Author Topic: Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector  (Read 7688 times)

Offline kaaga

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2020, 02:57 »
 Very good review! I'm the owner of this projector myself and I'm going to test out your calibration settings.
Is there a type error in your Sony HDR calibration settings? Laser Level in HDR is only 30? Normally in HDR the more lumens the better? Can You explain please?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2020, 20:50 »
Very good review! I'm the owner of this projector myself and I'm going to test out your calibration settings.
Is there a type error in your Sony HDR calibration settings? Laser Level in HDR is only 30? Normally in HDR the more lumens the better? Can You explain please?

Not a typo error. The reason why I set to 30 for Laser Light Output for "HDR content" is because of the notorious bug that plagued all SONY projectors right now - i.e. the "blotchy patches" that surfaced in dimly lited scenes (low APL). This only affects HDR and I found that by lowering the laser output to 40 or less coupled with Smooth Gradient set to "Low" or "Middle" helps to minimize (bit not eliminate) those unsightly blotches. There is currently no solution and I'm waiting for Sony to fix this. The only solution (at least for me) is to engage HDR>SDR with gamut-mapping at BT2020. In 4K SDR BT2020, there is no such video anomaly.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2020, 22:33 »
Today I re-did my HDR calibration for my Projector using a different Input (Cinema Space 1). One of my gripes about Sony Projector is the "posterization" artefacts present during dark scenes. It only affect 4K HDR content and not SDR. Today, I changed some settings which helped in minimize/eliminate the "posterization" anomaly by a great extent. In my case, I no longer have this issue (at least for my projector and I can't say whether it works for VW760ES users). Here are my settings:

Under Brightness Control Setting
- Use the Spears & Munsil 4K HDR Evaluation Disc. Make sure select 600nits and BT2020 as the color primaries. Next go to Basic Video Calibration segment and bring up the Brightness test pattern. Make sure you are able to see the checkerboard pattern in the background by slowly bringing up the Brightness level until you see it. This is to allow the display to see BTB details. After adjustment, I ended up with "55" (your figure may vary depending on what you see on the Brightness test pattern). Make sure the Projector is displaying 4K HDR.

Under Contrast (HDR) Setting
- Adjust the setting accordingly to obtain a vibrant and dynamic image quality as opposed to the use of Contrast Enhancer which tends to blow out the specular highlights (clipping). I ended up with "65". Again this may vary as it depends on your setting on the Brightness level.

Under Cinema Black Pro Setting
- Set the Contrast Enhancer to "Low". Low setting is a good compromise between "Off" and dynamic detail presentation of the image.
- Set the Laser brightness level to around "40".
- Choose "Full" for Dynamic Iris

Under the Expert Setting
- Turn "off" Smooth Gradation

With the above modifications made, I have successfully eliminated at least 97% of the posterization anomaly. For those using thie Projector or the VW760ES, if you are like me, facing some posterization issue with the Sony projector, you can try the abovementioned settings to see if it helps. Give it a try today...STILL, you need to properly calibrate the Projector to obtain the best image.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 22:36 by desray »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal