Author Topic: Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector  (Read 7714 times)

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
Re: Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 15:35 »
Congrats Desray. happened so fast.  :)
Dynaudio Confidence, Center, Contour SR, IC 17
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65
TAOC ASR II, ASR III

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 17:32 »
Share some pics to let us drool

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 19:40 »
Already Looking forward to your review on this PJ, especially on HDR and the quality on tone mapping

Definitely need to check it out with the Tekno3d files, straight away can tell the class

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 06:58 »
Congrats Desray. happened so fast.  :)

It all started off with my JL Audio replacement program. For the longest time, I’ve tried to resist going to Adelphi in fear that I will be “poisoned”. True enough. I’ve got lots of thoughts going in my mind before I decided to get the Sony. I love the PQ of my JVC N7 but the JVC core sales team of today is not on par with the previous team led by James back then. The merge between Kenwood and JVC with most of the core sales team coming from the car audio, they are simply not responsive when I first email them regarding the availability a year ago. And of course not forgetting the whole fiasco in the JVC thread that really left me with a very negative impression. But all these so-called “human” problems can be cast aside whenever I saw the awesome PQ produced by the N7. And now with the recent introduction of the new feature called “FrameAdapt HDR”, HDR content is even better now with dynamic scene to scene tone mapping. Simply amazing to say the least.

My only wish for JVC Singapore (especially) going forward is to get their act together and put more heart and soul in what they do for their projector division. This is a classic case of a good product that falls into the wrong hands of a marketing team that is not doing any justice to the product. They got a gem in their hands and they don’t even know.

Just imagined, the N series was launched in late 2018. It has past a full year mark and Singapore only have so limited quantity of the N series. This is appalling and sad. Even a die hard fan of JVC will tell you that this is absurd. Even till this day, I have members PM me asking where they can get their hands on a N7 which in my opinion is more value for money and better built than N5 and my answer to them is always the same, pls check with Econav which is the exclusive distributor of JVC N series projector here in Singapore. Furthermore, Econav is able to provide 2 yrs of official warranty from JVC Singapore and there is NO OTHER LOCAL DEALER here that I know of is able to match that. So I urged most of them to wait for the stock to come in. Problem is, you will have to play the waiting game. For how long? I dunno but eventually it will happen.

All these stuff going on in my mind, I knew I have to make a decision. It’s fast but the decision making process is not as it takes a full year to mull over. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:04 by desray »

Offline DJQ

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 09:23 »
Nice, i have been to SD's new HT showroom. i was so impressed and it IS very poisonous. you go Adelphi walk pass every level, no way anyone can miss that BIG Screen, one must treat themselves to walk in to see what is 4K LASER PJ can do.

TAOC ASR II, ASR III

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 14:08 »
Nice, i have been to SD's new HT showroom. i was so impressed and it IS very poisonous. you go Adelphi walk pass every level, no way anyone can miss that BIG Screen, one must treat themselves to walk in to see what is 4K LASER PJ can do.

You sounded like you are either using it or interested to get one?

Offline whitesox

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 19:54 »

Surely we will enjoy but before knowing
MSRP is about $37K...  ;D
It is 5 times of my budget for PJ..

You need to bring your own water if you want to stay longer there for a demo... Very dry
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 19:57 by whitesox »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 09:52 »

Initial impression
OOTB white balance is off. At the default D65K reference level. There is simply too much "red" push in the lower IRE. This needs to be corrected. If you ever find your image has a "red" hue in dark scenes, you know you will need to do a proper calibration to get things right. After White Balance, Grayscale tracking and colorimetry (Chromacity test) are the 2 most important tweaks to get everything in place.

My i1 Display 3 seems to have some fungus growing inside the lens  :'( As such, I may need to purchase another one for the calibration to be more accurate.

Update:
Just purchased a new meter for $600+. I will redo the calibration again. Anyway, I have completed the calibration earlier this morning using the existing i1 Display Pro (assuming they fungus in the lens isn’t affecting the final results).

In brief, Delta E (Ae) for my grayscale is about 2.40 thereabouts. As long as it is below 4.0, it’s considered good. For the chromacity test, it exceeds  the 4.0 threshold but it should not have an impact during normal viewing. The P3 colour is about 74.6% (measured) but Rec709 (measured) is about 99.3% which is near perfect. I will share more when I redo my calibration when the new meter arrives.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 17:19 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 17:48 »
Some screencaps on the 4K/60fps Gemini Man. My iPhone XS Max doesn't do justice to the PQ and I'm using 2x optical zoom which makes the image slightly softer. Not as powerful as iPhone 11 camera lens but this is the best I can do.

Click to zoom in

Click to zoom in

Click to zoom in

Gamma Settings
Gamma setting is extremely important to reveal the shadow details. Look at the creases on Will Smith's shirt and the surroundings to get a good sense of what gamma setting to use. For this Sony projector, the correct setting should be 2.2. At 2.4, there is some slight black crush. If you find the Gamma 2.2 setting a tad flat, you can use "Low" setting in the Contrast Enhancer option to increase pop without crushing the blacks.

Click to zoom in

Click to zoom in

More to come...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 17:50 by desray »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 19:06 »
How is the HDR10 quality on this one ? The tone mapping quality from the Pj ?

Offline DJQ

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 01:35 »
You sounded like you are either using it or interested to get one?

Nope. Not for me at that price. I am contented with my current 4K PJ.
TAOC ASR II, ASR III

Offline whitesox

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 07:44 »
Some screencaps on the 4K/60fps Gemini Man. My iPhone XS Max doesn't do justice to the PQ and I'm using 2x optical zoom which makes the image slightly softer. Not as powerful as iPhone 11 camera lens but this is the best I can do.

Click to zoom in

Click to zoom in

Gamma Settings
Gamma setting is extremely important to reveal the shadow details. Look at the creases on Will Smith's shirt and the surroundings to get a good sense of what gamma setting to use. For this Sony projector, the correct setting should be 2.2. At 2.4, there is some slight black crush. If you find the Gamma 2.2 setting a tad flat, you can use "Low" setting in the Contrast Enhancer option to increase pop without crushing the blacks.

Click to zoom in

Click to zoom in

More to come...

Hi bro,
I am not sure whether it is due to my Samsung LED monitor but I think
It (skin tone) looks towards the reddish-yellow picture.

What do you think?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 08:36 »
Hi bro,
I am not sure whether it is due to my Samsung LED monitor but I think
It (skin tone) looks towards the reddish-yellow picture.

What do you think?

I’m waiting for my new colorimeter to do another round of calibration. But in terms of white balance, the delta error is well below 3.0. In layman terms, the primaries and secondaries should be fairly accurate. However we are unable to account for Sony’s proprietary Triliminous effects on the colorimeter. Triluminous colors are wider than REC 709 and can go beyond P3-DCI making the colors redder than red or yellower than yellow in certain respect. The Gemini man is a 4K rip but downscaled from 10bit HDR to 8bit SDR. Hence Color space has changed to a certain extent. Until I get my hands on the new colorimeter can I see how far my old colorimeter deviates from the standards. The current colorimeter seems to have some fungus formation within the lens housing hence accuracy may or may not be affected.

The display you are viewing the screen cap also plays an important part. Is your display monitor properly calibrated etc. Many variables to consider.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 14:05 »
Some members have asked me about the review for this Projector...The new colorimeter just arrived today.

I have actually completed the first round of calibration on the 2nd day of CNY. Anyway, just to give you guys a hint...this is either the easiest Projector to calibrate or the hardest, depending on what you want to achieve here. For me, this is about the hardest projector for me to do a calibration. The color and gamma kept drifting despite the fact that I've got a good grayscale tracking. Laser illumination is part of the problem as it is a solution for better HDR PQ.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 10:34 »
I have completed my full calibration for my VW870ES with the new meter yesterday. Results is now much better for Rec709 compared to last time (I did on the 2nd day of the CNY). I will share more of my calibration settings real soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal