Author Topic: Jap AVR main vol vs dB level  (Read 801 times)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Jap AVR main vol vs dB level
« on: February 13, 2020, 13:30 »
Is there an estimated dB level Vs the avr main volume?

E.g. -10 on AVR is usually 65db typically

I rem reading something on that B4 but can't find it. Some online websites mention that reference level is at main vol 0 on avr and it's tagged to 75db.

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Jap AVR main vol vs dB level
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 14:04 »
My understanding is 0 is tagged to 75db which is reference level.

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 17:16 »
This are just nos.

1) How do a 50w output amp set at 0db produce the same SPL or power vs a 100w output set at same 0db feed to the same speaker ?

2) Speaker sensitivity at 86db/m connected to 50w set at 0db will produce less SPL compare to a pair of speaker with a sensitivity of 90db/m.

3) insertion loss /cable range.

Amps without connected to any speaker dont reproduce any SPL , the dial of db indicator is just a form to indicate the alternation of the actial power output of a given amp, the actual Spl depend on the sensitivity of the connected spk itself , there are more then this affecting the actuall SPL output from a given set of speaker , room reflection/cancellation etc....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 17:36 by econav »
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 18:11 »
I rem reading something on that B4 but can't find it. Some online websites mention that reference level is at main vol 0 on avr and it's tagged to 75db.

I believe so too. When the AVR does it’s calibration thing, it will adjust the internal amp gain such that 0dB maps to either 75dB or 85dB (i’m not 100% sure which spl). Based on where the measurements mic is placed, this factors in room gain, speaker sensitivity, cable losses, internal/external amp differences.

In my Yamaha, i know it uses either white or pink noise for the SPL/gain adjustment. I can see the post measurements gain cut or boost per speaker in the AVR advanced setting webpage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 18:16 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 18:47 »
I believe your are referring to level matched SPLs at listening positions. One uses relative levels , one absolute. I prefer to use relative levels as that’s easy to interprete.

It does make sense that 75db is reference on the absolute scale and 0db is reference on the relative scale. Seems logical since the pink noise settings from the Marantz or Denon is -30dbfs. So 75 +30=105db for mains

That makes sense but I’m not entirely sure

Maybe u can set the avr to 75, then change the settings for volume to relative, see what it shows ? If it shows 0 on relative scale, then rayleh is correct, 0=75db and that’s reference

Offline sevenz

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 21:07 »
If I didn't rem wrongly, 0 on relative scale is 80 on absolute scale...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 21:10 by sevenz »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 18:48 »
Turn to 0db is reference level. It’s measured at 75db iirc. Bro Sevenz, what you want to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 20:36 »
Trying to determine roughly the average dB I'm playing at the usual main vol I am listening to

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 09:21 »
Trying to determine roughly the average dB I'm playing at the usual main vol I am listening to

Read this: https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136/~/relative-and-absolute-volume-ranges

Offline econav

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 18:48 »
Is there an estimated dB level Vs the avr main volume?

E.g. -10 on AVR is usually 65db typically

When your AVR is well calibrated and the output is stable and consistent it should reproduce 75db calibrated on the connected spk on the center channel. ( But so far , i tested and played with Denon 8500 , Marantz 8012 , pioneer Lx 901 all clip , cracking sound or shut down ).

As even Denon hv indicated clearly is mechanical , -10 on the dication is only relative , i believe you do hv a SPL meter on hand, why Not base on that average right ?

Just for your info
The marantz 8012 vs 8500 sounded much softer even both dial at -18.
if you hv a 7012 you are welcome to bring to confirm this .....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 19:05 by econav »
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 12:07 »
Econav has made a very good point. Some avrs probably don’t have 0 as reference due to measurement equipment being used to measure and derive reference.

I Guess he is trying to point out it doesn’t matter, as Long as what you measure at home shows reference at x levels, you are good to go.

If u have a good calibrated UMIK mic and A good calibrated SPL meter from spectrum labs, stick to that to derive your reference levels instead. There may be +-2db variation on reference levels between various Brand’s and model, from avr to avr

Then there is also the difference between level matching and gain matching, and confirming by means of absolute vs relative pink periodic noise ...

That’s a discussion for another day...

For now just crank your avr to 0 on relative scale, level match the speakers to 75db on the spl meter placed at MLP , just use the internal test tones from the Marantz to verify if this is returning 75db on the spl meter c weighting , then u know 0 is now reference

Offline sevenz

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 16:12 »
Thanks bros. Very useful inputs.

Yea understand what econav is saying on the relative element. Just wanted to see if there is an agar agar matrix for the avr main vol levels Vs dB, assuming LCR speakers trim are calibrated to 0

Yes I have an spl meter. For test tones, I've been using the Dolby Atmos 5.2.4 config demo test tone clip to measure the SPL level.

Is this an accurate test clip to use for this purpose? or is there other better clips to use ah

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 09:12 »
The dolby test tones are the best, I use that all the time. Able to send a signal for Atmos as well, A lot of times I save a note, on the reference levels. As I have measured the Denon, ddrc88a, Onkyo, now lyngdorf, all different reference levels , and I always use relative scale, easier for me

Cheers !