Author Topic: Advice needed - next for my HT setup, stream, NAS storage etc.  (Read 1299 times)

Offline wcseow

• Trade Count: (0)
With the main HT setup completed, I am now ready to move to the next set of eqpt. Admittedly, this portion is the one I am most unfamiliar with. So apologies if it is a repeated thread.

I think it is best I list down what I have and then what I will like to achieve and appreciate fellow forum members can advise

Dedicated HT Room - XBox One X, Panny UB820, PS4,JVC Projector,
Living HT Room - Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, Samsung TV
Bedroom 1 - Xbox One S, PS4, Samsung TV
Bedroom 2 - Akan Datang TV

What I will like to achieve
1. Archiving/ripping my Blurays (not UHD) and hopefully of which can be played in the various rooms
2. Archiving/ripping my CDs (legacy collection), to be played in HT Room and Living Room
3  My wife request to watch PRC serials.....(VIU subscription done to meet her korean serials need, lol)

Note that I am really a super noob here, not using a computer for 7 years should give an indication of my literacy or lack of. LOL

After reading and some "interviewing", I gather below is might be needed?
a. Storage - NAS (Asustor 6404) or those media player like Zidoo that supports internal HDDs
b. Media Player - Can the Xbox One S/X or UB820 be used or need something like the Zidoo etc
c. A full fledge notebook?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 14:32 by wcseow »

Offline wcseow

If i am using Zidoo or Zappiti players only, then transcoding is bit required on the NAS, is that right?

I was looking at Asustor 6404 buy then realised for that price, I could get a QNAP 431 bundle with drives

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
i'm using a synology 1817+ with my Zappiti Audiocom edition. I do not let my NAS to do any transcoding because my media player can handle that. when you set up your media player, you will see your NAS on your home network as part of the setup process. let your media player access the files on your NAS and you are good to go. the Zappiti can do this as long as all your movie files are in the same folder.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline wcseow

Thanks.

Read more and I guess it seems that I will not be able to use either the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro to play movies from the NAS. I believe the same goes with Panny UB820. Is this Correct?

Thus, I guess will be looking at the below options

a. Synology NAS, 3 media players (Zappiti or Zidoo)
b. QNAP or Asus NAS, 2 media players. I assume the NAS itself will be able to playback since it has HDMI connection.

and a notebook/PC for ripping

Decided to shelf the plan to buy the Zappiti RIP NAS. May not worth the $$$ considering it is all-in-box solution without local support.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
i'm unsure how good the gaming consoles are as media players but i personally prefer having a dedicated media player because you want to be able to play all sorts of files and you also want the little nice to have things such as being able to download subtitles on the fly. if you are curious about the Zappiti, one of our friends is selling his for $300 over at the sales forum. it is a pretty good buy at that price :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline mushroom

• I'm a mushroom!
Read more and I guess it seems that I will not be able to use either the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro to play movies from the NAS. I believe the same goes with Panny UB820. Is this Correct?

You should be able to use Plex on your NAS to act as a DLNA server. This will then allow your consoles as well as the TV to play directly from your NAS.

Offline Kith

yup i second using plex

Offline wcseow

Bought the Zidoo UHD2000 and plug the HDD into it. Then download VLC player into my Xbox Ones and able to play movies off the Zidoo. Works pretty well thus will not into NAS for now.

Can't get the Panny UB820 to access Zidoo even though DLNA server is activated. But guess does not matter, can use Xbox One while waiting for the Z9s/Z10 to come. PQ from VLC not that great.

I am satisfied

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 17:19 by wcseow »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Bought the Zidoo UHD2000 and plug the HDD into it. Then download VLC player into my Xbox Ones and able to play movies off the Zidoo. Works pretty well thus will not into NAS for now.

Can't get the Panny UB820 to access Zidoo even though DLNA server is activated. But guess does not matter, can use Xbox One while waiting for the Z9s/Z10 to come. PQ from VLC not that great.

I am satisfied

I bought the Zidoo UHD2000 to use it as a media player.  I didn't even use the drive bay.  The PQ from the UHD2000 is outstanding.

To me, it is strange that you bought the UHD2000 and use it as a NAS.  WAH!!  Waste the great PQ!!

(Audio)

Offline wcseow

I bought the Zidoo UHD2000 to use it as a media player.  I didn't even use the drive bay.  The PQ from the UHD2000 is outstanding.

To me, it is strange that you bought the UHD2000 and use it as a NAS.  WAH!!  Waste the great PQ!!

(Audio)

Its for both. I have the UHD2000 connected to projector in my main HT room. The Xbox One is my bedroom and living room will stream from that whenever they need it.

Yes, the PQ is great. Thus likely will be getting the Z10/Z9 to stream instead of the Xbox ones when the stocl arrived.

Offline Gondon72

• I'm a llama!
Re: Advice needed - next for my HT setup, stream, NAS storage etc.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 17:13 »
Its for both. I have the UHD2000 connected to projector in my main HT room. The Xbox One is my bedroom and living room will stream from that whenever they need it.

Yes, the PQ is great. Thus likely will be getting the Z10/Z9 to stream instead of the Xbox ones when the stocl arrived.

I am a noob in music streaming stuff. Can this item able to stream ripped music and have UI selection like a catalogue screen where you can select by the album picture?

Offline wcseow

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 18:45 »
I am a noob in music streaming stuff. Can this item able to stream ripped music and have UI selection like a catalogue screen where you can select by the album picture?

Lol...I am also just getting into this. So far, mostly on movies. Just got the uhd2000 last fri

I have a couple of cds ripped into the UHD2000. Yes, it basically shows album, songs and lyrics. Although the Zidoo Music Player scan it and sort it into album properly, the album art and lyrics is pretty hit and miss. I have to go in and edit to the correct one. Note that so far i have only ripped 3 cds and all of which are not the popular artistes.

Maybe the more experienced ones can advise.

Offline Gondon72

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 19:20 »
Lol...I am also just getting into this. So far, mostly on movies. Just got the uhd2000 last fri

I have a couple of cds ripped into the UHD2000. Yes, it basically shows album, songs and lyrics. Although the Zidoo Music Player scan it and sort it into album properly, the album art and lyrics is pretty hit and miss. I have to go in and edit to the correct one. Note that so far i have only ripped 3 cds and all of which are not the popular artistes.

Maybe the more experienced ones can advise.

Oh..not bad liao..so long got album art will do..it is stored inside the harddisk right? How is the sound quality? :D

Offline wcseow

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 19:31 »
Oh..not bad liao..so long got album art will do..it is stored inside the harddisk right? How is the sound quality? :D

Yes. I had mine stored in the hard disk in the UHD2000.

Lol..i supposed u can drop a note to Peng(econav) and visit his workshop to see and hear it in action.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 20:00 by wcseow »

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 21:43 »

Besides all the points you asked , the UHD2000 have a DAC builtin with XLR output and you can also turn it to a full 2ch playback setup and yet still able to stream to multi location if you need.
On hand there is a full control apps , you can download to your phone , so you can see all the artwork and do the selection , queue or playlist as you wish.
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline wcseow

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 22:37 »
Besides all the points you asked , the UHD2000 have a DAC builtin with XLR output and you can also turn it to a full 2ch playback setup and yet still able to stream to multi location if you need.
On hand there is a full control apps , you can download to your phone , so you can see all the artwork and do the selection , queue or playlist as you wish.

The Zidoo controller app is pretty good. If it can support remote power on via network will make it even.better..😁😁

Now has to use remote to power on the device first.

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 17:02 »
The Zidoo controller app is pretty good. If it can support remote power on via network will make it even.better..

Now has to use remote to power on the device first.
For SI , C4 and RS232 are supported and working fine.
if you want to use your phone and apps to full control your system , you may consider the logitech addon or other IR enable for phone .
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline wcseow

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 17:46 »
For SI , C4 and RS232 are supported and working fine.
if you want to use your phone and apps to full control your system , you may consider the logitech addon or other IR enable for phone .

Yes, now using Broadlink stuff with voice control, if lazy, to power on.

Loving the controller app. Spend almost half a day ripping CDs to it, and then use the app to view and play etc. No need to power on projector.

The artist/album art matching is mostly a miss than hit. I name the folder artist-album which it recognise both.

Reading up more, making most od Stay At Home time. Lol
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 18:22 by wcseow »