Author Topic: Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector  (Read 7686 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector
« on: January 21, 2020, 22:20 »

Finally getting my hands on a true laser-based 4K UHD Projector...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 22:22 by desray »

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 00:47 »
Congrats....  :)

But I thought you don't like Sony....   LOL

(Audio)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Sony VPL-VW870ES/VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Projector
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 06:31 »
Congrats....  :)

But I thought you don't like Sony....   LOL

(Audio)

Thanks Bro Audio, I do cycle between the 2 brands from time to time. See which brand gives me value for money and get me closer to the laser route. Apparently SONY caught my attention or should I say the recent visit to SD caught my attention and thanks to Sammy’s recommendation, I get a taste of the new 870ES in action. I’m actually about to set my eyes on the 2 yrs plus generation (760ES) but I did not have the opportunity to see it “in action” as SD only have 870ES for demo. I was rather impressed by the overall picture quality, the use of ARC-F 18 true glass len assembly does make the picture pin sharp. Something I never see in a projector after all these years.

The last time I audition a laser projector from SONY was the Uber expensive 5000ES. That’s almost 3 yrs ago. The price of laser has gone down “a little” though not by much for an average joe’s humble income (such as myself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:37 by desray »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:03 »
Thanks Bro Audio, I do cycle between the 2 brands from time to time. See which brand gives me value for money and get me closer to the laser route. Apparently SONY caught my attention or should I say the recent visit to SD caught my attention and thanks to Sammy’s recommendation, I get a taste of the new 870ES in action. I’m actually about to set my eyes on the 2 yrs plus generation (760ES) but I did not have the opportunity to see it “in action” as SD only have 870ES for demo. I was rather impressed by the overall picture quality, the use of ARC-F 18 true glass len assembly does make the picture pin sharp. Something I never see in a projector after all these years.

The last time I audition a laser projector from SONY was the Uber expensive 5000ES. That’s almost 3 yrs ago. The price of laser has gone down “a little” though not by much for an average joe’s humble income (such as myself).

Oh....Sammy's recommendation.  LOL!!   Sony Singapore so lucky to have him.

(Audio)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 19:07 »
Wahhh!! Congrats desray ! Sony 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻, good stuff good choice

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:12 »

Bro, congrats on your new toy. Moving up to high end display huh? How many years warranty is it? Just make sure you will be taken care of through after sales and Sony support.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 08:25 »
Bro, congrats on your new toy. Moving up to high end display huh? How many years warranty is it? Just make sure you will be taken care of through after sales and Sony support.

It’s 5 yrs from Sony (Singapore). Peace of mind. I have mentioned many times in the past that laser projector is the final route that I will eventually take. So it’s not a surprise. The only surprise is I didn’t expect to get it so fast.

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 08:30 »
Congrats Des to your new found love
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI / Natural White , Phantom Grey / Black Mambo II / (New Titanium Grey & Black Crystal )  increase contrast in different ambient condition .JKP HD calibration disc  / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 10:47 »
It’s 5 yrs from Sony (Singapore). Peace of mind. I have mentioned many times in the past that laser projector is the final route that I will eventually take. So it’s not a surprise. The only surprise is I didn’t expect to get it so fast.

Sony lover here.. I wonder how much is it?

Offline eggz

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 11:14 »
Congrats Des! sounds like an awesome PJ!

Offline alzda23

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 11:24 »
Hi Desray

Looking for some opinions, currently am using a Long throw Sony PJ, thinking of jumping into laser based PJ. I am still leaning towards Sony PJ but recent years we saw introduction of UST laser projectors from north. What would be your consideration factor between UST and the below if price GAP for Sony UST to be lowered? Anything we would miss out in terms of picture quality or ?

Sony UST looks nice and seems to save hassle mounting. But they do inflict a bigger hole in the pockets...

Finally getting my hands on a true laser-based 4K UHD Projector...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 12:08 »
Hi Desray

Looking for some opinions, currently am using a Long throw Sony PJ, thinking of jumping into laser based PJ. I am still leaning towards Sony PJ but recent years we saw introduction of UST laser projectors from north. What would be your consideration factor between UST and the below if price GAP for Sony UST to be lowered? Anything we would miss out in terms of picture quality or ?

Sony UST looks nice and seems to save hassle mounting. But they do inflict a bigger hole in the pockets...

I’m a tinkerer meaning I like to do calibration and decide for myself what’s the best PQ I can achieve for a Projector. You can’t do that on a UST laser based projector. If SONY UST is able to reach a reasonable price range and you dun buy into this calibration thinghy, then yes, it is worth it, otherwise projector is still the way to go for more control over your PQ.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 12:11 »
Sony lover here.. I wonder how much is it?

MSRP is about $37K.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 12:54 »
Unlike Desray, I am not a projector tweaker.   I have never need to tweak because my Sony projectors comes OK right out of the box.

(Audio)

Offline sypderman88

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 12:58 »
Congrats bro...4k laser with very good quality lens is the way to go especially image stability..sharpness, lack of image noise (JVC is prone to this) and wide color gamut spectrum....For the black level, if pj have proper laser dimming algorithm, it is actually close to the naked eyes to JVC....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal