Author Topic: Is it okay to get a different model centre channel but same brand?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Amon86

• Trade Count: (0)
difficult to decide whether i should go for a focal kanta centre channel same as my L/R or a sopra centre channel price differences is few hundred...

Offline chaozhoi

difficult to decide whether i should go for a focal kanta centre channel same as my L/R or a sopra centre channel price differences is few hundred...
I am using diff range from same brand. Sounds ok to me although getting something in the same range is in the wishlist

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
It is no brainer to go for same series of the centre channel.

Offline Amon86

It is no brainer to go for same series of the centre channel.

I see....thought if few hundred dollars difference going for the higher range model will be better....sopra does came with extra mid driver below and using w cones than kanta's flax

Offline Amon86

I am using diff range from same brand. Sounds ok to me although getting something in the same range is in the wishlist

I see....ya i still using my old kef R as centre for movies is okay but thought will be better to change it to same brand so watching concerts will be better

Offline chaozhoi

I see....ya i still using my old kef R as centre for movies is okay but thought will be better to change it to same brand so watching concerts will be better
I will go for the sopra series if I am in ur shoes. Who knows if u decide to upgrade ur Kanta to Sopra or Utopia. And for me center channel and subwoofer are most impt for HT setup, ok for these 2 to outperform the rest.

Online Tiktokape

I see....thought if few hundred dollars difference going for the higher range model will be better....sopra does came with extra mid driver below and using w cones than kanta's flax
It is the coherency and midrange from front speakers that one must take note, very noticeable when the speakers get more resolving.

Online Tiktokape

I will go for the sopra series if I am in ur shoes. Who knows if u decide to upgrade ur Kanta to Sopra or Utopia. And for me center channel and subwoofer are most impt for HT setup, ok for these 2 to outperform the rest.

That is why I dont really suggest to one to go for hifi speakers and double up as HT speakers. The moment one has upgraded on LR speakers, the centre comes in mind.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
haha. But imagine hifi L/R speakers double up as well for HT of the same series with matching Center... awesome right... Boom.  ;D
now if i can find back .......  ;D
ProJect Q.

Online Tiktokape

haha. But imagine hifi L/R speakers double up as well for HT of the same series for Center... awesome... Boom.  ;D
now if i can find back .......  ;D
More money to be spent on driving the centre speaker  ;D ;D ;D

Offline DJQ

Re: Is it okay to get a different model centre channel but same brand?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 15:05 »
heheh, not everything happens overnight. part of the journey.  :) bit by bit... that's the fun part.
ProJect Q.

Offline Amon86

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 15:07 »
That is why I dont really suggest to one to go for hifi speakers and double up as HT speakers. The moment one has upgraded on LR speakers, the centre comes in mind.

Lol for stereo listening using XLR i love the kantas when it comes to concerts using 5.1 or 7.1....centre channel comes to my mind if my centre channel could match up with my fronts in terms of the resolving details, imagining and speed

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 15:12 »
Lol for stereo listening using XLR i love the kantas when it comes to concerts using 5.1 or 7.1....centre channel comes to my mind if my centre channel could match up with my fronts in terms of the resolving details, imagining and speed
Sorry for side track. Does Kanta sounds bright? I find Utopia too bright after listening to some but read online that Kanta and Sopra actually sounds more laid back and less harsh.

Offline Amon86

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 15:15 »
heheh, not everything happens overnight. part of the journey.  :) bit by bit... that's the fun part.

No wonder there's no end to this.....as my friend say to me.....what's your next move on your setup he ask me that day....hmmm maybe i change my centre channel to same model to match up? then he say once you got your centre might upgrade change your amp to a better one and using current amp to drive your centre.......wa jiatlat....

Offline Amon86

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 15:20 »
Sorry for side track. Does Kanta sounds bright? I find Utopia too bright after listening to some but read online that Kanta and Sopra actually sounds more laid back and less harsh.

Is bright a lot brighter than my previous KEF R700, had a dynaudio sp40,PMC twenty5 21 also brighter than those....the kanta's bass is better i off my JL audio fathom sub my friend say quite impressive the bass than my previous KEF R700 those need sub to sound nice....anyways i love bright sounding....heard that the brightness may tone down after 300 hours
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 15:23 by Amon86 »

Online Tiktokape

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 15:48 »
When I think about your matching centre, and matching amp....  :-X

I dont like to mix music and Ht system together due noise churning out from HT  ;D

Offline Amon86

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 16:01 »
I dont like to mix music and Ht system together due noise churning out from HT  ;D

Had a lot of concert blurays with 5.1 and 7.1 so it kinda of add the feels when listening....some multi-channels from disc does did a great job not all....

Offline DJQ

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 17:07 »

Still Thats the fun part too. we have so many ways to do it. its what keeps us all here engaged. Care and share
now that you mentioned. i should get matching stereo amp for surrounds as well?. haha siao liao.
ProJect Q.

Offline DJQ

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 17:12 »
No wonder there's no end to this.....as my friend say to me.....what's your next move on your setup he ask me that day....hmmm maybe i change my centre channel to same model to match up? then he say once you got your centre might upgrade change your amp to a better one and using current amp to drive your centre.......wa jiatlat....

yup that's the way it IS. just have to do it at your own comfortable pace. Enjoy Both HT and Hifi at the same time.
i am more envious of those who have 2 different rooms. 1 HT and 1 Hifi. what bro tiktokape did was another way i did not thought of.
ProJect Q.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 19:21 »
It is the coherency and midrange from front speakers that one must take note, very noticeable when the speakers get more resolving.

+1, has to be the same, don’t sacrifice on this, the same findings I had on coherence. Once u rojak, it takes away that coherence

Ok to rojak for Atmos, but front 3 strict no no...

Definitely don’t rojak the subs as well, one ported one seal or different Brand’s Etc, that’s even worse, very challenging

U won’t be able to tell until u AB it.

The key problem lies in blending of the mains with the sub, the more the variation, the more complex it gets, the more timing and phase issues u need to deal with

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 20:23 »

+1, has to be the same, don’t sacrifice on this, the same findings I had on coherence. Once u rojak, it takes away that coherence

Ok to rojak for Atmos, but front 3 strict no no...

Definitely don’t rojak the subs as well, one ported one seal or different Brand’s Etc, that’s even worse, very challenging

+1 too on that the LCR coherence is very vital. I used different timbre centre last time from LR speakers.

But after switching to same timbre LCR, it made such a big difference and there was no turning back. Your LCR speaker-to-speaker panning, frontal stage, overall frontal dialogue and immersion will be up another level.

If you can have your surrounds same timbre too as LCR, it wld be great too but not as significant as internal between LCR.

ATMOS still can be different timbre still not so critical.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 20:44 »

I feel having a good centre and timbre matching with LR is a critical piece for your LCR panning, frontal stage, immersion in HT.

In terms of HT gear (placement and calibration aside), I would rate this as one of the HIGHEST priority items, besides having multiple (identical) subs with a house curve implemented on the subs; as well as a good quality AVR. =)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 20:46 by sevenz »

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 21:13 »
Me thinks 70%-90% of movie audio content goes to the LCR. I’d highly recommend LCR to stay with same brand & same model family.

Sometimes it pays to wait for the matching C to appear in the pre-loved market. In the meantime, use phantom C as workaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline Amon86

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 22:22 »
Me thinks 70%-90% of movie audio content goes to the LCR. I’d highly recommend LCR to stay with same brand & same model family.

Sometimes it pays to wait for the matching C to appear in the pre-loved market. In the meantime, use phantom C as workaround.

I see....i buying new as sopra centre channel price is not a thousand dollars difference from kanta so thought maybe getting a higher end model will it really matter in the overall sound........i also know that sopra has w cones instead of flax and might be harder to drive
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 22:24 by Amon86 »

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 08:59 »

+1, that’s a good suggestion, phantom centre will work as well. If done correctly

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 09:03 »
Will AVR audyssey still work if it doesn't detect a center channel?

Offline rayleh

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 10:21 »
Will AVR audyssey still work if it doesn't detect a center channel?

Audyssey will ask you if you are using CC before running the EQ.

Offline LWCM

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 11:40 »
I do find there is more coherence using the same brand. But my centre is higher range compared to LR. I find I get more bang upgrading centre than LR. Of course if money no object upgrade all. But usually doesnt go that way haha.

How do you share the LR speakers with 2 channel hifi?  I find it troublesome to plug and unplug speakers from different amps, so I gave up.

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 12:04 »
I do find there is more coherence using the same brand. But my centre is higher range compared to LR. I find I get more bang upgrading centre than LR. Of course if money no object upgrade all. But usually doesnt go that way haha.

How do you share the LR speakers with 2 channel hifi?  I find it troublesome to plug and unplug speakers from different amps, so I gave up.
For my case, my preamp has HT Bypass. So AVR is one of the inputs of the preamp together with other stuff like CD player and DAC

Offline Amon86

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 12:24 »

I see....my LR is connected another integrated amp's (Home Theatre input) from my AVR's (pre-out) , the integrated amp was also connected to my 205 xlr out so i wanna listen to stereo i go select BAL from my amp....if i wan movies i will select (HE) let my AVR do it's job

May i ask what brand you using? is using a higher range centre than L/R sounds weird or it blends in nicely think i gonna go do some demo to decide.....buying a higher model centre i also scare i will change my L/R to match up my centre which is scary even though the pricing wise is not a huge gap......think is a trick to make you upgrade 

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 12:37 »
I see....my LR is connected another integrated amp's (Home Theatre input) from my AVR's (pre-out) , the integrated amp was also connected to my 205 xlr out so i wanna listen to stereo i go select BAL from my amp....if i wan movies i will select (HE) let my AVR do it's job

May i ask what brand you using? is using a higher range centre than L/R sounds weird or it blends in nicely think i gonna go do some demo to decide.....buying a higher model centre i also scare i will change my L/R to match up my centre which is scary even though the pricing wise is not a huge gap......think is a trick to make you upgrade
Not able to do home trial for ur case? Brand new if can home trial will help I decide a lot better. For my case my center is a lot lower range of the same brand with my LR :(

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2020, 15:04 »
The centre carries 80% of the load.. not the LCR
Try turning off your L and R and see then turn off the centre channel to see how it feels
So buy the best centre you can.
Sure there are other means but a good centre matters
TS you can come listen and find out why I use the biggest and best centre of the Dynaudio range
It really sounds better and you won’t regret it
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2020, 15:09 »
The centre carries 80% of the load.. not the LCR
Try turning off your L and R and see then turn off the centre channel to see how it feels
So buy the best centre you can.
Sure there are other means but a good centre matters
TS you can come listen and find out why I use the biggest and best centre of the Dynaudio range
It really sounds better and you won’t regret it
If I'm not wrong I think dynaudio uses similar materials for their speakers. So likely sonic signature might also be similar. Mine although diff range but all using kevlar so difference might not be too huge.. but Kanta is using Flax and Sopra using W cone (correct me if I'm wrong), sonic signature should be quite different

Offline Amon86

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 15:29 »
I had found out that Sopra centre channel is using same tech as Electra just the look change to sopra only the Sopra speaker L/R range were design different from the Electra

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2020, 15:36 »
I had found out that Sopra centre channel is using same tech as Electra just the look change to sopra only the Sopra speaker L/R range were design different from the Electra
Electra also using W cone. Material also diff from your Kanta

Offline Amon86

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 15:40 »
Ya i know if is really Electra i will go for the kanta centre as Electra heard is lower range as compare to kanta as kanta is made to replace them the Electra's beryllium driver is not the updated version

Offline LWCM

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 13:36 »
I am using MA for HT.

My personal "theory" is if can only upgrade one, I choose Centre over LR. As centre is where most of the dialogue and other sound come from in HT. Just my own theory haha but I do get better dialogue after upgrading centre. But of course can upgrade all then upgrade all.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 13:45 »
My personal "theory" is if can only upgrade one, I choose Centre over LR. As centre is where most of the dialogue and other sound come from in HT.

Same here too.

If the OP's usage is majority music, then maybe prioritise LR over centre better.

Offline DJQ

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2020, 13:19 »
progressively upgrade. of course there are some bros here using solely really good stereo setup with a big LED TV in front.
ProJect Q.