstanders may not be the best idea with your AVR and your room.

My initial plan was to place the sofa against the wall.
But i may change this, as i still couldn't decide at the moment.

I used to place my MLP against wall for the longest time. But many bros advised against here, I moved my MLP forward during listening time 3-4 years ago. The result was AMAZING. DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE. So, don't have your MLP against the wall if u can.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 21:04 by sevenz »

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 16:13 »
And finally choosing bookshelves for HT. It is definitely a way to go. But unlike pete, I really really really really don't recommend the KEF LS50.

Don't get me wrong. I have 7 of them and they are superb speakers. But your average AVR would be unable to do them justice. Heck, even many dedicated 2 channel amplifiers from Rotel and NAD IMHO don't drive them well enough. It was only about a year ago that I finally paired the LS50 with Arcam's SA20 Class G. Now that amp, finally drives the LS50 to show its potential. I hate that many reviewers dismiss the LS50 and when u look at their equipment, it is like an anaemic Onkyo receiver *sigh*

I think based on my experience, you would need something like the Arcam AVR30 (or older AVR850) with Class G amps to drive the LS50 to sound half decent.

Or the other option - go for KEF R3s instead of the LS50. That speaker IMHO sounds better than the LS50. And more importantly, it was a brand new design - built from ground up to work well with modest amplifiers. The LS50 took its driver from a KEF Blade (RRP 45k in Australia for the smaller Blade 2).. and it just was expecting an amplifier that could match the Blade before it would sound its best. That was the only miscalculation on KEF's part in the original passive LS50.
Second that with DH, I have LS50 for a period of time, it is on different scale once I put in class d amp to drive it. Will suggest KEF R3 series too, much easier to drive for HT purposes via AVR. Also, can get matching surrounds and atmos of same series.

Since you like the idea of not upgrading for a while, I would suggest:
Get the Reference Centre then the 1 for LR.
Go cheap with the rears and Atmos channels.

Nada, I do not recommend reference 1 & centre; similarly like LS50, it needs current to drive them to potential. Reference 1's cabinets are much bigger than LS50 & R3! I had Reference 1 before. It is just a much bigger child to LS50 and bottom-down from Blade but closer in sounding. Reference 1 will sound better with it's matching stand too. It needs way more depth from wall to sound good.

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 17:24 »
Dolby recommends direct radiating surround speakers for Atmos instead of dipole. Banana plugs are good for ease of connecting and preventing exposed speaker cables from accidentally coming in contact with each other.

While I agree direct radiating speakers are better than dipole, I’ve had good results with M&K’s Tripole designs. You get the directionality for the discrete surround channels. But the front and rear firing drivers provide a wall of sound. Handy when you are using a 5.1.4 system. 9 channel AVRs are a sweet spot.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2020, 16:06 »
Heads up. A good model of AVR in the used section. Denon also.

This will definitely power your speakers much better than the 4200 and allow speakers to reach nearer to full potential

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=294879.0

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 13:33 »

This will definitely power your speakers much better than the 4200 and allow speakers to reach nearer to full potential

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=294879.0

i can attest to this. i replaced my x4200w with the 8500 and I can instantly hear the positive difference for both atmos movies and stereo music playback.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 13:36 »
i can attest to this. i replaced my x4200w with the 8500 and I can instantly hear the positive difference for both atmos movies and stereo music playback.

Wow...I can see a lot of upgrades from you the last few months :P

Upgrade to JVC N7 and now Denon X8500H...all flagship! Enjoy!

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 14:04 »
Wow...I can see a lot of upgrades from you the last few months :P

Upgrade to JVC N7 and now Denon X8500H...all flagship! Enjoy!

thanks bro :) the last time I made a bunch of upgrades was back in 2016 so this year felt like a good time to give my man cave a makeover. the amp upgrade wasn't planned at all - i only went for it when I realised my previous amp will not support 4 ceiling speakers on its own.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 14:05 »
thanks bro :) the last time I made a bunch of upgrades was back in 2016 so this year felt like a good time to give my man cave a makeover. the amp upgrade wasn't planned at all - i only went for it when I realised my previous amp will not support 4 ceiling speakers on its own.

Its a worthwhile upgrade considering that you don't upgrade so often. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal