Author Topic: Journey resumes - Line source VS Point source  (Read 6532 times)

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Journey resumes - Line source VS Point source
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2020, 10:59 »
Well-said bro. It is indeed a journey as the learning and sharing will never end. I do agree that filters cause the timing to be out. I maybe influenced by you, bass is not about smooth response but timing is key too.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2020, 11:44 »
Well-said bro. It is indeed a journey as the learning and sharing will never end. I do agree that filters cause the timing to be out. I maybe influenced by you, bass is not about smooth response but timing is key too.

Yes u r right bro, FR is just a small part to it. Whilst it’s nice to have a good tonal balance across the frequency range, it’s not the key point. Having a good timing response is way way more critical. Once we have good timing response, we bring down all the peaks in the FR. Lose a bit on the dips is ok. But if the dips are too big, EQ is not the solution. Placement is. If placement is limited, then helmhotz or room treatment is the other way. (Assuming dual subs are used)

The best is to make sure placement is optimal in the sense both are helping each other. This almost always results in one back one front placement diagonal corner. Then both time aligned. Then all speakers time aligned. Then combination of Two aligned. Then u will have the ultimate experience

The new REW is fantastic! It allows for “alignment tool” we can see how it shapes the response when they are combined without measuring. Saved me tons of time. We can also find the best alignment between the two by placement of the cursor at the XO region to find the Best group delay possible. This allows us to maximise the performance of the integration. What a fantastic tool, I’ve donated numerous times to John mulcahy, the author. I’ll donate again for his hard work done that’s saving all of us the time. It’s no Joke, it’s free and it’s fantastic

The best is to look at spectrogram for subwoofers, forget about waterfall or decay charts. Zoom in to spectrogram directly. U can see so many things here. Peak energy times, ringing, standing waves, lotsa things and best of all, much easier to interpret

Hope the above is helpful in your journey integrating your systems

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2020, 20:39 »
My journey couldn’t have been better with you guys. The knowledge I have gained from you and some of the brothers in this forum is invaluable. I must said I have come a long way.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2020, 03:05 »
Bryan...your next quest...heheheh

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/#
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2020, 22:57 »
Bryan...your next quest...heheheh

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/#

Hahaha, done for now on subs and audio stuff. Settled !! All good now. Switching into video mode now with the HD fury. Fantastic piece of accessories for PJ. Sort of like a must have for PJ owners. Superb for HDR

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal