Author Topic: NAS for streaming movies and music  (Read 3037 times)

Online InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
Re: NAS for streaming movies and music
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 21:50 »
should you go ahead with your NAS, i would second the idea of installing Roon on your NAS. it's a beautiful music streaming experience that will help you maximise your hardware investment
❤️👍

https://www.qnap.com/solution/roon/en/
https://roononnas.org/en/synology/

Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline FookLai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • survivng with bare system
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 10:22 »
Thanks sigurros, arsene, tsammyc, Audio and InnocentBlood for recommendation, I have second thought on Synology 918+ now after reading all your comments, might give QNAP 873 8GB a shot when I have time and ready to venture into NAS.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:41 by FookLai »

Offline kardtoon

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 11:09 »
I’m a Synology NAS user. Been on their system for many years and also running Docker apps in the NAS.

when you consider what NAS to buy, you might want to get CPUs that supports Intel QuickSync. This features enables HW decode of H.264 and H.265. If you use clients like Plex and need to transcode 4K movie to play on a device that doesn’t support 4K (eg on your phone or tablet), the weaker CPUs will suffer.

Here is a list of Synology NAS and what transcode formats they support in Plex.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc

Plex is a very useful server/client platform for movies/tv series.

Offline FookLai

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 15:36 »
Thanks kardtoon for the tip.

Bro tsammy, the QNAP 473 specification said that in order to do 4k transcoding, it need an additional entry level graphic card, is that the reason?

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 16:32 »
Yes, the Celeron series and the AMD BD series have a built in GPU, but the QNAP 473 uses the ND series AMD CPU, which has no GPU. The onboard GPU on the best Celeron processors are just able to do 4K hardware transcoding. When I was looking around, Celeron NAS didn't have HDMI 2.0 output to do 4K/60Hz. A GPU like a Nvidia 1030 is around S$120 and should be able to handle 4K hardware transcoding and HDMI 2.0. More flexible overall.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 16:57 by tsammyc »

Offline FookLai

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 20:53 »
Just pull the plug to buy qnap 873 from Amazon Sg after spent some times to research on everything. I don't need transcoding for now since I using zidoo to decode.

I have to agree the 2 pcie can be used for 10gb LAN and graphics card expansion in the future is great feature. I wonder can I buy any brand of graphics card and 10gb LAN card or must stick to qnap brand?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 21:48 by FookLai »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 09:47 »
Just pull the plug to buy qnap 873 from Amazon Sg after spent some times to research on everything. I don't need transcoding for now since I using zidoo to decode.

I have to agree the 2 pcie can be used for 10gb LAN and graphics card expansion in the future is great feature. I wonder can I buy any brand of graphics card and 10gb LAN card or must stick to qnap brand?

Congrats on your new purchase. You will enjoy the benefits of NAS - not just streaming but other neat features as well.

Offline FookLai

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 13:25 »
Congrats on your new purchase. You will enjoy the benefits of NAS - not just streaming but other neat features as well.

Thanks bro, you are right, actually the main consideration for me to buy the NAS is not for streaming. I buy it for a dedicated centralise backup for all my files, not just movies or music. Streaming is second purpose and third is potential possibility of accessing files outside my home network (this still not sure whether I can manage to configure qnap for that purpose since I am novice.)

A lot to learn how to use it, hopefully I can achieve what I want to do.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 15:40 »
Thanks bro, you are right, actually the main consideration for me to buy the NAS is not for streaming. I buy it for a dedicated centralise backup for all my files, not just movies or music. Streaming is second purpose and third is potential possibility of accessing files outside my home network (this still not sure whether I can manage to configure qnap for that purpose since I am novice.)

A lot to learn how to use it, hopefully I can achieve what I want to do.
I’m sure u will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 20:48 »
After getting a simple 2-Bay NAS to supplement my notebook’s 500Gb SSD, I found that it works as a great replacement for external HDD for my movies.
A dedicate drive for demo material.
Remote streaming by Plex.
Unlimited cloud drive.
Offsite backups.
Photo backups.

Mostly, I now have the mindset that limited notebook Hdd Space is no longer a concern. I’m considering to go for another 4 or 5 Bay NAS.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline FookLai

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 09:01 »
Hey Jag, you connect the 2 bay NAS to your network or laptop?

For me, I get a 8 bay one for future expansion capabilities, I bought 5 pieces of 10TB right now which will give me 40TB of secure data with redunduncy for movies, music, data files, photo, etc...

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 07:41 »

For me, I get a 8 bay one for future expansion capabilities, I bought 5 pieces of 10TB right now which will give me 40TB of secure data with redunduncy for movies, music, data files, photo, etc...

Network. I intend to get another 4/5-bay soon for streaming and "personal critical data". Relegate the 2-bay solely for storing the same "personal data and photos" from the larger NAS.

I didn't want to rely on 1 NAS for my photos. If my NAS fails (due to circuit board failure), I'm prepared to lose my movies, but not my personal data. Thus, 2 NAS for my personal data.

Imagine if the 8-bay NAS prematurely fails(due to heat/vibration), all data on all drive cages might be lost all at the same time. 

12TB HDD are getting within each now... But yeah, I'm with you on the future expansion. Amazingly, new UHD movies are 50-90GB per movie.

Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 08:20 »

Having an 8 Bay will definitely be great for future expansion.

Will be prudent to create multiple volumes instead of just 1 for the entire 8 bays of HDD.

Offline FookLai

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 17:18 »
Interestingly I have even more queries with Jag and Sigurros shared your views, really good discussion for benefit of all.

1) If my QNAP 873 spoilt in future, but HDD intact, can I get another QNAP 8 bay, put back the HDD inside and get back my data?

2) Why creating more Volumes will help instead of creating a single volume?

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2020, 18:09 »
Interestingly I have even more queries with Jag and Sigurros shared your views, really good discussion for benefit of all.

1) If my QNAP 873 spoilt in future, but HDD intact, can I get another QNAP 8 bay, put back the HDD inside and get back my data?

2) Why creating more Volumes will help instead of creating a single volume?

Basically you can have option of creating multiple storage pools.

Within it you can create multiple volumes.

Thus it really depends on your usage.

Besides media, am also using thE NAS for TM as well as surveillance,thus I prefer to have them separated in separate volumes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 18:22 by sigurros »