Author Topic: NAS for streaming movies and music  (Read 4818 times)

Offline FookLai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • survivng with bare system
NAS for streaming movies and music
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:41 »
bro, late to the games, I am looking to build a NAS to stream movies and music. I have been using external harddisk to play movies with my Zidoo.

My setup as follow:

1) My desktop PC in my study room is wirelessly connected to Netgear Orbi mesh wifi.
2) My HT is in dedicated HT room wirelessly connect to my Orbi satelite unit. (This is where Zidoo is)
3) I have a second setup in living room which I like to play music via streaming as well. (I plan to buy bluesound node 2i for streaming spotify, BT music and NAS music files)

Now looking to get a NAS where I can connect to my Orbi main unit then
a) Copy UHD/Bluray iso and music files from my desktop PC to NAS wirelessly.
b) Zidoo to play movies and musics in HT room
C) Bluesound to play music files in living room. 

Now the most important question is what is the NAS you guys would recommend to buy that would not burn a hole yet can fit this purpose?

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
Re: NAS for streaming movies and music
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:47 »
 :) following your thread. i myself late bloomer in this. i have always bought CDs and BR discs. guess its time.
ProJect Q.

Offline sigurros

• "What we think, we become"
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 12:13 »
Either get Synology or QNAP.

Been using Synology for years and has been great.

The next question will be the amount of storage you need depending how much media you have or gonna have in the future. But remember, a NAS is not a backup solution.

Since you using Zidoo, thus the NAS need not do all the decoding etc.

You can use this calculator

https://www.synology.com/en-sg/support/RAID_calculator

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:16 by sigurros »

Offline FookLai

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 13:59 »
Either get Synology or QNAP.

Been using Synology for years and has been great.

The next question will be the amount of storage you need depending how much media you have or gonna have in the future. But remember, a NAS is not a backup solution.

Since you using Zidoo, thus the NAS need not do all the decoding etc.

You can use this calculator

https://www.synology.com/en-sg/support/RAID_calculator

I am thinking to get a Synology too but unsure how should I pick a model. Beside the storage size, what else to look at for connection with my desktop and Zidoo? What kind of software to use in Zidoo? I heard some people using Plex?

Offline sigurros

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 14:15 »
I am thinking to get a Synology too but unsure how should I pick a model. Beside the storage size, what else to look at for connection with my desktop and Zidoo? What kind of software to use in Zidoo? I heard some people using Plex?

Synology itself does have a Plex media server app with their DSM.

Not too worry so much.

Most important is to calculate the storage you need for now and in the future.

I'm running a NAS which allows me to add expansion module like the DX models for future expansion.

The software used by Synology, DSM, is very user friendly.

For zidoo, with their home theatre app, just need to either samba/NFS, the zidoo will detect the media files from the folders in the NAS.

I don't use plex at all for zidoo but Plex is good for smart tv or mobile devices.

Even for Apple TV, i use infuse.

Further, there are many bros here willing to assist if you need. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 14:18 by sigurros »

Offline FookLai

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 14:27 »
Do you mean that any Synology NAS model will do the job just fine? Even very old model 2 bay on sale at second hand also can do the job just fine?

Offline arsene

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 14:35 »
For Synology, better to get the + models.  They are faster.

Offline sigurros

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 15:15 »
Do you mean that any Synology NAS model will do the job just fine? Even very old model 2 bay on sale at second hand also can do the job just fine?

If money not the issue, as bro arsene mentioned, get a + model for better specifications.

Of course, you can get a 2nd hand model, but depends on the specs and the risks of it being 2nd hand.

I'm using a 4 years old model DS1515+. This model came with 2GB ram which i upgraded to 8GB myself. No issue so far.

but i started from a 2 bay to a 4 bay then to this 5 bay with the DX213.

So if depends on your consumption and requirements.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/nas_selector

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 15:22 by sigurros »

Offline rayleh

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 16:49 »
Noob question: why can't we connect a HDD to the home router and share media files with DLNA devices?

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 16:54 »
Most NAS will fit your bill. Qnap & Synology are the most reliable. I have at a QNAP TS453Be, which has a Celeron processor and a 10 Gbit Ethernet support, which is a few years old. In the past Synology software was a bit more reliable and easy to use than QNAP, but QNAP has caught up and there is little difference between them. Generally, I've found QNAP to be cheaper, and there are very good prices on amazon.sg. If you a a Prime member ($2.99 per month), there is free shipping to Singapore. If you are running music off your server, you might want to look at running Roon on your NAS, which works well with the Bluesound Node 2i. Roon requires a fairly powerful processor in the NAS, which normally means an expensive NAS, but the QNAP TS-473 is a relatively inexpensive NAS that supports Roon fully with a powerful AMD R Series Quad Core processor, yet is fairly inexpensive. The other nice thing about the TS-473 is that it has two PCIE expansion slots that give you flexibility for the future. For example, you can put in a 10 gigabit LAN card or future high speed WiFi cards. You can even put in a Nvidia GEForce 1030 card and connect it directly to your display with full 4K transcoding support. A powerful processor and expansion slots means a long lifetime for the NAS possibly into 8K and beyond.

https://www.amazon.sg/QNAP-TS-473-4G-US-IP-SAN-Quad-core-10G-Ready/dp/B07BMYKYKJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=qnap+ts-473&qid=1581496680&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Offline FookLai

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 17:02 »
Most NAS will fit your bill. Qnap & Synology are the most reliable. I have at a QNAP TS453Be, which has a Celeron processor and a 10 Gbit Ethernet support, which is a few years old. In the past Synology software was a bit more reliable and easy to use than QNAP, but QNAP has caught up and there is little difference between them. Generally, I've found QNAP to be cheaper, and there are very good prices on amazon.sg. If you a a Prime member ($2.99 per month), there is free shipping to Singapore. If you are running music off your server, you might want to look at running Roon on your NAS, which works well with the Bluesound Node 2i. Roon requires a fairly powerful processor in the NAS, which normally means an expensive NAS, but the QNAP TS-473 is a relatively inexpensive NAS that supports Roon fully with a powerful AMD R Series Quad Core processor, yet is fairly inexpensive. The other nice thing about the TS-473 is that it has two PCIE expansion slots that give you flexibility for the future. For example, you can put in a 10 gigabit LAN card or future high speed WiFi cards. You can even put in a Nvidia GEForce 1030 card and connect it directly to your display with full 4K transcoding support. A powerful processor and expansion slots means a long lifetime for the NAS possibly into 8K and beyond.

https://www.amazon.sg/QNAP-TS-473-4G-US-IP-SAN-Quad-core-10G-Ready/dp/B07BMYKYKJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=qnap+ts-473&qid=1581496680&s=gateway&sr=8-1

bro, I just narrow down to Synology DiskStation DS918+ which has quad core 1.5Ghz and 4GB ram. It looks fairly similar to Qnap TS-473 except that the CPU clock is lower and there seems to have no PCIe slot for expansion later.

I wonder in what does these translate into real world difference. 

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 17:03 »
Noob question: why can't we connect a HDD to the home router and share media files with DLNA devices?

You can, but performance is terrible compared to a NAS, so its impossible for example to stream 4K movies smoothly. Even 1080p may stutter if the NAS gets busy. The Router software for handling a HDD is also quite primitive, hence you constantly have glitches such as corrupted drives, and even intruders hacking into your NAS drive.

In comparison, the NAS have multiple complex backup and restore options as well has hardware redundancy. More importantly they are quite secure with constant security updates to ensure the hackers stay out. My QNAP implements 2FA for logins using Google Authenticate. Some NAS support 10 gigabit ethernet connections, which are crucial say for editing 4K movies on the NAS. The iPhone and Android apps for the NAS are miles more sophisticated and secure compared to the router apps and you can control and monitor almost every aspect of your NAS from your mobile device. An extremely good experience, especially with QNAP and Synology.

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 17:16 »
bro, I just narrow down to Synology DiskStation DS918+ which has quad core 1.5Ghz and 4GB ram. It looks fairly similar to Qnap TS-473 except that the CPU clock is lower and there seems to have no PCIe slot for expansion later.

I wonder in what does these translate into real world difference. 

That's a fine NAS. However, it has a Celeron J3455 processor, which is a couple of years old. It's more than fast enough to support everything you want, but its a bit slow for running Roon Core, which requires an i3 for best performance (like the AMD R series). I know because my current QNAP has the same processor as the 918+. Roon will run, but indexing will be slow for a large database.

https://www.qnap.com/solution/roon/en/
https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

As for expansion slots, its always nice to have the option of going to faster LAN or Wifi in the future for a NAS. Otherwise you can use the slots for caching the NAS using M2 SSD. There may be a point in the not so distant future that everyone goes 10 gbits/sec and if you have a NAS that has no expansion slots, it becomes a bottleneck in your network

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 18:38 »
This is what happened when you have 10Gb ethernet between your NAS and PC.

I recommend buying 8-bay NAS, make sure it comes with 10Gb ethernet port or you may buy a 10Gb card to fill up the PCIe slot (mostly available for 8-bay models)   I prefer QNAP than Synology because it is easier and more reliable to setup NAS for remote access. 

The more drives, the faster will be your NAS.

(Audio)

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Enjoy HT Fully! :)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 21:23 »
This is what happened when you have 10Gb ethernet between your NAS and PC.

I recommend buying 8-bay NAS, make sure it comes with 10Gb ethernet port or you may buy a 10Gb card to fill up the PCIe slot (mostly available for 8-bay models)   I prefer QNAP than Synology because it is easier and more reliable to setup NAS for remote access. 

The more drives, the faster will be your NAS.

(Audio)

Many thanks guys. good sharing. Been looking out to invest in a NAS too.

Bro Not sure if model HS-453DX is recommended for movies storage and playback?

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/hs-453dx

Thanks so much.
100% HT Lover  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR   Source: Oppo UDP-203 & Zidoo Z9S
Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 Channel l Denon AVR-X4400H Pre-out @7.6.4
M&K Sound LCR950 THX Select2 Series  miniDSP 2x4 HD @WI-DG
Sub 1\2: Dual Rythmik FV18s  Sub 3\4: Dual Sunfire True Sub EQ
Sub 5: Hsu Research MBM-12 MK2 (nearfield) Sub 6 : SVS PB12-Plus/2

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 21:50 »
should you go ahead with your NAS, i would second the idea of installing Roon on your NAS. it's a beautiful music streaming experience that will help you maximise your hardware investment
❤️👍

https://www.qnap.com/solution/roon/en/
https://roononnas.org/en/synology/

Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline FookLai

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 10:22 »
Thanks sigurros, arsene, tsammyc, Audio and InnocentBlood for recommendation, I have second thought on Synology 918+ now after reading all your comments, might give QNAP 873 8GB a shot when I have time and ready to venture into NAS.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:41 by FookLai »

Offline kardtoon

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 11:09 »
I’m a Synology NAS user. Been on their system for many years and also running Docker apps in the NAS.

when you consider what NAS to buy, you might want to get CPUs that supports Intel QuickSync. This features enables HW decode of H.264 and H.265. If you use clients like Plex and need to transcode 4K movie to play on a device that doesn’t support 4K (eg on your phone or tablet), the weaker CPUs will suffer.

Here is a list of Synology NAS and what transcode formats they support in Plex.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc

Plex is a very useful server/client platform for movies/tv series.

Offline FookLai

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 15:36 »
Thanks kardtoon for the tip.

Bro tsammy, the QNAP 473 specification said that in order to do 4k transcoding, it need an additional entry level graphic card, is that the reason?

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 16:32 »
Yes, the Celeron series and the AMD BD series have a built in GPU, but the QNAP 473 uses the ND series AMD CPU, which has no GPU. The onboard GPU on the best Celeron processors are just able to do 4K hardware transcoding. When I was looking around, Celeron NAS didn't have HDMI 2.0 output to do 4K/60Hz. A GPU like a Nvidia 1030 is around S$120 and should be able to handle 4K hardware transcoding and HDMI 2.0. More flexible overall.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 16:57 by tsammyc »

Offline FookLai

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 20:53 »
Just pull the plug to buy qnap 873 from Amazon Sg after spent some times to research on everything. I don't need transcoding for now since I using zidoo to decode.

I have to agree the 2 pcie can be used for 10gb LAN and graphics card expansion in the future is great feature. I wonder can I buy any brand of graphics card and 10gb LAN card or must stick to qnap brand?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 21:48 by FookLai »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 09:47 »
Just pull the plug to buy qnap 873 from Amazon Sg after spent some times to research on everything. I don't need transcoding for now since I using zidoo to decode.

I have to agree the 2 pcie can be used for 10gb LAN and graphics card expansion in the future is great feature. I wonder can I buy any brand of graphics card and 10gb LAN card or must stick to qnap brand?

Congrats on your new purchase. You will enjoy the benefits of NAS - not just streaming but other neat features as well.

Offline FookLai

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 13:25 »
Congrats on your new purchase. You will enjoy the benefits of NAS - not just streaming but other neat features as well.

Thanks bro, you are right, actually the main consideration for me to buy the NAS is not for streaming. I buy it for a dedicated centralise backup for all my files, not just movies or music. Streaming is second purpose and third is potential possibility of accessing files outside my home network (this still not sure whether I can manage to configure qnap for that purpose since I am novice.)

A lot to learn how to use it, hopefully I can achieve what I want to do.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 15:40 »
Thanks bro, you are right, actually the main consideration for me to buy the NAS is not for streaming. I buy it for a dedicated centralise backup for all my files, not just movies or music. Streaming is second purpose and third is potential possibility of accessing files outside my home network (this still not sure whether I can manage to configure qnap for that purpose since I am novice.)

A lot to learn how to use it, hopefully I can achieve what I want to do.
I’m sure u will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 20:48 »
After getting a simple 2-Bay NAS to supplement my notebook’s 500Gb SSD, I found that it works as a great replacement for external HDD for my movies.
A dedicate drive for demo material.
Remote streaming by Plex.
Unlimited cloud drive.
Offsite backups.
Photo backups.

Mostly, I now have the mindset that limited notebook Hdd Space is no longer a concern. I’m considering to go for another 4 or 5 Bay NAS.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline FookLai

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 09:01 »
Hey Jag, you connect the 2 bay NAS to your network or laptop?

For me, I get a 8 bay one for future expansion capabilities, I bought 5 pieces of 10TB right now which will give me 40TB of secure data with redunduncy for movies, music, data files, photo, etc...

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 07:41 »

For me, I get a 8 bay one for future expansion capabilities, I bought 5 pieces of 10TB right now which will give me 40TB of secure data with redunduncy for movies, music, data files, photo, etc...

Network. I intend to get another 4/5-bay soon for streaming and "personal critical data". Relegate the 2-bay solely for storing the same "personal data and photos" from the larger NAS.

I didn't want to rely on 1 NAS for my photos. If my NAS fails (due to circuit board failure), I'm prepared to lose my movies, but not my personal data. Thus, 2 NAS for my personal data.

Imagine if the 8-bay NAS prematurely fails(due to heat/vibration), all data on all drive cages might be lost all at the same time. 

12TB HDD are getting within each now... But yeah, I'm with you on the future expansion. Amazingly, new UHD movies are 50-90GB per movie.

ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)

Offline sigurros

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 08:20 »

Having an 8 Bay will definitely be great for future expansion.

Will be prudent to create multiple volumes instead of just 1 for the entire 8 bays of HDD.

Offline FookLai

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 17:18 »
Interestingly I have even more queries with Jag and Sigurros shared your views, really good discussion for benefit of all.

1) If my QNAP 873 spoilt in future, but HDD intact, can I get another QNAP 8 bay, put back the HDD inside and get back my data?

2) Why creating more Volumes will help instead of creating a single volume?

Offline sigurros

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2020, 18:09 »
Interestingly I have even more queries with Jag and Sigurros shared your views, really good discussion for benefit of all.

1) If my QNAP 873 spoilt in future, but HDD intact, can I get another QNAP 8 bay, put back the HDD inside and get back my data?

Basically you can have option of creating multiple storage pools.

Within it you can create multiple volumes.

Thus it really depends on your usage.

Besides media, am also using thE NAS for TM as well as surveillance,thus I prefer to have them separated in separate volumes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 18:22 by sigurros »

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2020, 21:10 »

I'm not a NAS expert. There are many more NAS experts than me here. But here's what I feel:

1) If the NAS (say PSU or the NAS motherboard) goes kaput, the NAS companies will claim that the future models will be downward compatible with older NAS models. How true that is anybody's guess. I don't have faith in anybody's promises when it comes to my family's valuable photos and docs. Technically, yes you can put the intact HDDs into a new 873. In reality, when a NAS is faulty, there is a finite chance that the HDD circuits were also damaged beyond repair.

2) I have 1 volume per disk.

That said, I'm sure there are better ways than my practise...

Offline mushroom

• I'm a mushroom!
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 12:34 »
1) If the NAS (say PSU or the NAS motherboard) goes kaput, the NAS companies will claim that the future models will be downward compatible with older NAS models. How true that is anybody's guess. I don't have faith in anybody's promises when it comes to my family's valuable photos and docs. Technically, yes you can put the intact HDDs into a new 873. In reality, when a NAS is faulty, there is a finite chance that the HDD circuits were also damaged beyond repair.

This underscores what I feel is the biggest risk in using such NAS. If the motherboard goes kaput and the NAS company has moved on, the entire array is at risk. You can't even restore your data due to the way actual RAID implementation can differ between companies.

Instead, I use a server PC and a 'RAID' software called 'unraid' which essentially treats the array as "just a bunch of discs" - JBOD. Each disk in the array can be a different size, and they can be removed and accessed individually in a PC.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 12:42 »
Instead, I use a server PC and a 'RAID' software called 'unraid' which essentially treats the array as "just a bunch of discs" - JBOD. Each disk in the array can be a different size, and they can be removed and accessed individually in a PC.

JBOD
Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline FookLai

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 14:57 »
This underscores what I feel is the biggest risk in using such NAS. If the motherboard goes kaput and the NAS company has moved on, the entire array is at risk. You can't even restore your data due to the way actual RAID implementation can differ between companies.

So is it considered RAID with redundancy? What happened if any of the disc spoilt? Can the data be auto recover once you replace the spoilt docs?

Offline wcseow

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 22:02 »
Hi.
If i may ask, any reason for not considering Asustor?

I am reading up on the NAS, and similarly will be using Zidoo or Zappiti media players

Thanks

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 22:21 »
I have never encountered any issues to migrate the hard disks from old NAS to new NAS so long one stick to same number bays and brand via direct swap. Since 2007 till date, only my 4 bays NAS failed once after 8 years due to PSU failure. All I did is put the hard disks in accordance to the respective slot as is and my NAS is back online. That is my experience with Synology so I will not speak the same for Qnap.

If one want to do JBOD via computer, the risk is there too, once the server is down, one need to factor in installation, troubleshooting etc. A standalone NAS will excuse one who is not savy in IT and recover at ease.

For precious data stored in NAS, DO RAID 10 under 4 hard disks, then follow by external backup or cloud backup like AWS. The key reason for NAS is one is able to access/download/upload files easily anywhere, shared files with family members at easily. At the same time, playback video and music con-currently via standalone app.

Offline mushroom

• I'm a mushroom!
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 09:21 »
So is it considered RAID with redundancy? What happened if any of the disc spoilt? Can the data be auto recover once you replace the spoilt docs?
You can configure for one or two parity discs, so it has similar redundancy protection. If any of the disc is spoilt, same as any RAID. Replace and it would rebuild.

It supports standard PC components (software and hardware), so I can run 10Gbe, run a Roon server, torrent, amongst many other things on the same PC.

It does require more IT knowledge, so your mileage would vary.

Offline Sunblock

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 09:27 »
I have never encountered any issues to migrate the hard disks from old NAS to new NAS so long one stick to same number bays and brand via direct swap. Since 2007 till date, only my 4 bays NAS failed once after 8 years due to PSU failure. All I did is put the hard disks in accordance to the respective slot as is and my NAS is back online. That is my experience with Synology so I will not speak the same for Qnap.

+1

My first NAS is the Synology DS1010+ and is still in perfect working condition with 6 monthly maintenance schedule till to-date. The only problem encountered are 3 HDD failures which was replaced without any loss of data. All HD media migrated to DS1515+ with DX511 five years ago.

Currently the DS1010+ is dedicated solely for CCTV recording, streaming music and backup for documents (photos, etc) from iMac and Windows PC due to the slower processor.

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 23:10 »
Yup, on top of that, so long both NAS are on same OS version, generally is very safe as per Synology. HDD failures are unavoidable be it hosted in NAS or desktop. From my experience, 7200rpm yields a better longevity than 5400rpm; likewise enterprise drives if one has the budget. Ditto re the migration, so much easier to migrate via Rsync, so long you point it to the correct storage pool, it is very straight forward. For one with multiple NAS at home, can even allocate a small part of the storage pool to backup precious data before moving to external/cloud backup.

Save the hassle over direct drag and drop transfer as migration - it is a painful manual process. Also, uplift the stress load of the desktop and allows one to use the system as ease. Avoid kid mistakenly cancel the process too! Nowadays, NAS has support of 10Gbe so it can blends into the home IT infrastructure easily assuming one has bumped up router and switch with 10Gbe respectively.

Offline FookLai

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 22:38 »
Thanks for all the help so far.

With the current situation of Covi-19, I finally has chance to sit down and setup the new QNAP TS-873 I got it off Amazon Sg last month.

I bought 4 WD Red 10TB on top of the Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10TB I bought it last year, with RAID 5 setup I am getting 40TB of storage right now. I guess it is a bad idea to mix two different brand/models HDD but I happen to come across a deal to get 4 brand new WD Red 10TB at discounted price so I bite the bullet.

First test was to make sure my HT room can stream UHD without any lag. I used Netgear Orbi mesh network router, one main unit match with one satellite unit. My QNAP directly connecting to my main unit with LAN cable while my HT room Zidoo Z9S originally connect to the satellite unit via WIFI. Initial test with Star War Force Awaken, it was fine, streaming not lag but later on test with Shazam which has very high bit rate, unfortunately the lag come in. Eventually I had to move Orbi satellite into HT room and use cable direct connect then resolve the issue. Tested all UHD play without any lag, very happy but I have to sacrifice my house other area network coverage to achieve this, so I need to consider to add one more Orbi satellite in the future.

Next test out my Blusound streaming with my music library, it work flawlessly also and to my surprised, the loseless ripped from CD sound quality is much better than the spotify premium that I have been using all this while before streaming from my QNAP library.

All in all, very very happy with the purchase of my QNAP TS-873 NAS. It give me a peace of mind, knowing any breakdown of a single harddisk wont have an impact on my precious data. I used it to backup my work, document, camera photos as well.

Much work still have to do next:

1) To setup cloud access so that in future I can access my NAS content outside of my home network.

2) So far I am very happy with direct streaming of my music library. I do not understand what other benefit of Roon will bring, although my QNAP and Blusound both support it. Therefore, still haven't make up my mind to setup Roon for music streaming or not.

3) To add a fan for my QNAP 873 because I put it in a cabinet without ideal ventilation, so now I have to turn the fan power to quite high in order to cool down the CPU and HDD.

4) I still need one more 10TB of HDD to consolidate all my movies and music collections. I have 6 external HDD now so probably will keep 2 for now until I get another 10TB and sell the rest. Anyone interested in getting external HDD with full loads of UHD movies or demo materials or korean drama can look out in planet sales later after Covi-19 CB lifted.

5) I have huge movies collections so now Zidoo HomeTheater showing many pages although I have made the icons smaller. I still need to see how can I organize it better. Say 4k UHD, Demo materials, Drama, TV show, normal bluray, etc. So far I see Zidoo can do some filtering but I hope I can categorize the collections myself. In this area I played awhile until now I havent found good solution. Zidoo also failed to recognize some of the files I have, say the Mocking Jay part 1 and part 2, the part 2 is mistaken as part 1 and the actual part 1 never show. I still need to figure out how to improve Zidoo accuracy on recognizing the movie titles.

All in all, still very happy as main objectives of data backup, streaming movies and musics have already achieved. The rest are good to have, much appreciated if any of you has advice on above 5 points.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 23:31 by FookLai »

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 16:50 »
Will address just 1) and 2). Setting up cloud access is quite easy with the QNAP apps on my iPhone. I use QManager, QFile an Vmobile. QManager is to maintain, monitor the NAS e.g., observe hacking attacks, which come from time to time. I use QFile to browse files, but its video playing abilities are somewhat limited, so for playing media, I use NPlayer, which works well with QNAP. Finally, I use Vmobile to control the various internet cameras in my house, which record to the QNAP NAS. Playback software is very good. My main advice is to make sure you set up 2FA when you do remote access. I use the Google Authenticate app and I think everything is very secure.

2) Since you are using Bluesound in a single room, there is no real need for Roon, since Bluesound's app is pretty good and well organized. Roon is if you want control over multiroom listening with more control with a variety of different streamers and DAC. You have MQA with Bluesound as well as Amazon UHD music support, so Roon doesn't bring that much to the table. But if you start putting music all over the house with a bunch of different equipment then at least you know that Roon runs on the NAS. Unfortunately price of Roon has also risen by USD200

Offline FookLai

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2020, 14:38 »
Thanks tsammyc, I managed to setup the cloud access and able to use QManager as well as QFile too on my S10. Shall take your advice to setup the 2FA too, will try it out later.

Yes, guess no need for me at this moment to use Ron.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal